Multiplying Card Effect

Mar 9, 2009
Hey guys,

I wanted to pick your brains and was hoping i could get some opinions and input from u all about an effect i've been curious about recently. I'm working on a presentation of it but am unsure of where to go. Firstly, my inspiration was a memory i have of Jerry Sadowitz performing a multiplying signature trick on TV years ago. in his trick, a spectators signature seemed to be transferred from one card to another, multiplying itself onto several cards throughout the deck. if you will indulge me i will explain more fully his presentation:

sorting through the cards, the magician took out the joker and placed it in his jacket pocket, stating that the following trick wouldn't work with this particular card. from the remainder of the deck, a card was chosen and signed boldly across the back by the spectator. the magician, sweeping the signed card across the deck, transferred the signature onto the top in the process of turning the card face up on the table. this was repeated till four face up cards are on the table. squaring the packet of 4, he displayed each card, one at a time to have all alike signed backs. dropping the packet face up on the table again and grabbing the remainder of the deck, it was shown the signature has spread to some cards in the deck. which he ran through showing multiple signatures. then with a magical riffle of the cards, he shows the signatures on each of the four cards in the packet and throughout the deck have vanished. as a kicker, he reached into his pocket, removing the Joker placed there at the beginning of the trick to reveal a signature on the back!

Amazing trick! I've always remembered it after all this time. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but i have never encountered a similar trick with a multiplying signature, especially on the back of the card. (anybody know of any? i would love to know the reference?) As good as the Sadowitz presentation was, with the simple sleights that he utilised (namely multiple DL's, a variation of the Roy Walton paintbrush change for the signature transfer, Hamman's 'flustration count' to display the packet with all alike backs, and a palm to initially transfer the joker from the pocket to the deck so it can be forced and signed, then to transfer the signed joker to the packet and then back to the deck and of course to reveal the joker from the pocket at the end of the trick). i have been working on a more visual take on the effect, and have been toying with various sleights and moves to give the illusion of a multiplying signature. anyone have any ideas regarding this? especially a means of transferring the signature from a double card without exposing the face of the Joker? as well as a snappy all alike display of a small packet. ( i've been working on a variation of Denis Behr's handling of the flustration count below. amazing!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAmqw1SZJw

anyway, i've waffled enough. sorry about the long post and thanks for reading it. hope it wasn't too boring!! i won't mention too much about the variations of presentation that i have been playing with otherwise we're be here all night!! but feel free to ask me questions, i would be happy to discuss it. all opinions are more than welcome? tell me what you think?

cheers all

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results