Motivation

Hello, my name is william mckeehan i have been playing with cards and studying card magic for almost a year. that feels like quite a bit of time, i have performed just single tricks for people sometimes with success and sometimes with failers. I am 20 years old and i really love the art of magic. But i am still not very good. i learned about 5 tricks, i practice the slieghts alot and try my best. I dont perform as much as i should and i know this. I get very nervous i try hard. I guess why im writing this is i would like some motivation from other magicians. I think it would help alot. I really want to do well but it can be hard some times. im bit of a shy person but im not going to give up. i want to make up nice patter because im having trouble in that area of showmanship, i also want to build up to a routine with the tricks i know... but i find it to be hard. Sorry if i sound like im venting or rambling i sort of am, I dont know any one else thats into magic so im turning to the internet. So you can make fun of me or whatever but just any Motivating words would probably do me alot of good. Thank you for reading and sorry for the some one pointless post.

-William McKeehan

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I don't think this is a pointless post at all.

From what it sounds like, you're doing great- learning a few tricks and perfecting them. It seems like you're falling short in the actual performance of the tricks, which, unfortunately, can only be corrected by going out in the street and doing that which you fear (perform for random people!).

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Best of luck,
Ben

Thanks for the advice, and yes performing for random people is tough but i have done it a bit... have to just keep practicing xD. But im sure i will PM you with some questions that i come up with thank you alot.

-william mckeehan

Yeah, the best way to get better at performing is to do it more. It's just like a sport; you have to actually get out there and practice instead of just thinking about it. I do recommend speaking books for some back ground info, though, like Dale Carnegie's Effective Speaking.

Apr 28, 2008
Your post is not at all pointless, we're here to help if you have a problem.

We all get very nervous to start with, I still do in some situations. Unfortunatley there's not much you can do about it aside from performing more, gradually the nervousness goes away.

Routining is something many people have trouble with, if you post a list of effects you do then we could suggest a possible routine you could do with them.

Presentation is also something that can be difficult at first. In my opinion the most important thing is confidence, if you feel comfortable talking with your spectators you'll find that you don't really need much patter.

Getting help with making a routine would be very helpful i will choose a few tricks and list them in a bit. Confidence that is true, i will just have to work at it. I did notice when your confident you do not need much patter. My mom was telling everyone "how great i am at magic" like you know moms do. I showed my aunt about 3 or 4 tricks just out of the blue one day when she came over. I was not nervous at all for some reason and i did great and yea the patter pretty much came naturally and went smooth and blended together even a bit. so i was happy with that. The only time i really have trouble are complete strangers. But again thanks for all the advice! I will be asking for general help on a routine soon. i been messing with some tricks and started to get some ideas but i would not mind help on that at all.

thanks again

-William McKeehan

May 3, 2008
re:

I've faced this problem countless times and can relate to this.

Lots of the time you just don't know where to go next.

One thing I do to motivate myself is to watch the professionals and see some of the audience reactions.

Also, find a magic buddy to practice your magic on.

This also helps with nervousness when performing to others.

Thanks for the advice!
a magic buddy my girl friend has offered to help me in anyway do u think performing the same trick to her a few times might help? she already knows the method but just to help me with my patter and making it a bit more perfect? i dont know how many times she will let me do the trick or tricks before she gets tired of it lol. but she would be a very good person to practice routines on :)

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
this is my mindset.

a random person on the street.
this person will have no effect on your life at all no matter what happens. if you screw up they probably wont give it a second thought.

you amaze them they will be talking about it for a week.

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Getting comfortable in front of groups of strangers

Hi, William.

There's an organization called Toastmasters that has chapters in just about every part of the country that you might want to consider visiting. Membership is typically free or very cheap (I realize that you and I may have a different definition of "very cheap", so your mileage may vary), and is often organized around the work schedules of business people and students. Assuming you live in or near any kind of metropolitan area, I'm sure you can find a few chapters near you with a meeting time that fits your needs.

Their meetings last an hour or so, if I recall correctly, and they provide an opportunity to learn and practice impromptu public speaking. Every meeting includes a round of very quick impromtu speeches (example: give a three minute talk about your favorite song, etc.), plus an opportunity to give a longer talk as part of a more structured 10-lesson course on public speaking. You only give a talk when you want; there's no pressure to perform except for the pressure you put on yourself. The 10-lesson course focuses on specific areas to work on (gestures, tone of voice, visual aids, humor, etc.).

