Mystique - Big Hands?

Apr 25, 2008
does anybody that has the video know if that in some of the tricks you need big hands? thanks

Dec 10, 2007
there is no trick where you need big hands. Having small hands is just an excuse that beginners hide behind. If your hands seem to small make an adjustment. Jordan Lapping has small hands and he's probably the best amature ive ever seen. Lee Asher also has tiny hands if i remember correctly. So if it seems your hands are too small. Make and adjustment and you will be fine.

Sep 1, 2007
You should never need big hands for anything in magic. It honestly is not a problem if you know how to handle your audience.

Now, I don't have small hands, but I do have huge windows in between my fingers and it's really only ever been a problem when doing the PH Invisible Palm, but I just cater my patter accordingly.

In fact, having small hands can work to your advantage as you would be the last person anyone would expect to hide something in their hands.

Trust me, if you have a good sense of misdirection (no pun intended) then size does not matter.

Jun 14, 2008
Just curious...

I have TINY hands and I agree completely about it not mattering when doing magic.

Flourishing on the other hand I find to be a different story, how for instance (if nyone knows) could I adapt the thumb cut for my small hands, or even a double charlier??

I can do most XCM moves as they are mainly based on flexibility, but, what about moves like these when I think size DEFINITELY matters!

Any suggestions??

PS: Sorry for tagging along on this thread I know it's not 100% relevant.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I can't do a Double Charlier, either. :( My thumb still isn't big enough... and I've been waiting for over a year now!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Try this for a Double Charlier... It's slightly slower than it could be, but it still works. Start off normal Charlier, but instead of pushing the bottom packet over the top and closing it, push the bottom packet up but not over; use your thumb to push the bottom packet against the side of the top packet instead of entirely over it. Remove the index finger underneath; by focussing thumb pressure on the top half of the side of the top packet, the bottom half of the top packet should drop, forming a triangle. The removed index finger can then pick up the dropped packet à la the normal Double Charlier and then close it, or continue in the same manner for a Running Charlier.

I have no idea if anyone's published that idea before, I'm fairly new (a year) to flourishing anyway, but that's how I perform it...

Unless you have to palm an entire cinder block then small hands isn't a problem. Small hands is usually just an excuse that younger and newer magicians use to cover up mistakes. the truth is, everyone makes mistakes. Learn from them.

Also, if you feel that your hands are too small then I highly support the idea of adjusting. For example, I am american but my great grandparents were Polish. The Polish often have short, fat fingers. so I have inherited these fingers and for a while it seemed that a simple charlier cut was not going to happen. Well, eventually I realized that I didn't have to have my thumb hold the top packet the whole time. Once the lower packet was halfway to my thumb I could remove the thumb and the lower pack couls upport the upper one. now, I can charlier multiple times in a row. Just make slight adjustments.

Dylan P.

JoeCarr

Banned
Jan 6, 2008
Manchester
ahh but most of you are missing times when audiences have to look directly at your hands, eg. aaron fishers strike change, or any palmed change....

in that case, small hands put you at a disadvantage, oh and whoever said, none of the flourishes in motion require big hands...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results