Missing out?

Sep 1, 2007
I was just wondering, after seeing people perform and performing myself and seeing the audience or your friends reactions, does anyone feel like they are missing out.

when we perform miracles that just seem impossible the feeling of seeing that must be amazing. I can not remember the last time i had that.

Mainly because i know that someone used this sleight and that move or they done this and that so we can figure some stuff out. I love doing magic but sometimes i wish an actual wizard would walk up to me and blow my mind so i can have that same feeling of the ever lasting reaction of OH MY GOD.

to be fair i am always impressed with the theory 11 team don't get me wrong but because i know so much about magic and sleights it just doesn't feel the same. Even though there is always room to improve and learn more.

so i was wondering does anyone else feel the same?

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Well, from my point of view as magicians we are still amazed but in a different way. I constantly find myself amazed by other magicians not because I don't know how they did it, but by there method. "Whoa! Thats so awesome/simple this guy is a genius." And as a magician, I find myself more amazed by the "magical" and artful things in life. Maybe you are just looking to hard for amazement, when it could possibly be right there in front of you. As one of my friends, Josh Torres, told me one day when I was having lots of internal conflicts, "Just let go and take it all in."

-Cyrus

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I highly recommend going to see a top magician perform. :D

I think part of the problem is that we can't help but disallow ourselves from enjoying the magic, all too often we start analysing a trick as it goes along and openly saying aloud (And don't tell me you haven't done it when you're on your own :p) "Double Lift" or something similar.

I went to Aaron Fisher's lecture last night in Coventry - He absolutely BLEW MY MIND. I'm not joking, I knew exactly what he was doing for most of the tricks (He performed stuff from his book "The Paper Engine") But I couldn't see him doing it and that in itself made me feel that magic again. I thought to myself "What if I didn't know he was doing that" and then thought "I'd be pretty damn amazed" That's not to say I wasn't amazed, I was... Ridiculously amazed - Anyone reading this who's been to his lecture will probably tell you the same thing.

The point I'm trying to get at is, not to be discouraged by the fact you might not be able to experience magic the same way - find another way to experience it. Go watch some fantastic magic and just let yourself in on the experience - let yourself be fooled, let yourself be amazed at the skill heck just let yourself have a fun time.

That's just my point of view on things :)

- Sean

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
See Juan Tamariz live, performing for magicians.

You WILL feel that wow again.

I am not talking about the things you see him do on youtube, but watch him work for magicians, he will fry you.

I feel a "wow" everytime I perform. Everytime I bring joy and wonder to a spectator I feel a "wow". It's the BEST feeling. How many people can truly play with emotions and make people's day in the matter of moments?

That's the most amazing thing we can do and we see everytime we perform.

Mitchell

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I was just wondering, after seeing people perform and performing myself and seeing the audience or your friends reactions, does anyone feel like they are missing out.

when we perform miracles that just seem impossible the feeling of seeing that must be amazing. I can not remember the last time i had that.

Mainly because i know that someone used this sleight and that move or they done this and that so we can figure some stuff out. I love doing magic but sometimes i wish an actual wizard would walk up to me and blow my mind so i can have that same feeling of the ever lasting reaction of OH MY GOD.

to be fair i am always impressed with the theory 11 team don't get me wrong but because i know so much about magic and sleights it just doesn't feel the same. Even though there is always room to improve and learn more.

so i was wondering does anyone else feel the same?

Well, it is a small price you pay for being part of the art, which is one reason I advise people who say they are going to look up a trick online to think twice. However, it also helps me to pick out what I would like to practice next. If I see an effect performed, and it leaves me with that warm feeling, than it has to leave your spectators floored (an assumption, of course, there are some people who just aren't amazed at anything).

For me, though, seeing that look on the audiences face and it being due to me is more than worth it.

-ThrallMind

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results