Monarchs

Dec 17, 2012
Brighton
Does anyone have any idea when the monarchs started getting made with the thin borders? Also if it is possible to obtain the thicker border cards from anywhere?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Does anyone have any idea when the monarchs started getting made with the thin borders? Also if it is possible to obtain the thicker border cards from anywhere?

All Monarchs since December of 2012 have featured the new thin borders, so if you're a fan of of the thicker border cards, it would likely need to be before that time. Personally, I strongly prefer the thin border design as more of the art can be seen (especially in fans).

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hey Tyler!

The same time we transitioned into the thin border Monarchs we also changed the sticker seal on the box from having a smooth edge to having a die-cut, stamp-like edge on the seal. The new seal is red, but it has the same edge as the Red Monarch seal you can see in our photos.

Have a great week!

// L

Chadmcmillan

Elite Member
Feb 17, 2013
Alabama seal on Monarch tuck case bottom

I have several Monarchs (Navy) that have these seals on the bottom of the tuck. Any significance to this or just a different production facility marking? I've had several collectors say that they've never seen this before, but I don't know if it's really just typical of this batch. Anyone know?

photo 7.jpg

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Not from us! That seal does not exist on Monarch boxes as shipped from our warehouse. Very odd. Where did you pick those up? Is that seal under the cello? I've never seen it before. Any chance we can get a clearer photo?

// L

[Update]

Found it. Alabama charges a $0.10 tax per deck of playing cards, and they require a tax stamp affixed to each deck to indicate that this has been paid. The US Government used to do something similar (hence old tax stamps where we have simply seals today). This would likely have been afixed by the shop selling the decks.

For more info - http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

The section on playing cards can be found at Title 40, Chapter 12, Article 2, §144

// L

Last edited by a moderator:

Chadmcmillan

Elite Member
Feb 17, 2013
Not from us! That seal does not exist on Monarch boxes as shipped from our warehouse. Very odd. Where did you pick those up? Is that seal under the cello? I've never seen it before. Any chance we can get a clearer photo?

// L

[Update]

Found it. Alabama charges a $0.10 tax per deck of playing cards, and they require a tax stamp affixed to each deck to indicate that this has been paid. The US Government used to do something similar (hence old tax stamps where we have simply seals today). This would likely have been afixed by the shop selling the decks.

For more info - http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/acas/CodeOfAlabama/1975/coatoc.htm

The section on playing cards can be found at Title 40, Chapter 12, Article 2, §144

// L

The funny thing is that the tax stamp is under the cello. Weird.

Apr 17, 2013
My silver monarchs have a smooth red seal so i'm guessing those are thick boarders.

Brendan H.(4)

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
My silver monarchs have a smooth red seal so i'm guessing those are thick boarders.

Since the Silver Monarchs is a white back with black line design, it's technically only a thick boarder by definition. It can never really have a thin border unless Theory11 changes the linework to push it further to the image. I'm guessing all Silver Monarchs will always be "thick borders" where as the Red and regular Monarchs, have the white line work over a solid colour with the white borders. That solid colour can expand out to help shrink the borders.

Apr 17, 2013
Since the Silver Monarchs is a white back with black line design, it's technically only a thick boarder by definition. It can never really have a thin border unless Theory11 changes the linework to push it further to the image. I'm guessing all Silver Monarchs will always be "thick borders" where as the Red and regular Monarchs, have the white line work over a solid colour with the white borders. That solid colour can expand out to help shrink the borders.

Didn't know that. These were a throw in from another site on a purchase I made on some books. They have never been opened just went into the pile of random decks that I might find a use for.

Brendan H.(4)

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
krab1

You should open them up and check them out; they're a really nice deck, but if you don't want to open them, just head over to the store section of Theory11's site and you can see pictures of the Silver Monarchs.

Apr 17, 2013
krab1

You should open them up and check them out; they're a really nice deck, but if you don't want to open them, just head over to the store section of Theory11's site and you can see pictures of the Silver Monarchs.

Yeah I'm thinking they are going to stay in the box. I go through three or four decks a gig and another six to ten making gaffs and practice per week. The price is a bit steep.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results