My Embarrassing Concern.......

Nov 27, 2010
Okay guys..

I feel kind of stupid for saying this ,but my patter is horrible. The thing that is hardest for me to do when preforming is entertaining the crowd. I am just horrible at it. When I preform my card magic I usually tell the spectator what is going on and then I remain quiet for them to enjoy the climax. Every time I preform I always get those "oh that's cool" or the "hehe nice" and the "that was pretty good" reactions even though I practice for weeks trying to master the slights involved. When I start doing magic for a crowd I have absolutely nothing to say to them. My mind just races ,and I just cannot think of anything funny or cool to say to make the crowd feel enjoyment. As a result, I finish off the trick to get the weak reaction I was expecting.

I then searched the forums for this topic ,and I found out that I need to get the spectators involved to get good reactions. I thought "why don't I give it a try" and I did. My reactions were a little bit better ,but I still got those weak reactions that I was trying to run away from. The best reaction I got was when I slipped a duplicate card in my friends pocket ,then I forced the other duplicate card on him then i told him to look in his pocket. My impromptu tricks always get the worst reactions.

I am absolutely sick of getting those annoying weak reactions. I am also sick of my tricks being so boring that the spectators are speechless in a negative way. I want to make my tricks fun for the spectators as well. I do not want to be that annoying high school kid that knows a couple card tricks. I want to be the entertainer that I know I have the potential to be.

How do I entertain a crowd? Should I work on comedy ,or should I be dramatic? If I need to work on comedy how do I do it?

Rick Everhart, Steerpike, Luis Vega, Reality One, Draven, Beans25, Malibu army, Anybody who does professional magic related gigs or jobs I need your advice! How do you guys entertain your crowds. How do I improve my patter!!?!?!???

Nov 19, 2010
practice makes perfect. I first started I had nothing to say no patter and that is the worst thing possible. For card tricks here is exactly what I do currently
Always shake their hands and exchange names
Can you please shuffle these cards for me just so you know there are in no particular order.
while there shuffling i take out another deck( to pick a card to sign) and i say they can shuffle as much as they want where going to use this deck anyway. (audience laughs)
i ask for their autograph i say i would like your million dollar and six cent autograph.
Don't worry ill sign it later and put the million in it(laugh)
This is all that happens while shuffling pick a card and sign it already having them smile and laugh twice. They are already entertained before any bit of magic.
I personally use comedy a lot some people may disagree with that how it takes away from the effect i know for a fact that it doesn't
The only time you should not be talking is 2 seconds before the actual effect during the effect and a second after it. That may differ for people but i see if you keep on talking they will keep on listening.
You say you practice slight for weeks well your patter needs to be there also. Try this walk up to a wall and put something on that wall to represent the spectators eyes. Just talk and perform to the wall don't talk like your reading or acting just being yourself. When you do actually perform the words don't need to be exact as you rehearsed but similar. Take some chances with your patter ive told some of the corniest jokes out there and they will laugh because it's so bad.It will come to you eventually but you just need to practice and take those chances.
--BRoop13

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
First of all, a spelling concern. No one preforms magic. You perform magic.

How are you social skills outside of magic? Are you outgoing, funny, etc? Try making conversations with random strangers. Strike up a conversation in an elevator, or compliment someone on their shirt.

Also, I recommend Search and Destroy by Aaron Fisher. The trick is very simple, and you get to focus on performing for the audience. The trick is more about connecting with your audience than it is about sleight-of-hand. This would be a good trick to help you practice connecting.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Okay guys..

I feel kind of stupid for saying this ,but my patter is horrible. The thing that is hardest for me to do when preforming is entertaining the crowd. I am just horrible at it. When I preform my card magic I usually tell the spectator what is going on and then I remain quiet for them to enjoy the climax. Every time I preform I always get those "oh that's cool" or the "hehe nice" and the "that was pretty good" reactions even though I practice for weeks trying to master the slights involved. When I start doing magic for a crowd I have absolutely nothing to say to them. My mind just races ,and I just cannot think of anything funny or cool to say to make the crowd feel enjoyment. As a result, I finish off the trick to get the weak reaction I was expecting.

I then searched the forums for this topic ,and I found out that I need to get the spectators involved to get good reactions. I thought "why don't I give it a try" and I did. My reactions were a little bit better ,but I still got those weak reactions that I was trying to run away from. The best reaction I got was when I slipped a duplicate card in my friends pocket ,then I forced the other duplicate card on him then i told him to look in his pocket. My impromptu tricks always get the worst reactions.

I am absolutely sick of getting those annoying weak reactions. I am also sick of my tricks being so boring that the spectators are speechless in a negative way. I want to make my tricks fun for the spectators as well. I do not want to be that annoying high school kid that knows a couple card tricks. I want to be the entertainer that I know I have the potential to be.

