Name of trick(s)

Aug 19, 2008
That is a beautiful routine, very reminiscent of the “This or That” trick. It seems like a fairly simple sequence of Elmsley counts, so if you experiment with that, you can probably come up with something like it.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
It looks brilliant. I just wish the ending was different. If you're trying to prove that all the four cards are changing colour, then revealing that you actually have just one card of each colour seems counter-productive and ends on a not-so-magical-anymore note.

Upvoted nonetheless. :)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It looks like a variation on Roy Walton's Restless Colours. Aldo Colombini taught that for years (with permission) and sold it at his lectures. You can find a video of Aldo performing it. I think you can get the instructions for that routine on Lybrary.com. I think Restless Colours is better motivated on why the deck changes colors.

Oct 2, 2018
Wow....thanks for all the help. I've looked at Restless colors and that looks about right. The only place it's available is Lybrary.com, so I guess that site is still legit? R1...you probably would not have mentioned them if things were otherwise. This will be my resolution for 2021. And learn the Elmsley count.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
So a little bit of research... Roy Walton's Restless Colors was first published in Epilogue, Issue 5, Page 40. It was based on Alex Elmsley's "Dazzle" which is in the Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, Volume 2. Nick Trost has a version called Razzle-Dazzle in Subtle Card Creations, Volume 2.

Restless Colors isn't exactly the routine performed, but it is close. Be forewarned, you will need cards from eight decks: e.g. two red decks, two blue decks, two green decks and two orange decks. I'll do some research and see if I can come up with other routines that use cards form different colored decks... so you can get some additional use out of those decks. The routine is great fun and I've gotten surprisingly great reactions from it (even from my wife... and that is saying something!).

As for lybrary.com, they are reputable. Everything they sell is either in public domain or they have permission of the author.

Oct 4, 2022
Re: Roy Walton's Restless Colors from thread https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/name-of-trick-s.58748/#!#post-511509
RealityOne wrote "Be forewarned, you will need cards from eight decks: e.g. two red decks, two blue decks, two green decks and two orange decks". Question 1: do they all have to have standard black faces? For instance, Bicycle's Turquoise and Spectrum decks, like Red and Blue 808s have normal color faces, but their purple deck has faces in violet (black cards) and purple (black cards). Question 2: Is this learnable at a beginner level?

Also, you didn't follow up on the comment about finding other uses for the different colored decks. I'll just volunteer an easy self-working one: for any card whose color is a multiple of three letters, like purple and turquoise, there is "Spell Purple" in Fulves, Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic p. 84. If the deck has a colored face like Bike's purple deck, you can split it and put the face on a regular back, as I've done, to good effect, for this trick. If it has a colored back, that wouldn't work but you *could* make a double backer and use it in its place. One can also use the extra back colors to gaff cards for a very nice oil and water effect that gets away from the humdrum red and blue standard colors -- I've also done this but am probably not allowed to name the trick due to the rules here.

Oct 4, 2022
This can be done with just four decks: a one-way force to get the faces; use their original backs on two (e.g. red), split two backs off of two cards from e.g. a blue 808 already on hand; then buy only two decks, e.g. one black, one gold, and split a couple backs off (e.g. use the double backers so you lose only one card and keep fully functional black and gold decks). Splitting to change back colors is super easy after you get Blake Vogt's excellent video here on T11.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results