Money Issue

Jan 23, 2008
I know i've made a mistake by not making my money arrangements when scheduling and I'm not going to that again but today I have a gig where I've been working on for weeks and have put in at least $50 into the show buying candy glow-sticks and many other things that associate with the magic. This Time I'm doing one show for a group of kids for a girls Bday party for an outstanding hour and a half, but this same family last time when I did 3 shows for different kids for them I got payed 15 dollars when I put in about 25 dollars worth of prep. how should I get the money that I at least need to get the money back that I payed for the show??? Thanks

Sorry I suck at typing and proof reading sorry if it doesn't make total sense.

Dec 14, 2007
Well, you can't.

If you agreed to a price, you are obligated to deliver at that price. Sometimes in business we make mistakes. Sometimes this is poor planning on our part, sometimes other supplier's costs cause us to go over budget.

There is nothing you can do about it. If you set a price, you must honor that price.

Next time, you have a better idea of what to charge.

Brad Henderson

Jan 23, 2008
Well, you can't.

If you agreed to a price, you are obligated to deliver at that price. Sometimes in business we make mistakes. Sometimes this is poor planning on our part, sometimes other supplier's costs cause us to go over budget.

There is nothing you can do about it. If you set a price, you must honor that price.

Next time, you have a better idea of what to charge.

Brad Henderson

We Haven't set on a price when My show is finished she goes to her purse and see what she haas and then pays me we haven't yet set a price

Oct 25, 2007
If that's the case then just talk to her and charge what you feel is adequate for your performance.

If she refuses then take what she offers you and let it serve you as a lesson for the future,....agree on a price before the show.

Charge her more. Explain to her that what you do takes time, effort, and practice, and is worth more than fifteen dollars, especially when you have spent a considerable amount of money in preparing a show for her child.

Jun 4, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
i hope you've been reading your other thread that you made because there's already been alot of great advice given to you.

as for the money goes you need to be straight forward with her and set a price before you perform. if she says its too much, tell her what you've done to prepare for the show and try to sell her on the effects that your gonna do.

if that doenst work then dont do the show and return the stuff that you bought.

Dec 14, 2007
This needs to be handled tactfully.

After the show thank her for the opportunity to perform again. Mention that you had a great time not only performing but in putting together something special for the kids.

Here's where it gets tricky. You need to tell her what you spent. But you can't make it look like extortion.

Maybe the best approach is to be honest:

"Thanks so much. I appreciate the chance to perform for you again. Before you decide on a price I just wanted you to know that I decided to invest in several items - the candy, the glow sticks - because I thought your daughter and her friends would enjoy them. I know that we did not set a fee, but I just wanted you to know that I included these items. Thanks again, and I am super grateful for whatever you felt the show was worth."

It's not perfect, but it might work.

Anyone else?

Brad

Nov 30, 2007
I think that she doesn't feel that you are being professional enough maybe. She may think that it is kind of "a thank you for performing, here is 15 bucks" kind of thing. You need to tell her that you have practiced hard for this and payed a good amount into the show. I would ask for maybe 40 dollars or 35 dollars (it is hard because I do not know your skill). I would not spend 50 dollars though on a kids magic show. 50 dollars is pretty high if they are one time items and cannot be used again. If you paid 50 dollars though for tricks that you can use again and again, it is not fair for her to pay the 50 dollars herself because then you can have others help pay off that 50 dollars when you perform for them. Best of luck in making a decision!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results