Mr. Clean Coins Across

Jay Sankey's routine "Mr. Clean Coins Across" is, I believe it is fair to say, a modern classic in coin magic and I feel it would be great to know. I have seen videos of Jay and a number of others doing this routine but do not own it and so I do not know exactly how it is done. From what I can gather though it looks like it is a hard routine to learn, that is the moves look like they may be harder to get down than the average coin routine. Before I buy it can any of you guys that know it comment on how hard it is to learn or how long it took you to learn? Also I do not have any of Jay's DVD's. If I were to buy a DVD or two of his which ones would you suggest I look into? (I like coin magic and close up magic with everyday objects best if that helps).

Thanks for any input you

wow i just pictured mr clean (the bald guy with the all white clothing) doing coin magic.

other than that i think most of his dvd's have some great magic with everday objects... underground jam has a really cool disposable razor into matchbook effect and has about 20 other effects. super natural has a bunch of effects with everday objects ans so does 22 blows to the head i believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
I have some real success and failure with this effect.

Quality of the effect is grand. It's so visual and... well celan, it just floors people.

The mechanics take some time to get natural, such as the primary move and to and fro actoin involved. But for an experienced coin worker, it shouldn't be any real problem. For a beginner, it'll take a bit of work, but again, nothing too strenuous.

The angles are the things that bug me with this. I've had some really great times with this, but I've also been caught out. Jay himself states he uses this everwhere, but I myself find that this is best used right in their face. Well, not right.. you get my drift.

But don't let that deter you. It's a fantastic effect, and well worth having in your bag-a-goodies.

Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Hard to learn? Not really....but it's a rather versatile routine.
I actually modified my mr.clean till it used none of the original moves....to improve angles
so i'm not too sure its should be called that anymore...but yea the original routine is not too difficult to learn, just uses some basic sleights.

Thanks guys for the info. I will attack this routine next, I think. Does Jay have a book out with this routine in it? Or should I get one of the DVD's that he has it in. I noticed that he has Mr. Clean Coins Across in a number of his DVD's but not knowing any of his other routines by name I am not sure which DVD's of his are best. I did see he has an international DVD out that has no speaking on it, so anyone no matter what language they speak can use it. I do not think this is a good idea. I am not sure how one can convey all the necessary info about complicated routines without words.

Sep 5, 2007
I learnt the Mr. Clean Coins Across from Mr. Sankey's "Revolutionary Coin Magic" and I think it was a fantastic dvd.
As for the difficulty, it's hard to say, John what coins across have you done before?

I learnt the Mr. Clean Coins Across from Mr. Sankey's "Revolutionary Coin Magic" and I think it was a fantastic dvd.
As for the difficulty, it's hard to say, John what coins across have you done before?

I do not know the name of it but I do a simple one plus I do a coin matrix routine and a bunch of coin slights. But nothing that requires a super level of skill. It is not that I do not think I could do a hard skill level if I had the time to learn it, it is just that I know that I do not have that much free time to spend learning a single coin routine. So if was going to be like learning to do the classic pass with cards then I would likely skip it.

L

Liam Carrie

Jay Sankey's routine "Mr. Clean Coins Across" is, I believe it is fair to say, a modern classic in coin magic and I feel it would be great to know. I have seen videos of Jay and a number of others doing this routine but do not own it and so I do not know exactly how it is done. From what I can gather though it looks like it is a hard routine to learn, that is the moves look like they may be harder to get down than the average coin routine. Before I buy it can any of you guys that know it comment on how hard it is to learn or how long it took you to learn? Also I do not have any of Jay's DVD's. If I were to buy a DVD or two of his which ones would you suggest I look into? (I like coin magic and close up magic with everyday objects best if that helps).

Thanks for any input you
Jay Sankey Has Done a lot for magic. Mr. Clean coins across is one of his masterpieces

Yes it's a great effect, but if your just starting out in coins like myself then it is rather hard to learn. You basically need to know 2 maybe 3 sleights and your set, it's doing it smoothly is the hard part. It's on the DVD "Short & Sweet" which I won through a contest, it's a good DVD if your willing to learn everything, and set-up some ingenious gimmicks.

-RA69

Oct 20, 2007
If you want a really visual 3 coins accross that can be performed surrounded, go with "3 fry" by chris kenner which can be found in his book called "Totally out of Control" which goes for 45-50 bucks. I myself prefer Chris Kenners version because the coins can be seen visually at all times. However, you must learn how to do a "back clip" before performing Jay Sankey's "Mr. Clean coins accross" effect. In order to have success while performing Jay Sankey's version is that people must be standing right next to you looking down at your hands. It can be performed with people at a further distance but it will take plenty of misdirection as well if you decide to do it that way.

Dec 16, 2007
London
I think that Mr Cleans is a good effect, but once you have learnt the basic moves involved you can move on to greater things. Kenner's 'The Deep' is a nice ungimmicked coins across that will fool people badly, and i think is more magical than Sankeys, Also Gregory Wilson has a good routine called 3/4 across on his On The Spot DVD which only really uses a backclip, and is very clean, with good angles.

Dec 2, 2007
Once you have reasonably master "Mr. Clean Coins Across" you should check out "E. L. Coins Across", which can be found in "Stand up Coin Power" by Eivind Løwig. I wouldn't exactly call this a variation; however it is a similar non-gaffed 3 coin routine. I often use this routine to fool magicians who are familiar with the Sankey routine (or 3/4 across by Greg Wilson) as the last coin travels in what I consider to be a much "cleaner" fashion. :D

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Sep 1, 2007
If you want a really visual 3 coins accross that can be performed surrounded, go with "3 fry" by chris kenner which can be found in his book called "Totally out of Control" which goes for 45-50 bucks. I myself prefer Chris Kenners version because the coins can be seen visually at all times. However, you must learn how to do a "back clip" before performing Jay Sankey's "Mr. Clean coins accross" effect. In order to have success while performing Jay Sankey's version is that people must be standing right next to you looking down at your hands. It can be performed with people at a further distance but it will take plenty of misdirection as well if you decide to do it that way.

3 Fry can also be learned in the 1-on-1 for $5, but it is just that effect, unfortunately not the whole book

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results