How do I entertain a crowd? Should I work on comedy ,or should I be dramatic? If I need to work on comedy how do I do it?

Rick Everhart, Steerpike, Luis Vega, Reality One, Draven, Beans25, Malibu army, Anybody who does professional magic related gigs or jobs I need your advice! How do you guys entertain your crowds. How do I improve my patter!!?!?!???

Hello Bluespade1000

First Of...I feel really flattered for you to consider me into giving me advice to improve your patter...You made my day..

Second...It´s not embarrasing for you to come here and tell us you have a problem...I do admire the fact that you come here and ask for help...that´s never easy and I admire for you that...everyone had this problem at some point on their magic lifes...

I would like to give you some advice...but now I need to leave to a gig...I just wanted to tell you that as soon as I get back I´ll try my best to offer you advice!!

Be not afraid...I am sure that all the guys you mentioned in your post will be eager to help you...and so do I...

EDIT: One thing...I need you te describe exactly how you introduce magic to friends and strangers...what do you say?, what tricks you do?, how a common performance goes for you?...in order to give better advice....

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Write scripts. Really, sit down with a laptop or a pad of paper and write an actual script. Compose a monologue that sounds natural, makes sense, is entertaining, and memorize it to use with the specific routine you've designed it for. A tip on this: As you write your script/monologue, ask yourself "If I removed the magic trick itself, would my script still be telling a compelling, powerful story that connects with my spectators?" and write with this question in mind... it is the KEY to strong, theatrical magic. Half of the power is in your words. You don't need to memorize it word for word unless you're uncomfortable doing otherwise. Your script will have to be adapted to each and every situation you perform in... this is where an astute undertanding of improvisation comes in to play.

Seriously, study theatre. I tell magicians this all the time. Take acting classes, take drama in your school, study writing and english. Read books... read Theatre by David Mamet. Watch plays. Watch movies based on plays. Magic requires a strong understanding of performance, not just technique.

Good luck!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Write scripts. Really, sit down with a laptop or a pad of paper and write an actual script. Compose a monologue that sounds natural, makes sense, is entertaining, and memorize it to use with the specific routine you've designed it for. A tip on this: As you write your script/monologue, ask yourself "If I removed the magic trick itself, would my script still be telling a compelling, powerful story that connects with my spectators?" and write with this question in mind... it is the KEY to strong, theatrical magic. Half of the power is in your words. You don't need to memorize it word for word unless you're uncomfortable doing otherwise. Your script will have to be adapted to each and every situation you perform in... this is where an astute undertanding of improvisation comes in to play.
Lh
Seriously, study theatre. I tell magicians this all the time. Take acting classes, take drama in your school, study writing and english. Read books... read Theatre by David Mamet. Watch plays. Watch movies based on plays. Magic requires a strong understanding of performance, not just technique.

Good luck!

Those two are exactly what I was going to post ha ha.

Make sure you practice your script so you know it off by heart. And acting lessons will help you present without sounding like you are reciting lines. Take public speaking courses, and perform as much as you can.
And also take your strongest three effects and only perform those until you master good presentation. Try out some new patter until you have it smooth.

If you want, you could post a private video of you performing (publicly or not), and send it to a few people here who will give you some feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I took 2 public speaking courses ( 1 in H.S. and 1 in college ). Other than that it has all been by trial and error and studying MANY MANY other magicians via videos and attending conventions. I watch many amateur videos and professionals perform. I know what stock lines are funny and which ones are the groaners. There are some books out there too to help you incorporate some funny lines. One that comes to mind is "Sleight of Mouth" by Harry Allen I believe.

When I go to a gig and perform my patter is very close to a script but depending on the venue and how things are playing out...I can deviate from the script if I need to react to something funny or serious that happens right then and there.

One very important piece of information I can give you is that you need a "show". What does that mean? Well...it took me 2 years to figure it out and now I have it down. I used to just throw my props and table in my explorer and head to my venue and just mix and match what I wanted to do based on time and the venue.

For the past 2 years I have tried to do the exact same effects in the exact same order so that it is completely second nature to me and I can focus on the patter and interaction and entertainment value. No more worrying about the sleights or gimmicks because I have literally done it over and over and have interacted with crowds enough to know how they are going to react at every point in my show. This allows me to know what comments are going to be said and how I am going to reply back sound very witty and off the cuff yet I say the same things at almost every show.

Another thing you will find out is that you "have to" perform live for people. Sitting at home and just pretending / practicing doesn't work. You have get your feet wet over and over so that you learn how to interact and say funny or serious things depending on what your trying to do.

Aug 17, 2010
Writing a script is the best advice. When you're performing, you have more important things to worry about than what you're going to say next..

