Monarchs unlimited?

Sep 10, 2016
Hello! Could someone please tell me why the most beautiful deck of Monarchs are supplied in such a limited number? Why Gold Monarchs ans NYSM 2 Edition are not unlimited so people can buy them anytime they want? Theory 11 release them, they went sold out in no time, and now we buy them from third party sites or people who grabbed them immediately after launch. Gold and silver back designs are timeless, they will always be prefered by card enthousiasts. From a commercial point of view, Theory 11 should make them available all the time and would make a big profit. Surely they can make a rare edition by adding some extra features (signed edition, more exclusive tucks etc), but come on, silver and gold should be available. Monarchs are their signature deck, after all. We now see that gold and silver foils are used more and more in decks and people look for them because they look so good, it would be a breeze for T11 to make their signature deck available for the masses in these combinations. They would sell like crazy! Thank you!

Mar 2, 2016
But then they wouldn't be special, and therefore diminish not only the monetary value, but the personal sentimental value too.

Sep 10, 2016
Yes David, you have a point, of course. But T11 could make an exclusive line of Monarchs with some extra features that would make them valuable and more expensive, and, make silver (and possibly gold) back foil available so people can buy/train/enjoy them. For instance I hesitate to buy another deck of regular Monarchs since the last one had some irregular borders, they aren't cut perfectly even. They look bad. Now I'm thinking that if I buy a brick I could end up with 4 decks with the same fault. The NYSM 2 deck are, on the other hand, flawless, perfectly cut edges and the back design (black/silver) looks stunning. But then again, they're sold out :)

Mar 2, 2016
Yes David, you have a point, of course. But T11 could make an exclusive line of Monarchs with some extra features that would make them valuable and more expensive, and, make silver (and possibly gold) back foil available so people can buy/train/enjoy them. For instance I hesitate to buy another deck of regular Monarchs since the last one had some irregular borders, they aren't cut perfectly even. They look bad. Now I'm thinking that if I buy a brick I could end up with 4 decks with the same fault. The NYSM 2 deck are, on the other hand, flawless, perfectly cut edges and the back design (black/silver) looks stunning. But then again, they're sold out :)

But if this was the case, you'd probably be saying the same thing about the cards with extra features that you would want to replace the gold monarchs with.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
There are several reasons to do Limited Edition runs of a deck!

First off, Monarchs are 'unlimited'. The Navy (original) version has been available since the initial printing. The Red and Green versions are also unlimited editions that are still in print now. The Silver version was also 'unlimited' and was available for a long time before we stopped printing it in favor of other styles. We printed those several times.

That said, it is not reasonable to reprint every color forever. We have printed Navy, White, Silver, Red, Green, Gold and Black (NYSM2). We don't need 7 different colors at any given time, and neither do our customers. While we don't need a ton of different colors at the same time, it is fun to release something unexpected every once in a while. Right now we have three available colors, and every once in a while we release something as a limited edition item to spice things up. Now You See Me 2 Monarchs were just that, something new and fun we printed when the opportunity presented itself to work with the team from the movie. Gold Monarchs are a fun prize and promotional item. Limited edition decks allow us to do these other colors and styles. If we only printed 'unlimited' decks, there wouldn't be more than two or three colors of this deck.

Card collectors love limited edition decks too. While we never sell our decks at crazy prices just because they are limited edition, people still like to be a part of something special, or to own a small piece of history. Limited edition decks allow collectors to do just that. If you were around when they were released, you will have had the opportunity to own one or more of these decks.

The signature version of the Monarch deck is, and always will be, the original Navy Blue. Every other color exists because the original was, and still is, so popular.

For instance I hesitate to buy another deck of regular Monarchs since the last one had some irregular borders, they aren't cut perfectly even. They look bad.

Every single deck printed by the US Playing Card Company has a small chance of being printed off center. In fact, it is extremely rare for a deck to be PERFECTLY centered. The vast majority are printed very close to perfect. Getting a machine that prints and cuts thousands of decks in only a few minutes to keep those decks cut nice and centered is an amazing feat.

Most decks that are really off-center are caught in quality control, but there are always a few that are slightly off center that make it into circulation. Every deck, including the NYSM2 Monarchs, will be have a few decks like this. The NYSM2 Monarchs don't have any special printing process to make them better centered. It sounds like you just ended up with an original Monarch deck that had an alignment issue. If you ever have an issue like that, let our support team know HERE so they can help sort it out for you.

// L

Sep 10, 2016
Thank you very much Lyle for taking your time to give me such a long, decent and satisfying explanation. Your answer makes a lot of sense and really helps me see the things differently. I really appreciate the effort and understanding. Monarchs still remain my favourite deck. Thanks! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results