MTL control by Mystery Mark

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
I don't think this is that great to be honest.

It looks to me that he is overhanding the cards hence it may not be true slight of hand. I appreciate all the ideas he comes out with but they are mainly marketed as puzzles for magicians. The actions in the video don't seem that motivated, his hands invite suspicion.

just a thought

matt

May 3, 2008
Honestly I don't trust this man. Lots of the magic he does is too good to be true for him. He really doesn't seem like the best magician or that he has the best sleight of hand yet he does things that are really impossible. I'm sure he probably doesn't use camera tricks, but I'm also almost certain that he uses duplicates and things like that. I doubt that control is really real.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
i agree he stuff is to good to be true. If everything he came up with (which is a lot) was real, he'd be the next BIG name in magic, yet he doesnt sell anything he releases (probably because its not legit). Look at his "Flash" vanish, "Roddity", "360 Color Change", etc. He is practically reinventing the wheel and I would think he'd be making a name for himself such as selling his stuff or performing in known venues. Just my 2 cents. Im not hating, just saying that his stuff looks too impossible to be legit.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
The description off his YouTube video:

The is Mystery Mark demonstrating the 'MTL', an original and clean card-to-bottom control which could be used in an endless amount of applications. 'MTL' stands for ; MoTionLess'. Hope you like it!

Effect by M. Hilkemeijer
Performance by M. Hilkemeijer

Release: MTL (DVD, 2010)

READ THIS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS CONTROL'S METHOD:
Today (Sunday, the 10th of January 2010) we will be releasing 30 'MTL' DVDs. They will be released in units of 5, every unit being sold at different times of the day in the online store at http://darksleightz.com (ignore the 'under contruction' message on the homepage).

There will be 10 DVDs available for America, 10 for Europe/Africa and 10 for Asia/Australia. If the store is empty, it means that you are too early, or too late, but remember you got another chance when the other unit gets released if it wasn't yet.

Be sure to be quick because our products usualy are sold out within only some hours. We know that there are people out there refreshing the page continuously to be sure they are the first to buy our products, mainly due to their rareness. (And we don't have any RSS feeds on the site so that gives you a slightly bigger chance.)

Also, we might rerelease it after today.

©DarkSleightZ

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Honestly I don't trust this man. Lots of the magic he does is too good to be true for him. He really doesn't seem like the best magician or that he has the best sleight of hand yet he does things that are really impossible. I'm sure he probably doesn't use camera tricks, but I'm also almost certain that he uses duplicates and things like that. I doubt that control is really real.

You don't trust him, because he might use duplicates?!? Does that mean that he isn't a proper magician, because it's not pure sleight of hand, or entirely impromptu? Hell, out of the four card tricks I do with any degree of regularity, two of them use duplicates. Does that mean I'm not a proper magician? I don't get this 'must be impromptu, visual and hard hitting' mentality that a lot of people have these days. If he does, kudos to him for fooling people with something so simple. Go learn from it.

However it's completely irrelevant. Given that this control is for sale, I highly doubt it does use a dupe.

May 3, 2008
You don't trust him, because he might use duplicates?!? Does that mean that he isn't a proper magician, because it's not pure sleight of hand, or entirely impromptu? Hell, out of the four card tricks I do with any degree of regularity, two of them use duplicates. Does that mean I'm not a proper magician? I don't get this 'must be impromptu, visual and hard hitting' mentality that a lot of people have these days. If he does, kudos to him for fooling people with something so simple. Go learn from it.

However it's completely irrelevant. Given that this control is for sale, I highly doubt it does use a dupe.

It's not the fact that he uses a dupe, it's the fact that he's claiming that he's performing a control when he's really not. And honestly, go learn from him? Learn from what? He doesn't teach anything. He just performs color changes, vanishes etc.

If all of his effects are real, then good for him. He's one of the greatest magicians of all time. I just don't really see that.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
It's not the fact that he uses a dupe, it's the fact that he's claiming that he's performing a control when he's really not. And honestly, go learn from him? Learn from what? He doesn't teach anything. He just performs color changes, vanishes etc.

If all of his effects are real, then good for him. He's one of the greatest magicians of all time. I just don't really see that.

