Need Inspiration

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
Hey Guys ive been doing magic for a little a while and I feel like I am not inspired any more. I am not quitting magic and Im going to continue magic. I just feel like now that I know some of the secrets of magic it is just not as fun any more. Nothing really fools the crap out of me. If any of you guys have a video or any thing that is just insane it would be a great help.

Hmm...when I'm normally bored with magic, I tend to go to a lecture and that definitely helps to rejuvenate my interest in magic.

There is a Justin Miller lecture coming up on March 12 in Owing Mills, MD. It's at THE MAGIC WAREHOUSE. I've already reserved my seats; should be a blast! :)

J

J:G

(word count) oh wait.....theres no words.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J:G

and i would recomend getting advocate, or find some footage of it so you can be amazed

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Having a magic buddy really helps with this. I have a friend who is also a magician. We dont meet too often but when we do, it fun to trade secrets and concepts. I've learned lots of cool tricks and ideas that fooled the crap outta me from my friend.

D

Deleted member 2755

http://cardstarlifestyle.com/ ;)I'd also pick up Art of Astonishments (assuming you don't have it). I've been reading through them and honestly its been the only magic series I've been recommending for a while now. Get the books (or at least 1 of them to start) and read through those. That will inspire you to continue performing. If it doesn't.... well.... it should. ;)

-Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 23, 2007
NC
I would say dont focus on yourself being fooled as inspiration but instead on your connection with your specs and the emotions you can bring out of them. Sometimes that is what motivates me the most.
I think you have to find what works for you as its different strokes for different folks.

when i start to feel like that, i just read something, not something of magic, and i watch some movies, and play some games, like 2 days, i take a time from magic, and then, i look for magic performances, good ones, the performances that i like, in my case Penn and Teller, The virts, D&D, and DG, this ones cheer me up :p.

then i start to re-reading my magic books (chapters i like), then watching some of my dvds, and then i just start thinking why i start into magic, i remember why and i remember my performances, the reactions of my spectators, and so, and that cheer me up a lot. and then i just spend 9-10 or even more months like crazy/hyper/kid practicing, performing, watching, creating, and more.

This is my way, and maybe for you is different, and you may need to find ur own way to cheer you up.

peace.

* another think i do is draw/design gaffs/backs/etc that help me, and even that makes me create some new effects/routines (even they r just thoughts, this help me).

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
You shouldnt look for inspiration in your own confusion.
I alway feel "inspired" when I see a perfect performer or see a routine that is designed so well that you just look at it in awe.
For "inspiration" I suggest:
-Read through the Art of Astonishment. There so much stuff inside that you havent seen before.
-Read Joshua Jay's book. Its called Talk About tricks. A damn good read.
-Watch John Archer perform somethings. Hes awesome...
-Watch Derren Brown's Shows.
-Go to a lecture.
-Go to a jam/ session.
-Watch Rick Merrill Perform.
-Go online and "Window Shop". Write down everything you would like to have if money was not an issue.
-Have an online Webcam jam.

Aug 18, 2008
watch MINDFREAKKKK MINDFREAKKK!

no

but anyways
I always watch some lance burton stage magic on youtube, it will change your life

Jan 18, 2009
My best and only offer is to take some of your hardest hitting materials and do some real street magic, no cameras or buddies, just you, your cards, and the spectators. In my honest opinion that will always get you feeling a bit better, seeing those reactions on random peoples faces makes it so worthwhile.

Derren Brown is the next thing but if you really are getting bored then watching someone else doing something amazing isn't the best course of action. Go out and surprise some people and if you don't do that stuff then..... you can always try. When your smiling at how easy it was and the people are just having their minds blown away then come back and write a post.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results