My Contest Video (Youtube)

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
It was alright but I don't think that is what they are really looking for. This isn't a webcam contest. You should go out and perform outside, in cool places, make it look awesome! It's so much like all of those other youtube videos that are made in a few minutes. Also, you can only use one of the songs, and the video should be edited to the song. Try some stuff and then come back. There were some nice flourishes in there though!

Allright, this is my opinion after 5 viewings of your video.

Some of your crazy D&D cuts (the ones with multiple packets) were very jerky - they weren't smooth and didn't flow too well (as well as some small points where you hesitated). Right now, you've got just the basic movements, steps and motions of them down. It will take much practice until you can get those flourishes to a level where it looks like you're not even trying. That's when your flourishes will look good. Until then, I would strongly suggest taking those out.

Try to include some more stuff that you've mastered and can do super-smooth. Even if it's not as impressive as the bigger flourishes, doing many smaller flourishes smoothly is much better than doing a couple of bigger ones at, quite bluntly, a mediocre level (sorry if you find that offensive, but it's my honest opinion). It will give your video a MUCH more professional, streamlined and overall smooth feel to it (right now, what you did not-so-good is taking away from the stuff you did really well). Kind of comparable to the "Would you rather know 1000 tricks or 10 miracles" question that magicians often ask.

And (again, no offense - constructive criticism), but that was one of the most un-natural and stiffest Erdnases I've ever seen. Loosen up, mate!

I don't think there's much you could do to improve the editing of it (if you're good at editing, you're good. If you're not, you're not. Not much you can do there). But I do suggest getting away from the whole 'performer vs webcam in bedroom' style that has invaded youtube.

Hope that helped. Again, sorry if you took offense in any of what I said - I said it to help.

Ryan

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Honestly, you'll need more practice... no offence. But anyway, I guess the main purpose of the contest is to have fun~ :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Switzerland
Alright man I'll try to give you some tips:

1. Someone already mentioned, it's not a webcam session. Borrow yourself a good cam, find a nice place with good lighting(!) and your video will improve automatically. It just seems so boring and unmotivated watching something like that (no offense).

2. I don't like the voice part at the beginning, it just doesn't fit

3. The cuts are missing flow and are kinda sloppy at times, work on that.

4. Your video will be way better if you make it in pace with the music. It doesn't even has to be perfect flow and really fast, if it fits the music you've already got alot out of it

4. Cut out that move at 1:02 :)

5. I'd use a more visual change, like the Ego.

6. Stop after the first song, I didn't even watch past that. If I watch a video it should be short and good, quality over quantity. I only like watching really good video's longer than 1-2 minutes.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Sep 1, 2007
Nebraska
Thanks for the input

Ok, thanks for the replies. Just to let you know, I'm not taking offense at what you're saying here. Maybe at the youtube comments, but here I'm getting good advice. I'm a magician by trade, not a XCMer, so this is a new realm for me.

webcam issue - I dont think there's any way that I could get a good cam before the deadline, so I'll have to live with that. I could maybe set up a backdrop or put in some video effects such as black and white. I'm pretty good with video editing, so I'll try that out. Also, I just got my Born to Perform T-Shirt, so the black will be better in the video.

Alvin - right click on the file names of the files and say "Save Target As"

D&D cuts - I like doing the multiple packet cuts, and I had probably the biggest problems with the putting packets away. When I make my new video, I'll have to not do the ending parts.

Erdanse change - I just got Hot Shot Color Changes starring Ben Salinas, and I'm learning alot about changes. I want to have a change in there, but I'll add a new, more visual change in there.

Voice Part - I wanted the video to sort of correspond with the artist discussion in Cerca Trova. I may remove it, but we'll have to see.

1:02 - Ok.

Length - I'm changing it to 1 song, so it will be better.

I've removed the first video from youtube, and I'm going to completely create a new video. I'll use the advice given here to make one. Thanks theory11!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results