Muscle Pass

Sep 2, 2007
London
If you specifically want a book, then the only one I'm aware of that actually teaches the technique is Arthur Buckley's Principles & Deceptions. I think, however, that learning the muscle pass from a book is quite difficult, so you might want to supplement that with a DVD. If you do, I'd recommend Shoot Ogawa's Master of the Muscle Pass. It's got some lovely routines, as well as in-depth teaching on the move itself.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have tried to learn it for a year and still can't get much height out of it. Hopefully you have better luck than I did. I'd go for the DVD or find someone who can teach you in person or via a video chat possibly to see the correct positioning.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
I have tried to learn it for a year and still can't get much height out of it. Hopefully you have better luck than I did. I'd go for the DVD or find someone who can teach you in person or via a video chat possibly to see the correct positioning.

It took me 4 years to get it down to good height and consistency. I'd keep trying.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I would very much agree with Randy on this. I was at the Magic Castle in the close up gallery and the magician performed a muscle pass very very well with a height of about 15-18 inches I'd say. Nobody in the place even cared because it was just kind of "thrown" in the mix of effects and it flew right by everyone. I talked to the magician afterward and told him that he had performed an incredible muscle pass and he thanked me over and over saying that magicians are the only ones who understand how much work and effort and time goes into making that good. Layman just think, "Oh...that was kind of neat".

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
That is because most magicians fail at thinking outside of the box, they need look at the bigger picture and look at what entertains people.

Something like the pass is best used in an actual routine, rather than by itself. The same goes for most sleights out there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results