My Promotional DVD

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I have to say it's not bad. Honestly though there are a couple things you may want to consider.

I had a long discussion with someone about putting together press material for a press kit. I thought "hey why not make a DVD?" If you are a business owner chances are you won't have the time to pop in a dvd let alone sit there for what ever long to watch it. When it comes down to it, you need to have a solid press kit, solid website and promo video.

Also, I think it's great you show A LOT of spectator reactions. The only problem I could see is your image. You seem to just blend in with your spectators in a way. I'm sure it doesn't seem that way when you're performing. What i mean is your attire doesn't say "I'm the magician."

Finally, there was bit in the video you might want to revise. "Why do you want to hire me? I amaze..." I understand that may seem like the go to answer but the real answer is you use that power to amaze to make THEIR event an even better success. An event everyone will talk about.

Just as a side note, I've actually watched every one of your videos as they come out. I just think if you could change those three things you could be really good.

Hope this didn't come off wrong but only trying to help
~Chrisfecto

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i like it bro.
I agree with chris on all of what he said, i think you should put in how you can help their business. That's all there really worried about.
I also like the full performance you put in, but you might want to put in a shorter performance.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
I agree. The DVD is one of the many tools I use in my presentations for managers. I tell them what I do and how I can help there business. Answer any questions they have. Then I give them a small performance so they can see what I do a bit better. Then they watch the DVD to see what I do in action with real people. Then I give them my bio sheet, which I walk them through: I.E Credentials, awards, testimonials, etc. Then I show them my fliers and head shots, along with my price sheet. I end up cutting them a deal (Not really but I make it seem that way). Then they may say yes right there, or I give them my card and they can think about it and call me. I'll leave them with my Promo Kit, and that's that! Keep the advice coming y'all!

Jun 10, 2010
I have to say it's not bad. Honestly though there are a couple things you may want to consider.

I had a long discussion with someone about putting together press material for a press kit. I thought "hey why not make a DVD?" If you are a business owner chances are you won't have the time to pop in a dvd let alone sit there for what ever long to watch it. When it comes down to it, you need to have a solid press kit, solid website and promo video.

Also, I think it's great you show A LOT of spectator reactions. The only problem I could see is your image. You seem to just blend in with your spectators in a way. I'm sure it doesn't seem that way when you're performing. What i mean is your attire doesn't say "I'm the magician."

Finally, there was bit in the video you might want to revise. "Why do you want to hire me? I amaze..." I understand that may seem like the go to answer but the real answer is you use that power to amaze to make THEIR event an even better success. An event everyone will talk about.

Just as a side note, I've actually watched every one of your videos as they come out. I just think if you could change those three things you could be really good.

Hope this didn't come off wrong but only trying to help
~Chrisfecto

I pretty much agree with him on all his points. I only have one minor issue to add which really doesn't make a difference: Picture quality. Yours is kind of... blurry? Not really clear, and the camera's kind of shaky. If you could get like a tripod, or have the cameraman hold the camera without shaking it as much, it'd look better. Also, a good camera that films in HD quality would be nice, like a flip ultra hd. Other then that, I love it.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I agree. The DVD is one of the many tools I use in my presentations for managers. I tell them what I do and how I can help there business. Answer any questions they have. Then I give them a small performance so they can see what I do a bit better. Then they watch the DVD to see what I do in action with real people. Then I give them my bio sheet, which I walk them through: I.E Credentials, awards, testimonials, etc. Then I show them my fliers and head shots, along with my price sheet. I end up cutting them a deal (Not really but I make it seem that way). Then they may say yes right there, or I give them my card and they can think about it and call me. I'll leave them with my Promo Kit, and that's that! Keep the advice coming y'all!

That whole sequence of things would be great in an ideal world but I really think you'll rarely ever get that kind of time. I would condense it all. I definitely agree with trying to get some HD content too.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
That is out of my control in the immediate future. My presentation is about 10-12 minuets. Is that too long?

Waaaayyy too long! There are a bunch of different ways to get the attention of the manager but once you do have it you need to show them how you can give their business an edge.

Time is money. You cost money to hire and their losing money sitting there listening to you.
You need to quickly convince them you are worth their time and money.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Waaaayyy too long! There are a bunch of different ways to get the attention of the manager but once you do have it you need to show them how you can give their business an edge.

Time is money. You cost money to hire and their losing money sitting there listening to you.
You need to quickly convince them you are worth their time and money.

