My hands :(

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So recently I've been working on palming, and I'm also starting to realize my hands are as small as anything! I honestly have the smallest hands out of anyone I know, heh its a bit embarrassing when all my friends that are girls have bigger hands then me too :p.

So anyone have any good advice on this? Basically any type of palm i try and do there is a flash except in maybe one view, providing the spectator (or myself) doesn't move whatsoever, that you cant see the card, which is way too impractical =/. Should i keep working at it and maybe my hands will grow bigger (i am only 16), or just stop palming for now and focusing on other sleights?

Any help is appreciated :)
Thanks!

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
The best way is PRACTICE. A magician is not a magician if they cannot achieve the impossible.
Practice man, aim to acheive!

-Eugene

Apr 8, 2008
well... i advise you do finger exercises, like the ones taught on the Trilogy dvd.

I used to have extremely small hands, my hands were the size of a girl's hands

i'm lucky, i played piano, and it naturally stretched my hands. but over the years my hands grew bigger. don't worry, just keep stretching your fingers, do finger exercises, do push ups (makes your palm bigger) and i dont know...

best of luck!
Fred

Oct 13, 2007
Small Hands...

If you are worried about small hands go check out Lee Asher's website he has a copy of his hand and they are tini-tiny. Just keep at it :)

Sep 1, 2007
People used to ask Max Malini, one of the greatest magicians of all time, who consequently had such small hands that it was a legal handicap, "how do you palm cards?" He would say, "I do it when no one's looking."

Besides, I've got it worse. I've got huge windows between my fingers. But it doesn't matter. I don't palm cards when anyone is looking either.

Sep 11, 2007
Houston TX
My hands are half the size of Lee Ashers lol but i still palm cards with alot of misderection oh but i perfer copping instead, its easier since my hands are reallly small

Nov 3, 2007
Kyrgyzstan
MAN. Don'tworry about your little hands. My hands are not so little but my hands are not so big as Tudor's hands :)

When I started palming I thing just like you but know I can PALM :) Praktice

I too used to worry about "small hands" and how palming felt impossible. But once I had got the courage to try it in real situations, I noticed there was nothing to worry about. My technique certainly isn't great, but my attitude towards the move is - I no longer try and think negatively to something that is, in reality, so easily achievable.

Another thing I should point out is how you should perform the move. You obviously won't be staring at your hands saying "check this out.. my hands are empty, honest." You would more than likely be communicating with your audience and generally being yourself; don't try and 'hide' the move nor pay any attention to your hands. After all, you're not doing anything - right?

Something else you may want to consider is your situation, let's assume you're sitting down performing, and you are palming a card (secretly) in your right hand. Rather than just going immediately to your pocket and producing the card (or whatever), pause for a few beats. For instance, openly and casually rest your right hand palm on your lap. This means there is now little tension in this hand as the lap is providing the impromptu table until your load - your right hand is just used as a cover. To your audience, it merely looks like you're relaxing your hand as you speak with them. At this point you can perhaps set the deck on the table with your left hand, or hand it to a spectator to shuffle as you re-palm the card in the right hand and plant it where necessary.

There's a fine line between not being able to, and thinking that you aren't able to - and I'm sure it's just the latter. :)

Hope this helps,
Jordan

Sep 1, 2007
Malaysia
www.youtube.com
Hmm ... Maybe do pattering? Talk gibberish I guess.
For the size of hand issue, my advice is to play hand sports such as basketball or rugby. Overtime you'll surely see a big improvement :) However, if you're not into that, I guess you can just rely on pattering.

Whenever I perform a particular palming trick in front of a person, I just misdirect him/her by keeping a good eye contact and keep looking at him/her while talking. Trust me, the person will want to look up at you (shift glance from cards to your face) and probably will be wondering why you're gazing at him/her. THEN ... I do the palm

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 11, 2007
Lebanon, Bierut
use a bridge sized deck its better for small hands but if u wanna become the best of the best u have to practice alot and as some have said check out the trilogy's everythingelse and exercise ur fingers it worked with me

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yea guys thanks a ton for all the input! It really has been helpful, and Jordan i definitely see what you are saying and ill work on it :).
So thanks a lot all you guys, i will continue to work on using lots of misdirection while i palm my cards ;).

Oh and by the way i looked at lee Asher's hand and my hand is the same size, its almost a perfect match haha, anyway thanks a lot to everyone, i think i can do it now :).

Jan 11, 2008
New york
well... i advise you do finger exercises, like the ones taught on the Trilogy dvd.

I used to have extremely small hands, my hands were the size of a girl's hands

i'm lucky, i played piano, and it naturally stretched my hands. but over the years my hands grew bigger. don't worry, just keep stretching your fingers, do finger exercises, do push ups (makes your palm bigger) and i dont know...

best of luck!
Fred
You forgot to tell him to smack a sink full of water 100 times for each hand for 100 days. I can classic palm a license plate now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results