Need advice on buying a book

Oct 20, 2017
Belgium
Hey

Ive been doing magic for about 6 months now trying to learn from youtube wich I find very clumsily, so I have decided I am going to buy some books, I wanted to buy 2 books or even 3 just so I can cut the shipping costs. I have been reading through the forums and saw Royal road to card magic appear often and I think its a good place for me to start but for a second book I would like something where various palming techniques are explained also a few tips on the classic pass (although I think my classic pass is already pretty good its not on that Russian genius/xavior spades level). I would like to say I am at an intermediate level and I do like a challenge but because I learned from youtube and so at random I don't have all the basics down that I think I should.

TLDR wich book/books should I buy outside of royal road to card magic if I would like to get more information about the basics or palming or classic pass?

Kind regards

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The Royal Road will walk you through both.

If you want more in depth Card Magic, and a wider variety of palms, pick up Expert Card Technique by Jean Hugard and Fredrick Braue. It is essentially a sequel to the Royal Road, in the sense that it builds off of it.

Also, go through some forums about the classic pass, it might not be all that you think. You are welcome to learn it, and it is pretty powerful to know once you know how to use it right, but it is not this "holy grail" that people keep talking about. Also, definitely make sure you work through the basics first. Those are more important than the pass will ever be.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Card College Volumes 1 & 2. I think they are easier to learn from than Royal Road and Expert Card Technique.

Giobbi's explanation of the Classic Pass is, well, classic.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Card College Volumes 1 & 2. I think they are easier to learn from than Royal Road and Expert Card Technique.

Giobbi's explanation of the Classic Pass is, well, classic.
It is significantly easier to read, but also way more expensive lol (plus he already has the Royal Road)

Aug 15, 2017
Hey

Ive been doing magic for about 6 months now trying to learn from youtube wich I find very clumsily, so I have decided I am going to buy some books, I wanted to buy 2 books or even 3 just so I can cut the shipping costs. I have been reading through the forums and saw Royal road to card magic appear often and I think its a good place for me to start but for a second book I would like something where various palming techniques are explained also a few tips on the classic pass (although I think my classic pass is already pretty good its not on that Russian genius/xavior spades level). I would like to say I am at an intermediate level and I do like a challenge but because I learned from youtube and so at random I don't have all the basics down that I think I should.

TLDR wich book/books should I buy outside of royal road to card magic if I would like to get more information about the basics or palming or classic pass?

Kind regards
RRTCM is still the best, tho you may try its 'sequels' for the hardcore stuff. Others will direct better on this front.
Second, since you find learning on the Tube clumsy, am assuming you want to get to some more impact-ful stuff than the repeating stuff many channels have (if that made any sense). So you should get:-
1) Bobo's coin magic
2) Complete Idiot's Guide to Street Magic (very underrated, but believe me, it is awesome!).

Have you tried all other channels (other than Russian Genius, probably your fave?)

Try out Chris Ramsey (am assuming you knew his tho) and Jay Sankey (you probably are subscribed to him as well) 52kards (cool) Free Magic Live (PREVIOUS vids were better). Honestly speaking...Sankey is giving out some PRETTY DECENT and great stuff, which require a lot of practice AND are definitely worth it. So don't skip some of the hardcore sleight stuff. You can check out Disturb Reality for sleight tutorials also, which he does pretty well

Am not subscribed to him anymore, not interested, but still I feel like I owe him one. Why? Because it is thanx to him I learned years ago how to solve a rubik's cube. Believe me, best moment of my life.

Reactions: The Loophole

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
RRTCM is still the best, tho you may try its 'sequels' for the hardcore stuff.

Even though many of these are out of order I think Expert Cart Technique, The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (There are upwards of 1000 tricks in here, many are self working, many you will need Card College or Expert Card Technique to work out), and the Anneman or Scarne books would all work as "sequels".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results