Well clearly you set up a meeting, you don't just barge in and demand to talk to him lol. The managers generally set up their meetings in the morning before the place opens. 10 or 12 min. - 5 for the DVD, is 5 or 7 minuets of talking. Idk, to me it seems reasonable. Also about the quality, it does look better on the DVD, not too much but better.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
In a way i found one of the more effective ways to get a restaurant job is to "barge in there" in a way.

I've tried a bunch of different ways. I've called ahead to ask for an interview. I literally had one say yes. Calling ahead and trying to explain yourself is one of the most awkward calls to make and they are too busy to even be on the phone. The biggest problem is that you're giving them and opportunity to say NO. Believe me I got a lot of No's from cold calling like that.

The best way to do it is to have a bite to eat at the place with a few friends. Do a few tricks for your friends but make sure other people can see them. Involve the wait staff for a quick one if possible. If you notice a kid at the table next to you make sure to ask first but do one just for them. What you basically want to do is get everyone around you on your side- the wait staff and customers around you. Once the manager starts to notice the show ask if you could show him something and as you are say "I used to work in a place just like this, it was a great time, i'd love to do it again." Then if he's still interested (which theres no reason he shouldn't be at this point) give him your card and suggest you meet at some point or if he has time there to discuss working something out.

I'm only speaking from working in fine dining restaurants, managers and owners will never have the time. The morning is the time for prep work for the day. I don't think a DVD is the way to go if you're standing right in front of them in the flesh and can audition.

Don't give them a chance to say no!

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
In a way i found one of the more effective ways to get a restaurant job is to "barge in there" in a way.

I've tried a bunch of different ways. I've called ahead to ask for an interview. I literally had one say yes. Calling ahead and trying to explain yourself is one of the most awkward calls to make and they are too busy to even be on the phone. The biggest problem is that you're giving them and opportunity to say NO. Believe me I got a lot of No's from cold calling like that.

The best way to do it is to have a bite to eat at the place with a few friends. Do a few tricks for your friends but make sure other people can see them. Involve the wait staff for a quick one if possible. If you notice a kid at the table next to you make sure to ask first but do one just for them. What you basically want to do is get everyone around you on your side- the wait staff and customers around you. Once the manager starts to notice the show ask if you could show him something and as you are say "I used to work in a place just like this, it was a great time, i'd love to do it again." Then if he's still interested (which theres no reason he shouldn't be at this point) give him your card and suggest you meet at some point or if he has time there to discuss working something out.

I'm only speaking from working in fine dining restaurants, managers and owners will never have the time. The morning is the time for prep work for the day. I don't think a DVD is the way to go if you're standing right in front of them in the flesh and can audition.

Don't give them a chance to say no!

Great advice! Thank you so much, I'll definitely give it a shot that way.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Ok...I`ve been watching the video a couple times..and I must say there something I really don`t like or feel that is lacking...

the lack of profesional gigs or events..

I am aware you have done gigs and special events, but in the video I don`t see any of them, like a stand-up show, corporate gigs, private parties...all the video is about casual performances, maybe you were hired for some of those events but your look and the nature of you performance could make the manager think that you weren`t hired for those events...you just were passing by and perform for free..

show clients lists, quotes from manager, pictures and video of you performing in a paid and serious environment...

also I agree about your look, while I now maybe you do street magic, you should be aware that you must dress better than your audience...

EDIT: here is a video of what I think is a great promotional...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibmn6lpiaLQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
The point about "not barging in" -

David Blaine would go into his potential clients, and barrage them with amazing card tricks until he could go talk to the head honcho. That was before his name was huge by the way. I feel that you have to take the initiative and make them want you.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Ok...I`ve been watching the video a couple times..and I must say there something I really don`t like or feel that is lacking...

the lack of profesional gigs or events..

I am aware you have done gigs and special events, but in the video I don`t see any of them, like a stand-up show, corporate gigs, private parties...all the video is about casual performances, maybe you were hired for some of those events but your look and the nature of you performance could make the manager think that you weren`t hired for those events...you just were passing by and perform for free..

show clients lists, quotes from manager, pictures and video of you performing in a paid and serious environment...

also I agree about your look, while I now maybe you do street magic, you should be aware that you must dress better than your audience...

EDIT: here is a video of what I think is a great promotional...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibmn6lpiaLQ

Great video, although my credentials aren't that great yet. I am gathering a list of testimonials at the moment though. I will dress in a white cuffed long-sleeve shirt with a dress coat and jeans.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results