Mnemonica Memorisation Help

Dec 3, 2017
Hey guys,

I'm hoping some of you can help me somehow.
So recently, over the past couple of weeks or so, I have been trying to learn the Mnemonica stack. Now I'm not entirely sure how to word this but, I can with ease recite most cards of the deck without failure each time, IN ORDER.

However, when it comes to, for example, remembering a card from a number, eg 34 --> 10 os, I have either no luck, or take at least 5 seconds to remember its correlating card, and this is usually from counting up from a memorised card (if that makes sense), and not because it is imprinted in memory.

Essentially, the cards are not sticking in my mind when it comes to remembering them NOT in their order 1 through 52. It seems a lot more laborious than what Tamariz makes it seem in the book, and I honestly am not entirely sure whether it's my method of learning, or if I am genuinely a slower learner when it comes to this, (I am known to have quite a good memory, so it doesn't really add up).

I have even resorted to using an app to help with the stack, and it has helped a bit, although I am completely hopeless at remembering a card which comes before/after a certain card (which I am told is almost essential, and tells you that you have learnt the stack properly and effectively).

I hope this all makes sense, I am sorry if I have not phrased it entirely correctly, but I hope some of you have some suggestions as to how you learnt, and got over the struggles and difficulties when learning Mnemonica.

Thank you all.

Dec 3, 2017
Are you singing and does your song include the number of the card? Did you draw pictures on a deck?

I tried the audial method, but it came to no avail, so I gave up.
I have not tried pictures on the deck? Is that a huge error?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Use all of them.

Memory is like a giant web. The more things you have that lead you to the correct answer, the better. So a song, a picture, a mental image - use it all.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Use all of them.

Memory is like a giant web. The more things you have that lead you to the correct answer, the better. So a song, a picture, a mental image - use it all.

Exactly. Sing the song with the numbers to a tune you like. "One is the four of clubs, two is the two of hearts; Three is the seven of diamonds, four is the three of clubs." Draw pictures on the front. Use the muscular method. Use the conceptual method and the security methods for ones you are having problems with. Once you get better, draw numbers on the backs of the deck and use them like flash cards. Then shuffle the cards and use them as flash cards.

Reactions: tayoh

RickU

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2013
Is the Mnemonica superior over other stacked sorts?

If so - why is it better?

Sorry I’ve not read Tamariz so excuse my ignorance but I’m seeing this stack come up a few times and it’s drawn my curiosity

Dec 3, 2017
Exactly. Sing the song with the numbers to a tune you like. "One is the four of clubs, two is the two of hearts; Three is the seven of diamonds, four is the three of clubs." Draw pictures on the front. Use the muscular method. Use the conceptual method and the security methods for ones you are having problems with. Once you get better, draw numbers on the backs of the deck and use them like flash cards. Then shuffle the cards and use them as flash cards.
Great, thanks for the tips. When you say draw pictures, what exactly does that mean? Something correlating to the card?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Is the Mnemonica superior over other stacked sorts?

If so - why is it better?

Sorry I’ve not read Tamariz so excuse my ignorance but I’m seeing this stack come up a few times and it’s drawn my curiosity

The best full deck stacks are Mnemonica and Aronson. They both allow you to do similar things based on knowing the order and location of the cards in the deck and each has certain effects that can only be done with that specific stack. The other difference is how you can get into the stacks from new deck order (which is different with Spanish cards than the U.S.) . A great post is HERE.

Great, thanks for the tips. When you say draw pictures, what exactly does that mean? Something correlating to the card?

See pages 24 through 28 of Mnemonica. It isn't my material to teach.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results