And remember, don't make the dialogue too "on the nose" - people generally speak around the point in conversation, not exactly on it. Directing someone's attention to the deck and saying "in it goes" is likely better than "now I put your card in the middle of the deck."

Be ruthless in editing your scripts. Make every word tell. If a word or phrase isn't doing something, cut it out.

And write the script from the audience's point of view; it's for them, after all.

Apr 14, 2011
I make sure to SLOW DOWN. I tend to go a bit fast, and I have to consciously make an effort to keep my patter slow. If you slow down and make every word a deliberate phrase, like Mr. Everhart said. Keep bashing away at it and you'll be fine!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello

I like the script advice...

However...one important thing to note is that maybe you are challenging your spectators...not many people knows that when you say "Now I am going to put the card in the middle...." sometimes people fell belittle and that can cut out some of the reactions...try to not narrate the trick..

Now...about making the trick part of them..sometimes is as simple as making them sign a card...now it´s part of them since it has their names, also try to use patter that involves feelings and memories of them...example..

My ring routine starts when I ask somebody to borrow me a ring..then I ask them if the ring has an emotional feeling (usually it is) and then I tell them about how memories come back a lot more quick when we have a physical object to relate so doesn´t matter if you can´t see it ( first vanish) sometimes is always there (appears on my finger) and sometimes you think that is in the place you left it (second vanish) but no..it´s in another place (appears in my other hand on my finger)...sometimes is there...(third vanish) even when you can´t see it (ring thing)...but when it really dissapears...(third vanish...off from my hands) I tell them..."you know what I do?...I keep it in my wallet" and the ring appears in my wallet...

It´s a script (of course is more elaborated) but as you can see it´s about them...it´s not about the trick or the moves anymore...

Also...I strongly recommend to start conversations with people without the use of magic..maybe even get some dating advice...the reason for this is to actually let words flow so you can actually relate with the spectator (in this case a new friend) and try to have an emotional conversation...how they feel, what they think, what they want..etc...this will help to create not only patter but also jokes and cool things...

I also recommend to actually see some performers on magic and COPY their style...copy their patter, their movements, their gestures...It might sound weird, but sometimes in order to find your own style you have to start by imitating others..once you have it down, see what you like of their styles, what you don´t like and see how can those things relate to your own personality and adjust it (the things and the personality)...

Hope this helped..

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Less is more, true, but the script is still an extremely vital part to close up magic.

What kind of magic do you do? For what audience sizes? What venues do you perform in, and how long do your sets go for?

Unless we have some idea about these parameters and variables, we can only give extremely general advice, such as script development and public speaking/drama training.

Jun 10, 2010
Best way to learn how to use social skills to your advantage is to be social. And try and stay away from too many of the "story-type" scripting styles unless you have a character that can pull it off.

Nov 27, 2010
BRoop13: Thanks!! I will definitely use your advice. for some reason I always forget to use manners when preforming. I am always focusing on not messing up rather than actually entertaining the crowd. I guess my performances were getting horrible reactions ,because I always lacked that personal connection with the audience that is showed in your performance. I liked your performance method it was very smooth. I liked the fact that you mixed your comedy in your performance. I enjoyed reading your routine. I never thought good patter was planned. I have a lot to practice.....Thanks!!

Toolnard: I am very outgoing and funny when I am around people I am comfortable with. I am not going to lie. I am not so good at socializing with strangers. Preforming to a group of eager people who I do not know is very different from talking with my friends or joining in a conversation with friends. You are right. I need to start socializing with people that i do not know without magic. I am still trying to figure out where I can practice this essential skill.

Michael kras: Thanks!!! Like I said before I never thought that patter was something that had to be written and practiced. I never knew magic had such a connection to theater. It seem s connecting with my spectators was the thing I am lacking the most. This Idea seems like it may take a lot of time to do for every routine ,but it looks like it is very worth it. Thanks! I cannot wait to try this out!!

Rick everhart: Thanks as well!! I always hate testing ideas on spectators because I am always afraid that I might mess up. I am always afraid of making a fool of myself. I guess I need to learn this by trial and error even if it is embarrassing. I have many Ideas now and I am going to have to take a chance on all of them. I will look into the public speaking courses because I think I may need it. Thank you!!

Mehar:Thanks I will look into it!!!

JButterfeild and jevonsp:Thanks!! The way I used to present tricks was kind of boring. I am definitely gonna try to spice up what I say. JButterfeild you just identified the thing I did the most I would always tell the spectator what I am doing in a boring way. No wonder why I got those boring reactions. Also, I do need to slow down. I am always rushing tricks because like I said before I am afraid of messing up. It seem like doing a routine slower gets better reactions ,so I will remember this.

