My FAVORITE opener... something I feel like sharing.

Mar 12, 2009
I absolutely love this. Thank you Garrett Thomas. Seriously, thank you for this gem.

Don't mind the awkward patter. Performing without a spectator is a little odd.

Completely impromptu, quick, visual, and most importantly.... completely FRIES spectators.

And the best part? It's extremely simple.

.mov file (high quality): http://packthebowl.com/stuff/ringthing.mov
youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a4B3ZqNNN8
I didn't bother filming the whole routine that I do. I just wanted to share this effect with anyone who isn't informed about it. Again, my hands down favorite opener.

In person, after making the ring jump back to my finger, I'll go back to normal conversation as if nothing happened. 10/10 times this results in the spectators intensely asking me to keep going and to "pleaseeeee do more". I'll then whip out a deck of cards and make a very natural transition into another effect.

I've had people I've met at parties bug me for the entire night about how it's done. After a couple hours it starts to get annoying, so I'll tell them that I just simply throw it back onto my finger. I explain that it's impossible to do it slowly, so I demonstrate by actually taking the ring off, slowly tossing it back to the hand, and then slipping it onto my finger again. And after that, they genuinely believe that's how it done. They just can't come to terms with my "hand skills" (lol). I then get credited with being "insanely fast with my hands". Hey... the ladies love hearing that, hahah.

I think every magician should learn this one and learn it well. It's such an awesome illusion. Completely impromptu, can even be done with a borrowed ring, and like I said, it's just a GREAT opener.

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
Yep. I have a six phase routine using nothing but my finger ring. It is awesome! It's like a one coin routine except it uses a ring. Get his ring thing dvd if you don't already have it. It's awesome. :D I honestly like this because it is something I ALWAYS have on me. It's the one thing I can always do. It's great. The best thing is, I PRESENT it like I just have fast reflexes. And everyone believes it. After I'm done with the ring "reflexes" I'll talk about reflexes for a minute or so and then take out my deck of cards and show them another example of my fast reflexes (in which I pluck there card out of a deck that is being thrown into the air).

Feel free to use that idea as well, if you want. :D

-PTG

Nov 24, 2007
Hermosillo Sonora
nice :D but you say you do this as if nothing had happened, thats not good. Because, if you do that they will react as if nothing had happened. Its like when someone laughs histerically, you tend to do the same thing, even when nothing funny happened. They transmit that emotion to you :p And the reason what they bug you its because you made the magic to be about your props and not you, so for them is a puzzle they have to figure out.
Im just learning all that stuff and as MOST people i didnt know it.
I recommend you to read Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. Holy **** what a book! :D

Mar 12, 2009
nice :D but you say you do this as if nothing had happened, thats not good. Because, if you do that they will react as if nothing had happened. Its like when someone laughs histerically, you tend to do the same thing, even when nothing funny happened. They transmit that emotion to you :p And the reason what they bug you its because you made the magic to be about your props and not you, so for them is a puzzle they have to figure out.
Im just learning all that stuff and as MOST people i didnt know it.
I recommend you to read Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. Holy **** what a book! :D

Ah, let me rephrase. I act as if nothing "extraordinarily supernatural" had happened. Meaning, in effect, I literally threw the ring back onto my finger with extreme speed.

In other words, I don't want it to seem like I'm doing a magic trick. I play it off as if I have extreme speed in my hands.

In my experience, if the frame of a "magic trick" is established for the ring thing, it is at that point when they will start to question whether you actually took the ring off or not. Or if you have two rings, or if you did X or if you did Y or Z.

Basically, they will start to be aware of the fact that deception is involved.

You see what I'm saying?

I play it off as if I've practiced throwing that damn ring onto my finger so many times that I've got it down solid.

Jun 29, 2009
Ah, let me rephrase. I act as if nothing "extraordinarily supernatural" had happened. Meaning, in effect, I literally threw the ring back onto my finger with extreme speed.

In other words, I don't want it to seem like I'm doing a magic trick. I play it off as if I have extreme speed in my hands.

In my experience, if the frame of a "magic trick" is established for the ring thing, it is at that point when they will start to question whether you actually took the ring off or not. Or if you have two rings, or if you did X or if you did Y or Z.

Basically, they will start to be aware of the fact that deception is involved.

You see what I'm saying?

I play it off as if I've practiced throwing that damn ring onto my finger so many times that I've got it down solid.

I get what you're saying, both of you. Either way, that effect was cool and i'd like to learn it. Where can i learn this type of effect and other effects?

Dec 5, 2007
I would also like to share my favorite opener.

My favourit opener is to walk up to the spectators and fart them right in their face.

Never fails to get the look of astonishment on their faces.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results