My blog post on the forum! Day 33. #Cloudnine.

Nov 20, 2013
Dedicated to: Mommy Meggison.

Do you know how it feels when you fail? I do. I fail a lot. It's just the name of the game. I have tried a lot of ideas. I have tried variations of the same idea. Many new ideas. Some ideas I should have tried but never did. Some idea I wish I could forget.

One of my ideas is to create a close up magic show for a fancy hotel (Like Steve Cohen's Waldorf-Astoria Hotel show) or in a fancy bar, weekly. The name of the show will be called, “Meggimagic's Dreamline Affair Show.” In my mental theater, if I perform in a bar, the bar has a thin little steel blue curtain, with lights shining on it, closing off the rest of the bar. This way the rest of the bar can hear the laughs and watch my next show. The planning of this show is going well. So, of course, I share the highs and the lows of this show with my mother.

My mother is probably the most supportive person I know. It's in her blood to want to see the little guy succeed. I think this is because she comes from German Royalty. You see, my family has been supporting my not-as-fat rump for years now. However, I keep trying new schemes, new ideas, new tricks and hobbies.

I walked into my mom's work, an old folk's home. I had to upload a video at my sister's apartment and was forced to use my mom's car. Why was I uploading a video? Because I want to become a featured artist on one of the many great websites we, as magicians, get to be a part of every day.

So, as I walk to hand my mom her keys, Mommy Meggison starts to poking my close up show idea box.

“Josh, go in this room and show these fine people a trick.”
My mouth is shut, my eyes are rolling, my ears stop listening.
“Josh, people are in the dining room, go perform.”
I don't moan, I don't look her in the eye or acknowledge I even hear her.
“Josh, this man I am pushing, in his wheelchair, needs a break right now. Show him a magic trick.”
Finally my internal mental sticks break.
My resistance bridge crumbles.
I have no choice.
I break out the cards.
“You got it mom.”
Any good son listens to his mother... the third time.

I show this wheelchair bound man a trick (titled Gold) from my act submission. I am trying to publish the act through the one of the great websites mentioned before.

The look on this man's face, at the climax, was priceless. I couldn't ask for a better reaction. It was a mix between stoic bewilderment, childhood memories and a dash of spicy red hot joy. This 75 year old man was looking for an escape from his self-made prison. I gave him that freedom for 3 minutes. But in the eyes of the spectator, this could last forever.

Your welcome, unnamed participant of the world.
Thanks Mom, for hitting me over the head with a two by four until my shell cracked.
Performing was a good idea today.
#Cloudnine

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results