Mythical Creatures

Dec 22, 2007
I need some advice.

I was doing reset for a class mate, and he turned over the cards on the table. What should i do if someone tries to turn a card or cards over when they're not supposed to?

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
2CM is a great practice for this. Its either because they lost focus of attention cannot hold much longer, they are not in the zone. Today i performed a quick Four Ace routine, i had him hold one ace (i forget which) face down, infact that ace was switched for the opposite suit, he tried turning it over. I jus held out my palm face down to direct his attention back.

Normally during things like these i would force their direction back towards what i am doing, because for me once they are linked, i chain combo them with my army of 52. While i was at school performing for people in my Year, it was hard because i could be easily made fool out of by other Year mates, most of which i dont talk to or seem inferior to, but i try to develope a relationship with them through performance. I treat them as if i am giving them a gift, so i ask questions to assure they trust me. Things like "Am i going to fast?", "Here, trust me man, hold this card like that in your hand". So most times people i perform for come merrily, go happily.

Its not good, in the middle of a performance to go telling someone to not turn over the card when they feel, or is about to turn them over, it ruins the performance. "So, you have chosen a - hey don't do that!". I try mostly with indirect suggestions as to not be foolish by turning the card over.

I'd say place the cards away from the audience to subtely tell them not to touch them or make them less willing to grab them (reaching across a table)...or you could place a mouse-trap over them.

Edit: Or you could just listen to what Shakutau said.

~PaCo

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
your sense of...'sense'...makes less and less...'sense'.

either way, you should try to study audience managment. Try to keep your audience perplexed and entretained, so that they don't have time to wonder about things. You could also ask one of you spectators to put their hand on top of the card, thus 'sandwhiching' it between two pairs of hands.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
You smack them in the face and then yell at them for 'Daring to turn the card over at the wrong moment.' Then you drink their beer, steal their girlfriend and walk off merrily with their car keys.

On a more serious note, just snap their attention back to you, like previously mentioned. Tell them to watch or they'll miss the slight of hand usually works. Or snap change randomly at them, or shapeshift, or spring the deck. I dunno, just force them to think about what you're doing.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
A good way to prevent that is to add 'convincers' to the routine. This is a tricky thing to do, but there are some good examples in the 2 card monte routines that exist. Such as repeatedly showing the card before the switch, or doing a simpler trick before that establishes elements of the effect ect.

Another way is to build it into the routine. (ie. "this is a guessing game, so don't peek/cheat", or "let's test your vision/tracking ability to see if you can distinguish where your card is simply by looking at the backs" etc)

And if that doesn't work and they reach for it, a hammer might work.

;)
j

Sounds strange, but place the cards in their hands if you can. Control them, not over controlling, such as saying, "here hold these cards, but do not turn them over!!! Please do not turn them over what ever you do, ok!?".

Just put it in their hands like you don't care, the natural attitude you give makes them think nothing of it.

Sep 20, 2008
if its 2cm, i usually tell them to hold the first card (Ace?) hold it face down and shake it a bit (providing ive done the shake change beforehand).

i'll let them shake it a bit, then ask them to turn it over. the card hasnt changed (obviously) And they'll have a strange look on their faces. this is my queue to say "haha, im not that good, turn it back down..."

and continue with the routine. my 2cm gets good reactions, so this 'line' that i use seems to always work for me. they obey afterwards.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results