Mystique by Daniel Madison

Oct 21, 2007
Bergen County, NJ, USA
Daniel Madison's magic DVD with a bunch of his effects on one disc. This is part of his 2 DVD set. One is for flourishing (Motion), the other is for magic (Mystique). This review is for Mystique.

Dangerous.jpg

Introduction

I've heard mixed opinions of this DVD and I have mixed opinions myself. Some stuff I'll use, other stuff I just feel overall isn't good, and some stuff I think should be worked on. With that being said, let's tackle each trick 1 by 1.

Bad Influence

The effect: The performer hands the deck to a spectator. The performer asks the spectator to go through the cards face down and slide a random card forward that they feel is [insert random card here]. The spectator does so and gives it to the performer. The deck is then passed to another spectator and the same thing is done with another card. This process goes on as many times as he/she wants. The cards are then turned over to reveal that everyone picked the chosen cards!

Thoughts: This effect is very good. One of my favorite from the DVD. This has been my "go to" trick for a while. I mean that as in, if I were just asked to perform a trick on the spot without being prepared for anything, this would be one of the tricks I would usually do. Easy to do and hits hard. Very good trick. I use this one a lot.

Aces

Effect: The performer does a version of the Sybil cut and finds the first ace in a flourishy manner. The performer then asks the spectator if they saw the next ace go to the performer's pocket. The next ace is produced from the back pocket. The next ace is produced by squeezing the deck and showing the whole deck vanished with the exception of the next ace. It is placed on the table with the other 2 aces. The magician then acts as though he/she is going to produce the next ace when it is then revealed to already be down with the other aces! You end with no deck and 4 aces.

Thoughts: This is something I USED to do. Normally I hate all flourishy ace productions or tricks that are used to gather the 4 aces. However, this is probably my favorite of all of them. However, I still don't perform it because it is not my style. I'm never flourishy with my magic. I used this while I was still finding my style. Not anymore. This is good if its your style. If its not, skip it. I don't use it.

Angle Zero

Effect: A card is chosen. The corner is then torn off the playing card the card is handed to the spectator. The performer then makes the corner vanish with no funny moves. The corner is then revealed any way the performer wishes.

Thoughts: Now THIS is awesome. It is probably also one of the easiest tricks you will learn how to do. VERY awesome. Love it love it love it. It KILLS. The way Madison reveals it makes people go NUTS. (They scream the loudest for this effect in the preview.... It makes my ears bleed.) He reveals its stabbed through one of the hands on a clock. Clever clever.

vlcsnap-1010612.png

Catch

Effect: A card is chosen and then is shuffled into the deck using a bunch of fancy looking cuts. A few cards are then thrown in the air and land on the deck while 3 cards actually land on your other hand. The chosen card is revealed sandwiched between two aces.

Thoughts: Ew.... No thank you. Even if you do use flourishes as your style, I still do not think you would like this. In my opinion it just looks ugly and in my opinion, does not look like magic. It looks like you are just pretty cool with cards. I don't see how a spectator would get that moment of astonishment with this effect. Never used it nor do I plan to. This one would had been better if kept off the DVD. No thanks.

Color

Effect: This is not much of an effect. It is a color change inspired by the Shapeshifter. A card is flicked and instantly changes into another card.

Thoughts: Pretty cool. However, I've never taken the time to actually learn it. I have just been using my normal good ol' Shapeshifter. This may look pretty good to others though. I don't use it nor do I have any plans to do so. Pretty cool though. I just haven't bothered using it.

Half Vanish

Effect: Again, not an effect. It is a way to vanish a card. Looks very cool.

Thoughts: Madison teaches you how to use it as a quick sandwich effect. I like it. However, I'd rather use it in some other effects that I already do or come up with some other unique uses for it. Its a nice vanish and I will come up with some uses for it in the future. I'm glad this was put on the DVD.

Heritage

Effect: A 4 card poker hand is shown face down. The cards have a different back design from the rest of the deck (thus showing the cards are from a different deck). You explain the card that you need is the center card. The spectator deals a bunch of cards face up and when they feel the time is right, they deal another card face down. This card is placed in the center. All 4 cards with the exception of the dealt face down card from the spectator. They see an ace, a two, a 4, and a 5. The rest of the deck is spread face up. They do not see a 3. The 3 is turned face up from the performer's 5 cards.

