money

Nov 13, 2016
I know that there probably a few old threads on this but ill ask anyway.
The fact is magic is pricey so how do you afford it ?
Is it performances?street? etc......
Answers are appreciated (as always).
PS. Enjoy spinning the wheel and good luck.

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
How I self-funded my education was by working restaurants, ideally ones with longer wait-times. A nice looking suit, a few good card routines, and work hard. The tricks don't have to be cutting edge, ultra difficult tricks. Oil & Water, ambitious card, coin sleights, ring tricks, they tricks don't have to be at the level of Copperfield to help diners pass the time before the food is done. Plus it's a good place to try out new patter for an existing trick. I spent a year working basically the same concept with a dozen different patter presentations.

When you can afford more expensive tricks, keep on doing the older routines until you have the new ones perfected and then cycle them into your performances. The magician is where the magic is, the tricks are just interested presentation pieces. Once you figure out how to keep a crowd invested in what you're doing, you can do the safety pin gag and have people begging to see it again.

Nov 13, 2016
Thanx I have quite allot of (good)card routines (picked some from david blaine) bought just a few (tornado is brilliant btw)and read so much I cant even remember half of it .I do ghost touches ,pin code divination and allot more .I guess the problem is that im performing to guys in my college and well not getting paid. (Bar work sadly isnt an option at the moment and performing on the street well...I've been debating if its worth it (I have exceedingly small amount of free time.))
So well maybe my question is answered (?)I dunno.
At the moment I just love learning and performing magic .

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Short version? Save up and be picky about what you buy.

Longer version:

Magic gets very expensive when you are indiscriminate about what you buy. Also, if you buy without properly studying the material. Chances are, 90% of us on this forum have more material than they will ever perform in their lives. I am absolutely including myself there.

But if you are careful and discriminate then you can spend a lot less. Books and lectures are more valuable than one-off downloads. I've spent upwards of $400 a limited edition mentalism set without blinking an eye. I will wait to spend $10 on a one-off download until I have an exact idea of what I would use it for in performance.

Having limited funds is a blessing in disguise for magicians. It means you have to think about what you're buying and try to get the most value out of your purchases. And because you're not constantly getting new tricks, you are forced to develop what you already know until it's as good as it can get.

Personally I fund my purchases by having a job that pays me decently and not a lot of bills. For big purchases I set money aside until I have enough - unless it's a limited thing that I have to snatch up, then I use my credit card and pay it off as soon as possible.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Buy books. The biggest bang for your buck is still to buy classic books, visit the library, and save your other purchases for magic that you have researched well and are sure you will use.

Reactions: RealityOne
Sep 13, 2014
Money isn't a huge concern for me but I do trade or sell effects/gimmicks I no longer use with others.

That being said, there are lots of ways (legally) to make side money. Especially online. Microjobs, selling things on Etsy or Ebay, doing Fiverr gigs...etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results