MoJoe's Review: Centurions

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
When reading reviews, the average forum browser should always be aware of context, balance and bias. It's hard to trust a review filled with nothing but florid praise or awful slams. It's also difficult to know how reliable the review is, based on the experience of the writer. So let me give you some caveats: I'm a longtime magician, but only with self-working tricks and gaffs. I never seriously studied sleight of hand until about two years ago. I know three or four flourishes and can do one of them really well. I am an E fanboy who thinks that Ghosts are the best cards ever made.

All that should make this sentence stand out: Centurions are fast becoming some of my favorite cards.

The deck is T11's second foray into a custom deck, and is a worthy successor to Guardians. The black back's design is chiseled and not as grainy, the cards perform better and are more durable. They are a shade thicker than Ghosts, about a card thicker than brown Wynns, thinner than Guardians and the same size as Masters.

Several design features of the deck will be appreciated by magicians who know how to use them, including a somewhat subtle, one-way back and a double-backed card. The unique back and red-gray-black color scheme of the face cards bring a different look to a traditional deck of cards, which impresses the one or two rare audience members who are more observant about cards. Plus, I've always appreciated T11's take on a black deck.

Because my cherished Ghosts were threatened, I was a little harder on the Centurions. I tested them for a much longer period than decks I have reviewed in the past. Results: Their finish came in second place to the UV 500 on the Ghosts, which fan better for longer. But the finish is the highest quality of any T11 deck I've used. Tricks such as Aaron Fisher's covered backslip force, David Kong's Mercury and Danny Garcia's Fallen are easily facilitated with this deck (those who know will know why). And the Centurions outperformed Ghosts on a humid afternoon by keeping their snap, resisting clumps and recovering from bends (Centurions aren't indestructible: Of course they suffered in the humidity).

My only disappointments are with some design foibles. The jokers look like they received more design attention than the ace of spades. The gray-scale gradients are grainier than Ghosts. And a deck designed for magicians should have more magic-related features, such as a joker-reveal or a trick box. If it wasn't for the deck's performance and Baroque-Civil War design, this would be a plain-jane deck with nothing to offer magicians

Thank goodness it's not, however. The Centurions perform better than they look. While cardists may struggle with the slick backs, magicians will pick them up and command them with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
First of all, thanks for the background info! That goes through my mind every time I read a review, especially the ones by 14 year olds on youtube who overuse the word "stock" because Wayne said it in the E promo videos for the Masters. :p Glad to know you have some credibility behind your words.

With that said, I agree with you a lot. I can't tell if I like Centurions or Guardians better (still experimenting), but they are definitely a step up from almost all other cards with their design alone. The T11 site design is simply dark and cool, and the cards lived up to that theme and actually surpased it in some ways in my opinion. However, the design alone can't make a deck awesome. Thankfully, the Centurions & Guardians both felt pretty damn good. I think we can all go on for paragraphs and paragraphs comparing cards, but I do want to say I'm glad to hear someone say they use a mix of cards. I am constrantly switching between cards all the time. Tally's still seem to come out on top 99% of the time though. ;) Anyways, I use T11 cards only when I'm performing for people who have already seen me before, or who I know trusts me (I do both magic & cardistry, and I practice/perform both with what ever cards I have). They are eye candy and 'practice candy' for me, and I am totally cool with that. When it really comes down to it though, you cannot go wrong with Bikes & Tally's. No hype, no skepticism. Just regular house hold cards.

By the way, (maybe I should make a new thread for this) do the UV 500 finished really do anything different than the Air Cushion Finish? I know the Linoid Finish on Tally's makes a difference, but I don't think UV 500 finish does as much as it is hyped up to do. Every time I get something that is hyped up, I try to spot placebo effects. I actually convinced myself that Masters were simply better cards, when the differences truly were too subtle to notice, or at least not for me.

I must admit though, I have only cared about using cards other than Bikes from 7/11 for about a year now, so I have a long way to go with figuring out all the things there are to know about cards.

Sep 5, 2007
hey krazytim.
airflow by E is probably one of the finest finish i have yes to come come across with. second only to the linoid finish. well that is based on my personal taste.
for me, there is actually a very big difference between air cushion and airlflow.
the most noticable is the slip airlfow delivers. decks with airlfow finish are very very slippery. i recomend you to break them a bit before actually using them because you will most likely drop a lot of cards when you use them brand new out of the box.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
By the way, do the UV 500 finished really do anything different than the Air Cushion Finish? I know the Linoid Finish on Tally's makes a difference, but I don't think UV 500 finish does as much as it is hyped up to do.

I would swear by it, because I love to fan cards. The finish is what keeps the Ghosts at the top of my list of favorite cards.

Here's one method I use to test a deck's finish:
~ Hold the deck in Biddle grip, right hand, about an inch above a table and parallel to it.
~ Move your right ring finger to the side of the deck. and give the deck a small toss to the left.
~ Observe how the cards slide to the left. What you're looking for is how far the top card will slide from the bottom, and how evenly the cards spread.

Of course, a better way to test the finish is to fan them. ANYWAY... cards with the UV 500 finish slide farther for a longer period of time, in my experience.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Interesting test, I just tried it with a bunch of decks with noticeable differences in both directions. :)

By the way, I've had a bunch of decks, and I've gone through a few of each kind as well. I am discovering more and more over time that it is really simply about personal preference. There is no such this as "the best cards" because everyone's hands and needs for cards are different. For now, I use about 6 different playing cards, and over time I hope to shrink that down to maybe 2 or 3. Many of E's cards are simply collectibles imo. I mean, the 1800 series were elegant eye candy, but the moment I saw them on Phenomenon I was turned off by them almost completely because of how cheesy that show was.

These threads are way to easy to get off topic with, I need to stop myself from going off on rants :p

Sep 13, 2007
Franklin, OH
I still need to try centurions...blarg.

I started magic through E and black tigers and ghosts and whatnot. Spent a few grand on dvd's and books, props, gaffs, and the like.

Then I grew up a bit in my magical tastes and realized E is bad for you. Thank god for Theory 11 and their wonderful ways.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results