Thoughts: Easy. Requires some set up, but is no biggie. I have yet to use this, but I probably will someday. Its a neat effect and I like it. Easy too. Nice nice.

Lapse

Effect: Two playing cards are selected and signed. One is placed into the performer's back pocket. The next card is lost in the deck. The performer riffles down the pack and cuts the deck at that point to find the signed card that was placed into the performer's back pocket. The performer drops that card on the table face down and acts confused and pulls out the card that was placed into their back pocket. Its still that card. Even more confused, the performer turns over the first card that was placed on the table to find the other signed card.

Thoughts: Love it. Impromptu. Not too hard. I do it a lot. Fun fun fun effect. I like how the magic happens and you act confused yourself as the performer. I like effects where it looks like the performer messes up yet its still magical. Very cool effect with two signed cards.

Focus

Effect: This can either be used as a color change or part of an effect you perform already. The deck is held in the with the bottom of the deck facing the spectator. The card instantly changes into another card. The changed card can then either be revealed in the performer's pocket or you can just leave it changed and not reveal it. Up to you.

Thoughts: Again, this is something I have not used, but probably will use in the future at some point. It will take a bit of practice. Nice instant color change.

vlcsnap-1052721.png

Role Play

Effect: Astonish yourself! (Or allow the spectator to think that. Ha. Anyway...) A card is selected and is lost in the deck. The performer gives the deck to the spectator and explains that they will now become the magician. The spectator spreads the cards and their hands and the performer picks a random one. (No the cards aren't marked, DM even looks away from the cards as he picks one. This is not gimmicked.) The cards are then spread face up to show that the card originally chosen is not there. The performer then reveals the card.

Thoughts: WOW! I forgot I knew this effect! Fun fun fun effect. Easy. Impromptu. Love it. Not really much else to say.

vlcsnap-1054017.png

Breach

Effect: The deck is under the table with the deck facing up. Instantly, the top card visually goes from under the table to above the table. It can then be done again if the performer desires to make it go under the table back on the deck.

Thoughts: Not much of a fan. Never bothered to spend any time with this one mainly because it does not fit the environments I perform in. This may be different with others. It also requires you to have a certain gimmick with you. Just not practical for me. Others may find it practical though. Not me though. I skipped this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Thoughts on the DVD

It has its ups and downs. Thankfully the ups outdo the downs. I have gotten some material out of it. Effects like Bad Influence and Angle Zero are awesome. Catch is just plain ugly. I also got some nice moves such as Focus and the Half Vanish out of it. Just look at the effects and see if they fit your style. This DVD in my opinion was pretty darn good. I have been more of a fan of Theory 11's single trick DVD's such as Witness, Believe, Panic, and more which can be stronger than some of the effects on this DVD, but this DVD has some tricks that are great, but not as good as the single trick DVD's. (Angle Zero still kills though and is an AMAZING effect that WILL kill just as much as your single DVD effects like Witness.) This project still gets a plus and did live up to the hype for me. It may be a bit more expensive than the single trick DVD's, but that is obviously due to the wealth of material on here. This gets a plus.

(I have yet to write a negative review about any Theory 11 product. Let's keep it that way!)

-Doug

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Freaking awesome review. Thank you for being honest.
I never picked this up though because I could never see myself performing any of the effects besides lapse. I did end up getting Motion and loved it.
Great, great review Doug.

_CC

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Great review

Thanks alot for this well crafted review, it was thorough, complete, an most of all u gave ur honest opinion on all the effects...thats a plus in my book. An thats wat is sadly missed in many reveiws..honest, plain & simple. I also have a number of his effects...BURN...BIND...82...etc...from the sounds of it I myte get this....on the other hand I need more feedback on mystique. My reveiw of the reveiw...5/5

Dec 31, 2008
this is a good review, but to me catch is good, not amazing, but not as "ugly" as
you say it is. its a great effect when performed right.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Lapse

Effect: Two playing cards are selected and signed. One is placed into the performer's back pocket. The next card is lost in the deck. The performer riffles down the pack and cuts the deck at that point to find the signed card that was placed into the performer's back pocket. The performer drops that card on the table face down and acts confused and pulls out the card that was placed into their back pocket. Its still that card. Even more confused, the performer turns over the first card that was placed on the table to find the other signed card.

