Myths & Legends

Oct 19, 2007
with all the fuzz about big foot lately reminded me that 3 days before I heard(which was yesterday). I got a book about the 100 greatest mystery's and one of the stories really freaked me out and has to do with hitler's death check it out:

The Spear of Destiny, also known as the Spear of Longinus and the Heilige Lance — Holy Lance — is one of the most important Christian relics of the Passion of Jesus Christ. As first described in John 19:31-37, the Spear was used by a Roman soldier (Gaius Cassius, later called Longinus) to pierce the side of Christ as he hung on the cross. The Spear, bathed in the blood of the Lamb and playing a significant role in the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, is believed to have acquired tremendous mystical power. The first sign of that power was the purported healing of Gaius Cassius’s failing eyesight by blood from the wound. The centurion later become an early convert to Christianity.

The Spear subsequently passed through a multitude of hands, coming into the possession of many of Europe’s most important political and military leaders, including Constantine I, Alaric (the Visigoth king who sacked Rome in the year 410), Frankish general Charles Martel, Charlemagne, Frederick of Barbarossa, and Frederick II. A leader who possessed the Spear was said to be invincible; Charlemagne and Frederick of Barbarossa were undefeated in battle until they let the Spear fall from their hands. A legend arose that whoever claimed the Spear “holds the destiny of the world in his hands for good or evil.”

As a young man Adolf Hitler was fascinated by the Spear of Destiny, which he first saw displayed in the Hofsburg museum in Vienna, Austria in 1909. Hitler was familiar with the legend of the Holy Lance. His interest in the relic was further amplified by its role in the 1882 opera Parsifal — by Hitler’s favorite composer, Richard Wagner — which concerned a group of ninth-century knights and their quest for the Holy Grail. Hitler’s fascination with the Spear was pivotal in sparking his interest in the occult, which gave birth to his ideas on the origins and purpose of the Germanic race and contributed to his belief in his own destiny as a world conqueror.

On October 12, 1938, not long after the German annexation of Austria, Hitler ordered the S.S. to seize the Spear and other artifacts from Vienna. They were taken by train to Nuremberg, where they were stored in St. Katherine’s Church. The Spear remained in St. Katherine’s until 1944, when it was moved to a specially constructed vault beneath the church, built in secret and at great expense, intended to protect it and the other stolen relics from Allied bombs. Nuremberg was captured by Allied troops in April of the following year. The vault was subsequently discovered by American Army officers. The Spear was confiscated by American forces on the afternoon of April 30, 1945, less than two hours before Hitler’s suicide in his underground bunker in Berlin. Like the Spear’s previous owners, Hitler perished after the relic was taken from him.

what do you think about it?

edit: I konw this doesnt have anything to do with illusions but hey.........its interesting

Apr 28, 2008
It's an interesting story but to suggest Hitler's death is related to the loss of the spear is absolutley ridiculous.

He killed himself because of the Allied forces were attacking on multiple fronts and claiming major German cities. Soviet forces had entered Berlin and were quickly claiming it. Hitler asked his physician for a reliable way of killing himself, the physician suggested Cyanide and a Gunshot.

As you can see from this, there were many events leading up to Hitler's death.

Historical artifacts being seized is simply a byproduct of cities being taken over and obviously coincides with the end of a war.

I would suspect that the previous owners who died upon losing the spear where also in a position in which their death was almost inevitable (due to losing a battle or war etc), as with Hitler, the loss of any artifacts will obviously coincide with this.

The only reason this story may sound even remotely likely is due to the ommission of far more important events that happened before the loss of the spear.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Oh, you're absolutely right on that point - something I thought of but forgot to mention. Squ!rrel makes an excellent point, in that of course, the most powerful side would win, and hence gain possession of the spear, thus accounting for its travels with the greatest people and civilisations. Props to Squ!rrel for pointing that out in a sound manner.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results