If you were to visit a Toastmasters club on a regular basis, you'll come to know many of the members, but every meeting will also include new visitors, so it's a great opportunity to prepare yourself for addressing strangers and acquaintances alike. You'll also find, if you were to join the club and try the course, that there will be *plenty* of opportunities to make your practice relevant to your magic performance.

Just as mastering a magic trick is best accomplished by practicing, with each practice focusing on one aspect at a time, so too you will master your natural ability to perform in public by practicing, while focusing on one aspect of performance at a time. Toastmasters is one way to do this. As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, there are other books and organizations (Dale Carnegie, among others) that are dedicated to the same purpose.

If you are still in school, take a class on public speaking. Most universities and many colleges will have several from which to choose. Even if you're not a college student, a local college radio station will likely have opportunities for non-students to train to work on-air. Local coffee shops will likely have a monthly open-mic night for poetry; local comedy clubs will have open-mic nights for comedy. Pick something that is just a wee bit new to you, but not *too* far out of your comfort zone, and start participating.

You won't become a suave master-of-ceremonies overnight, but you'd be surprised at how quickly you expand your comfort zone when it comes to performing for strangers, and that will have a dramatic (pardon the pun) impact on your confidence in your magic. "Slow but steady wins the race," and all that. You have a lifetime ahead to improve (and increase your enjoyment of) your magic. But why not start now?

Go get 'em,

--Allan

Thank you for the advice allen, i am in college and i have already started to look for a speaking class to join. i saw a paper on the wall for learning how to become a better actor, public speaker, and everything. i still have not called the number for more infomation but i bet joining something like that would help alot. i will check into the toastmasters club as well. :) the campus i am on also has a radio station too. so its all here i just have to use it.

thanks again.

williammckeehan

Routine

i am learning a few more tricks but i already know these

here then there (im sure it has a different name)
2 card monte
biddle trick
waving the aces
card in hand

that is the list of tricks i have performed for family and some random people i am working on a few other tricks from the royal road to card magic and a ACR that i might some day put together lol..

any routine ideas would be great!

thanks.

I Am Getting it!

I did it! i was really working hard on my ACR. its simple but has classic and good slieghts in it. i worked hard and worked out every little detail i could. i worked so hard on my Double and every slieght seperate and all together. then today i performed it 6 times for different people. it was successful everyone liked it and no problems. i am going to continue to work on it because i know a few things i can fix already from that little amount of performing! but i plan to perform this same ACR for a while until i "own the trick" as i heard some one describe it. im just rambling but i was excited!

I did it! i was really working hard on my ACR. its simple but has classic and good slieghts in it. i worked hard and worked out every little detail i could. i worked so hard on my Double and every slieght seperate and all together. then today i performed it 6 times for different people. it was successful everyone liked it and no problems. i am going to continue to work on it because i know a few things i can fix already from that little amount of performing! but i plan to perform this same ACR for a while until i "own the trick" as i heard some one describe it. im just rambling but i was excited!

Sounds like things are going great!
The most important thing is to never stop performing, otherwise you go back to nervous and shaky mode, I found that out the hard way.
The tricks you have already are really good, and I'd suggest not buying any new material for a few months while you perfect those tricks, because essentially they're all you'll ever really need.

Josh

Thanks for the comments!

Tumbleweed- i will keep that in mind maybe that will fuel me to not stop performing or else i will get very nervous again. i mean i still was the first few performances and my hands were sweating and everything but that was the first time i walked up to complete strangers and just asked if i could show them something it was great and fun too. they seemed to enjoy it also so yes i did my job i suppose. i will also keep the advice of not buying anything knew i dont really have the money anyway i have a few books and dvds on slieght of hand and things so im set i have about maybe 7 tricks all together i ahve been practicing but i stopped and just worked on my ACR which in later all the Doube L's will help me with other tricks i know.

praetoritevong- thank you for reading it and for the encouragement! its good to know i have a good mindset thats always a plus!

thanks again

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results