Luis Vega: I like the script advice as well! You caught me on one of my most annoying and addictive habits. Wherever I go and whatever I do i just cannot keep myself from narrating my tricks! I tried to cut it out but it is such an addictive habit that I cannot let it go. I am going to try to use the spectators names because I want to get that personal friendly mood. I try to tell stories with tricks but It never connects to the audience. That is another thing I need to work on. I will also try to socialize without magic. I have been using magic as my social savior many times in the past. It may feel awkward ,but it sounds like it may work. I never thought it was okay to COPY patter I always thought I needed to be original.

Danielmontagene: hehe!! I may have spelled your name wrong but i had to thank you as well. Your tip was the shortest and the most profound! I have bored many people to death by dong long routines. I will think of this when I am making my script.

saborfang17: I will try to start being more social to strangers even though it may be hard!! I just do not know where to practice this skill......

I cannot thank you guys enough!!!!! I have a field trip to the science museum in three days. I just cannot wait to test these Ideas there. Thanks to everyone who answered even if I did not mention you I still appreciate the thoughts. Once again THANKS!!!

Aug 17, 2010
BlueSpade1000, it's always a pleasure to help someone who really wants to improve.

To practice socializing with strangers, just try starting with "excuse me - do you have the time," or "pardon me, but where did you get that hat? My (friend/girlfriend) would love something like that." Chat with them a bit, then thank them for their time.

Soon, it's no problem at all.

Nov 27, 2010
BlueSpade1000, it's always a pleasure to help someone who really wants to improve.

To practice socializing with strangers, just try starting with "excuse me - do you have the time," or "pardon me, but where did you get that hat? My (friend/girlfriend) would love something like that." Chat with them a bit, then thank them for their time.

Soon, it's no problem at all.

Thanks i'll try it out! Even though it may be awkward without my cards.....

Sep 17, 2007
So once you get your script down, connecting with people is key. Also, feeling out their energy and matching it. For example, when I did restaurant work, when I would approach a loud table of college students, I would get a bit more loud and raucous. I would match them. Maybe even top them!

But when I would approach a reserved older couple, I would calm down a bit. Speak more softly, treat them with more reverence.

Just know who you are performing for and match your performance to your audience.

This will take a little time and experience but I guarantee you that their reactions will get better.

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Thanks i'll try it out! Even though it may be awkward without my cards.....

I may be not the best to advice you on magic, but I'm sure can help with your social skill. Like someone else said before read How to make friend and influence people by dale Carnegie. EVERY big name in finance have red it. Even Warren buffet. But, I'll give you some direct advice, some comming from this book, some will come from sales book. First, how to start a conversation: Say "hi". It sound absurd, but to begin a conversation, you just say Hi and see what the other will respond. Remember, it's not because the people wont talk to you that you've messed up, some people just dont want to talk. After the "Hi" and after the stranger answer, you have about 3 option: Talk about actuality, weather and other small talk. It's the warm up phase. You can also use the FORM: Familly, Occupation, Recreation, Money. Well, for the money thing normally it's for salesman ;) but the other 3 are what people will relate the most. Talk about their children, talk about their parent, talk about their sister. If not, talk about what they do for a living. Are they Fireman, attorney, nurse, secretary, lawyer? After that, you can talk about their hobby, what do they do to relax. I'll give you an example that happen to me recently.

I was "shopping" for cloth. The salesman came and said: How can I help you. I answer: Well, I'm just looking, but I'm looking for some new suit. He then answer: Well, let me show you what I have in stock. From this moment, I knew that this guy was a good salesman, because he took his time to show me and teach me some new things about suit and "sport" clothing. He took nearly 30 minutes of his time even if he knew that I wasn't going to buy something this day. So, after he answer all my question, I began with the FORM. I asked him: Well, you are trully ressourcefull, you know a lot about clothing, it's defenitly not your first day rigth? (Occupation) He said: No, it's been over 3 years but it's been only 6 months that I work in this particular shop. I asked: Well, where were you working before? After this answer, I asked him: Wow, you really love what you do, will you make a career out of it? He then say no and answer me he will return to college to become a nurse (dont know the masculin for nurse). After that, I asked him why does he want to do that. You see the patern here? I ask question about what he do and what he love to do. I use his answer to ask more question. I nearly talk to him 20 minute after he finish his speech about cloth, and I could defenitly go on and on and on, but my girlfriend was waiting so I stop there, but in this 20 minutes, I talked about 3 minutes, and I've only asked question. You dont have to talk 20 minutes for each stranger before begening your trick, for sure, but try asking question. The third option to abord stranger is simply the direct maner: Exscuse me sir, I'm new to magic and I would like to show you a trick that I'm working on, do you have about X minute so that I can show you?

I hope that it was helpful but trully read the book How to make friend, I've red it 19 times, and I will continu to reread it because there is so much information in this little book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results