Nature based effects

Sep 1, 2007
Hi guys, its been a long time. I was wondering if anyone could point me in some directions as to where I could find some nature based effects. Examples of what im referring to are tricks like "Creation" from Art of Astonishment as well as "Leaf", Paul Vigil's "Ladybug" and even something like Daniel Garcia's "Life". Something that can even have wonderment without magic if that makes any sense. Im willing to take any and all suggestions. I been really looking into things like manipulating nature. Little to no setup is also a plus, carrying a small gimmick isnt an issue though.

Thanks
Dave

Sep 1, 2007
ladybug by paul harris
100 bucks but so worth it

This is why you should read the entire post before skipping straight to the Reply button. I'm just going to repost the answer I gave at E so that this thread isn't just recommendations that were already named in the first post.

That sort of material can be difficult to track down because most magicians wouldn't know what to do with it if you handed it to them on a silver platter.

There's a certain Kenton Knepper manuscript that makes mention of such material. I also recommend reading Harlan Tarbell's essays in the Tarbell Course detailing the history of magic, superstition and religion and witchcraft. There's also numerous fantasy novels and movies to draw inspiration from. Pen and paper RPGs also tend to have a lot of material to mine from.

A lot can even be done with a simple cosmetic change. For example, when using mental magic to reveal a hidden object, use a naturally occurring puddle as a scrying mirror. Torn and restored effects work equally well on leaves, giving you an out for if someone wants a repeat performance of Paul Harris's Leaf. Bonus points if you also have Biokinesis and use it to temporarily turn your eyes a brilliant green. A false transfer provides an easy way to turn a rock into a chunk of clay. Same principles allow you rust a metal object with your touch or your breath.

Apr 17, 2013
There is a book from the 1880's called Sleight of Hand by Sachs. It is still around as a paperback. In it there is an effect where a slip of paper is torn or cut into the shape of a butterfly.It then takes off and flies above you hands. i'm sure it can be done with a leaf as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results