We're magicians, we fool people. I don't really make the card jump from one pile to the other magically ;)

And when I said 'go learn from it', I wasn't talking about going out and buying his dvds and studying his material. I was referring to the experience, that many people can be completely fooled by something that could be as simple as a dupe. This may have appeared to be directly aimed at you, by the way, but it isn't. I have no idea if you advocate Buckesque sleights and impromptu material or not. This was more aimed at the people that believe that the best tricks are 'pure' ones, gimmickless and completely clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
IMO, if all his stuff is legit, then he could probably be called the BEST close up magician of all time. Ive studied Jennings, vernon, etc, and none of there stuff is as clean as his, even in their own hands. Therefore, i dont think some random guy can just pop up on youtube and be the best ever. Has he performed anywhere? anywhere respectable aka magic castle or at an international convention? people who win close up magi of the year awards or best trick at FISM dont do stuff as good as this, so it makes me wonder...

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
i agree he stuff is to good to be true. If everything he came up with (which is a lot) was real, he'd be the next BIG name in magic, yet he doesnt sell anything he releases (probably because its not legit). Look at his "Flash" vanish, "Roddity", "360 Color Change", etc. He is practically reinventing the wheel and I would think he'd be making a name for himself such as selling his stuff or performing in known venues. Just my 2 cents. Im not hating, just saying that his stuff looks too impossible to be legit.

He has sold all his creations at one point or another. He has sold the Flash vanish, Roddity, etc...

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I too have my doubts, but I'm leaning towards it's legit. If he's selling them, I don't know how it couldn't be. If it was all fake and he was selling them, I think we would have heard some complaints by now...

Sep 1, 2007
Oh, please!

He aint selling it. The whole idea of releasing just a highly limited number of copies is designed specifically to give the move credibility (it must be real, he's selling it!) whilst ensuring that its sufficiently unlikely that a supposed "buyer" could show up anywhere!

When a review pops up with a link to a performance video from the buyer, then i'll start to believe that this guy is possibly one of the greatest sleight-of-hand perfomers of all time. Until then, I call bull****.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
If all of his effects are real, then good for him. He's one of the greatest magicians of all time..

No.
Not even.
Even if he were doing all these moves legit,he is no where close to being the greatest magician or a magician in general until he actually shows he can perform like one.
Hands in front of a camera doing controls doesnt qualify for that title.
And nowadays,thats even less impressive since its what everyone does.

Not aiming anything at you,just wanted to point out this line if anyone is thinking it for real.

May 3, 2008
Oh, please!

He aint selling it. The whole idea of releasing just a highly limited number of copies is designed specifically to give the move credibility (it must be real, he's selling it!) whilst ensuring that its sufficiently unlikely that a supposed "buyer" could show up anywhere!

When a review pops up with a link to a performance video from the buyer, then i'll start to believe that this guy is possibly one of the greatest sleight-of-hand perfomers of all time. Until then, I call bull****.

I agree. Who says he's even really selling anything.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
Oh, please!

harsh much?
I have seen his sleight of hand on webcam and its just as amazing.Havent seen his gimmick work but his card work is sure as hell flawless.

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
Oh, please!

Yeah I agree. I cant find one review or one copy of anything he's "produced" even on ebay. If his stuff was legit, then I would think big name guys would be seeking this stuff out to do for tv specials or whatnot.

Plus, we are magicians and we can generally tell when something is too good to be true. Look at some of the new, truly original (more or less) moves such as the clipshift. That is a great multi purpose move and its virtually invisible, but you can still tell that something is going on if you were to watch chads hands, even if you couldnt tell what was going on. Claiming that you can control a selected card to the bottom with one hand and no finger or hand movement just seems too good to be true, plus he keeps coming up with all this new and original material that would put all the greats of the past into the obsolete catagory (from a technical standpoint). Whole books have been written on moves like the convincing control, and he just pops up and creates the MTL and reinvents the bottom control? YEAH RIGHT! Look at his cell phone vanish called "Flash" and try to honestly say that he is legitimately vanishing the phone to some hold out position. YEAH RIGHT.

Sorry about the rant

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results