Thoughts: Love it. Impromptu. Not too hard. I do it a lot. Fun fun fun effect. I like how the magic happens and you act confused yourself as the performer. I like effects where it looks like the performer messes up yet its still magical. Very cool effect with two signed cards.

See man, Laspe..... I love lapse. But the problem is, is that I've done it many many times and people don't really seem to get what is happening. I first though, "ok I think I'm going to fast and not explaining it that well" so I cleared everything up and did it a lot slower and people still don't get what the trick is...... :confused:

I love doing it, it's quite fun to perform but it just sucks that people aren't getting the effect.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
This is probably the best review I've seen for Mystique.

Great job, sinful.

Hoping to see more from you.

-KOS07

Jan 30, 2009
As a full effect Angle Zero was the only one that fit my style, but I also have a strong developed style. I tend to do lots of destructive tricks. There was still some other decent material here. Some of the segments are presented weak.

May 3, 2008
My favorite on there was Heritage. Breach, even though is gutsy and angly, is in my opinion pretty badass. I also liked Angle Zero and Bad Influence. I liked the move for Half Vanish but it did not feel like an effect worthy of the dvd. Lapse is good even though it can be confusing. I think everything else did not deserve to be on this set because they did not feel complete. Aces and Catch cannot be considered magical at all. Focus is an impractical move and Color is a huge step down from the original Shapeshifter change. A lot of people seemed to like this dvd, but this was not for me. I only use about 2 things from here.

Sep 20, 2008
I second the above post.

heritage, Bad influence and angle zero are bad ass.

Lapse seems confusing. Everything else is not really practical for real life. Breach for instance, or focus.

However may i point out: D+M's Motion Dvd (Part 2 of the Dangerous DVD) is quite excellent.

I amuse myself by doing Cylinder cuts/Bicycle in front of a mirror. =D

Trilogy (Dan and dave buck )flourishes are DEFINITELY harder than Motion Flourishes.

Oct 21, 2007
Bergen County, NJ, USA
this is a good review, but to me catch is good, not amazing, but not as "ugly" as
you say it is. its a great effect when performed right.

I still stand behind what I said. I want magic. I don't want a bunch of fancy cuts and have the card land between 2 aces. I think it looks ugly and I'll never use it. I'd love to see a video of it being performed and the spectator actually enjoying it as much as most other card tricks. Maybe you made it work. In that case, good for you. However, I didn't bother trying to make it work for me and I really don't see how it can. Notice how Catch was also one of the effects that WAS NOT performed for the people at the party. It was done by himself with the camera. So I'm not sure if DM even performs this effect. I'll stick to my Role Play, Bad Influence, Angle Zero, and a few others. Catch in my opinion is not magic and does not look good even by what I consider "Buck" magic. :p (I do like D&D's magic. They just aren't my style. I lengthen the effects from the Trilogy I perform with patter. :) I love you Swiss Made. :D)

-Doug

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I still stand behind what I said. I want magic. I don't want a bunch of fancy cuts and have the card land between 2 aces. I think it looks ugly and I'll never use it. I'd love to see a video of it being performed and the spectator actually enjoying it as much as most other card tricks. Maybe you made it work. In that case, good for you. However, I didn't bother trying to make it work for me and I really don't see how it can. Notice how Catch was also one of the effects that WAS NOT performed for the people at the party. It was done by himself with the camera. So I'm not sure if DM even performs this effect. I'll stick to my Role Play, Bad Influence, Angle Zero, and a few others. Catch in my opinion is not magic and does not look good even by what I consider "Buck" magic. :p (I do like D&D's magic. They just aren't my style. I lengthen the effects from the Trilogy I perform with patter. :) I love you Swiss Made. :D)

-Doug

The other things I didn't like about catch was that it wasn't even very flowing for a flourishy effect. Before the final revelation, even d+M himself has to pause for a second to prepare for the move - it made my magician stomach churn the same as when you watch a magician picking at the cards at the back of the deck trying to get a break.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
The other things I didn't like about catch was that it wasn't even very flowing for a flourishy effect. Before the final revelation, even d+M himself has to pause for a second to prepare for the move - it made my magician stomach churn the same as when you watch a magician picking at the cards at the back of the deck trying to get a break.

well ...thats what he's actually doing,trying to get a break........
Thoush i also thinkit is ugly as sinful said.

George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results