Need help for crediting -_-

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Thinking of shooting a video of a sexy little routine of mine which combines multiple well known tricks/colour changes together into 1 flowing routine.

Question is, am I allowed to profit from this? Seeing as each of the "specific" sections itself are not mine, but when put together creates an effect which I like to think is origional...

Examples are 2 card monte, mixed in with some sort of colour change (paint brush change i think? think thats what daniel garcia called it) as well as some other things.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The safest rule is that if the originator of the sleight (or of the variation you are using) is still alive, to ask permission. For the Paintbrush Change, it is credited to Dai Vernon and Stanley Collins, both of whom have passed away. So you wouldn't need to ask permission to teach that sleight.

As for whether the routine itself is original, that is a much more difficult research project.

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
It depends what you are teaching. If you were to include/teach something that is being sold by someone like Twitch, then you would have to ask the creator or teacher. I would recommend trying to create your own moves.

Jun 22, 2011
Chicago
Hey there!
Okay, are you planning on releasing this on the Wire? If so, you can't really teach moves that you didn't create. It's a rule of thumb. What you can do, is show a technique of using these moves, (you can refer to them, and give sources that teaches them) for a bigger picture. Or you can contact the creators themselves and get permission to teach them, (most likely not gonna happen, but you never know). So I hope this helps, and I know how tricky it can get when claiming your own routine with other people's moves. And what the heck, ask JB himself. He's more than happy to help!
Thanks for reading,
John

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I would recommend trying to create your own moves.

Yep, don't bother working through RRTCM, EATCT, ECT, Card Control, LePaul, Mentzer, Hamman, Vernon, Jennings, Bannon, Gusteferro or Card College for that matter. And don't bother reading that book by that Tarbell guy either. It's a complete waste of your time -- you can come up with all those sleights and ideas just as easily on your own.

you can't really teach moves that you didn't create. It's a rule of thumb.

No, that is not the rule of thumb. You can teach moves and even routines by others under two conditions -- they are dead or you get permission. Heck, most of the stuff released today is an adaptation of an old method anyway.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Legally you can teach any move you wish. It is impossible to copyright a sleight and routines with magic or any other form entertainment you can however copyright scripts.

With that being said, it is ethical to ask all required permissions and give as much credit as possible.

Feb 4, 2008
On this topic...anyone able to list some old deck vanishes? I'm trying to get as far back as I can. furthest back I have in my literature is on "Expert Card Technique." Obviously Panic, but I recall Paul Harris had a good one as well but I can't member the name. Toppits and lapping are so old I don't know if they are creditable? Any one have some answers to this?
Thanks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't have a detailed history. Just wanted to say that Paul Harris' bit is, I believe, simply called the "Paul Harris Vanishing Deck".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results