Music for creativity?

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
It's pretty common to see people using music to tune out during practice sessions. Music definitely plays a large role in my card flourishing creative process, with different genres of music resulting in different styles of moves.

In the case of "zoning out" and trying to be creative, I generally try to listen to a more abstract or mellowed sound. Artists like Flying Lotus or Shigeto are nice examples.

Huron River Drive by Shigeto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGfFDTJyI4

Fall in Love by Flying Lotus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KEpb4UaAr8

For purely mechanical practice sessions, where I focus mainly on style, execution and sequencing, I would use something with a little more energy or stronger rhythm.

Swim by In Flames
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5K6A_PGdyQ

No Friend Of Mine by L'Orange
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2TX23BdxAI

My question to all of you, what do you guys listen to when you practice? What helps you get your creative juices flowing, how do you get in the "zone"?

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
I like to listen to two genres when coming up with flourishes or when I am just playing around with my cards. I like to listen to electronic music when coming up with flourishes and rap when I am filming a video and I want my flourishes to be smooth. Of course some artists for electronic would be like pogo or monster cat artists like stephen hawking. And some rap artists is like earl sweatshirt or casey veggies. But of course people are into their own music which is interesting to see what kind of music people listen to when coming up with flourishes lol

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
^That rudeness though.

Listening to music can make the art multidimensional, but it is important that the student not let his or her mind stray into the music too much. Allowing the music to flow through them like a vessel can lead to awesome stuff.

In response to the OP, I'd suggest Caspian, NOMADS, Explosions In The Sky, and toe. for ambient stuff. It'll rock your world.

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
Music frees my mind from all the other stuff happening around me. Of course I don't let it get too much into my though process for creating things. But music defiantly helps with doing some weird and new things.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
No one should listen to music while enhancing their craft , it is too distracting.

Maybe you're distracted by the music but speak for yourself.

Obviously the two of you do not take your craft seriously if you listen to music at the same time.

Complete garbage, what a ridiculous conclusion to make from something so trivial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
You should check out some nujabes, bonobo for more mellow peaceful stuff. Check out xxyyxx, grammatik, ronald jenkees, STS9, all for more upbeat or at least heavier music.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
You should check out some nujabes, bonobo for more mellow peaceful stuff. Check out xxyyxx, grammatik, ronald jenkees, STS9, all for more upbeat or at least heavier music.

Yup, definitely agree. Gramatik has some great variety actually, really nice instrumentation mixed with some clean production.

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
I think both of you have some serious issues to resolve. No one should listen to music while enhancing their craft , it is too distracting. This is akin to Kobe Bryant listening to his IPOD while slamming it in someone's face. Obviously the two of you do not take your craft seriously if you listen to music at the same time. [Edited for forum rules violation]

With all due respect, that is an incredibly stupid thing to say, if it distracts you then sure dont listen to it but music gets you out of everything else and into what your doing (cardistry in this case) Same reason people listen to music while studying, or exercising.
if thats your opinion then fine but then dont go around saying "who ever listens to music while practising isnt taking their craft cos seriously mate that is rubbish.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
Gramatik is excellent as well, but I meant grammatik. It's like slovenian hip hop, and their instrumental stuff is really cool. Gramatik is definitely awesome though too, I use his stuff sometimes in videos.

magicdamadude

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Huh, I've never heard of them. Any example songs that I can search up?

Couldn't find any right off the bat but here is his FM channel online. Pretty good stuff!
www.last.fm/music/Grammatik

As for me, I'm a total lyrics person. I love any music that has creative and out of the box word choices. For me, when I sit down and I listen to a song like that, it gets me thinking about things in a different perspective. It really helps me because I am terrible at creating my own magic effects. Sometimes just thinking about something from another angle can be very beneficial.

Some of my favorite artists to listen to during session time are Jason Mraz, B.O.B., Pretty Lights, and Imagine Dragons, to name a few. :)

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Some thoughts on music.

I once rehearsed an act hard to someone else's music. When it came time to perform it, I had no patter but a lot of rhythm. So I said nothing and performed in some sort of choreographed silence. Everyone said it needed music.

In a similar vein, Troma Films reportedly edits all of their films to music, even if the music is never heard in the final cut. The music provides the editors with rhythm.

It's a great way to get in the zone, learn new ideas, plus put some rhythm in your performances. Audiences like various consistencies. It can also become a negative. If you intend to speak during your performances then plan some time to practice, including your patter.

I'm not going to answer what the other music was. I personally devolve into name-dropping in ways that don't matter as much as performing magic. I will say that, ultimately, creating new music has never been easier or less expensive. That's what I finally started to do for practice. One day I hope to work it into performances.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results