Need help

Jun 2, 2008
antioch Ca U.S.A
OK I have bought books, dvds and cards. I have practiced for hours a day and I have been in magic for about 2-3 years now. Okay my problem is this. I would like to start creating my own effects, but I kinda don't know how. Like I don't know where to start. If you could give me ideas (not like what you are doing) but on how to get MY mind running. I don't want you to tell me what YOU are working on I merely wanna know what steps you took to get the idea into your head. I don't know what to do but maybe somthing like you look at a window and are like hey I wanna put a card through a window. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't.
Thanks

Usually, I've found that if you sit down to create something right on the spot, you don't really get what you are looking for. Ideas come to my mind sometimes, say, when I'm handling a deck of cards and just a thought pops into my head. Other times I get ideas from seeing something happen in everyday life. I believe everyone has their own pace and their own methods. You just have to find what works for you. Maybe you need to step away from the mindset of "I want to create and effect right now." Then get in the mindset of "I'll see what happens as time goes on." I know that probably doesn't sound great, but I think that might help. Be open to ideas from now on since you are wanting to create.

Feb 4, 2008
If you browse through the penguin blog you will find that they have been doing lots of interviews lately with various effect creators. There is some good insite in those interviews. What jumps to mind is one from Tom Stone where he mentions that he keeps a notebook and writes down every crazy idea he has.

he mentions that he keeps a notebook and writes down every crazy idea he has.

Glad you brought that up, I forgot to mention that. I keep a small pocket notebook close by me. Whenever something comes to mind I write it down... I've got stuff ranging from a method of doing something to just crazy out of no where ideas that I have no idea how to make work. lol So a notebook might help you. I'm gonna go check out those videos. Thanks eostresh.

I like the notebook idea and I will add that you should write down anything you would think would look cool or have a good premise. Sit down with a deck of card, or whatever else, write down ideas, and then comeback to them at a different time. Soon you'll have too many ideas!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I like to think of what would look magical or what I would want to make possible and then play with it until I find a method that makes it work.

Also, I remember hearing that you have to find things that happen that most people don't notice. An example would be something like "if you use (blank) and you do (blank) then that makes (blank) happen." Then, you could use this little secret as a built in method and create an effect around it.

I hope that makes sense and I hope I have helped in some way.

Nov 13, 2010
Glendora, CA
I've e-mailed Aaron Fisher about this subject a while back. His best advice was to study all the classic plots. He recommended to me a book called The Stars of Magic. He said once you've studied the classics, you have a good backbone into the creativity of creating your own effects. It's all about studying the greats and seeing their way of thinking..

Don't mean to self advertise here but my PDF, Ideas, was written for people like you in mind.

But take inspiration from the world around you. Look at how something works and think, how can this be used in magic? Or think of an impossible idea and brain storm ways of doing that effect.

There is no right or wrong way, just the way that works best for you.

J.

Oh!

I meant to post this earlier, but Daniel Garcia posted this on Facebook yesterday. I thought it would be a good quote to share here.

He said, "If you want to learn to be creative, stop thinking about magic."

I totally agree. Just thought I'd share that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results