Needle Swallowing

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Can someone please give me a good DVD or book to learn needle swallowing, also, is it as dangerous as it looks, or is it just the illusion of danger like in Wayne houchins CONTROL.

what other awesome stage tricks are there, that are not to expensive?

Can someone please give me a good DVD or book to learn needle swallowing, also, is it as dangerous as it looks, or is it just the illusion of danger like in Wayne houchins CONTROL.

Swallowing razorblades, needle through arm, russian roulette, bullet catch... there's a ton of "geek style" stage effects out there.

There is a needle swallowing illusion and then there's real geek stunts (ala, Swami Mantra).

C

Sep 1, 2007

Very soon there will be a release from Mental Playground Productions of a razor blade swallowing routine, mainly for the stage, but can be done close-up as well.

It will include a full script AND custom soundtrack for use on stage. With this DVD/Download, and the cost of only a few dollars, you will have a full stage routine.

Keep an eye out for this. Our official website will launch shortly, and this will be on it.

Brian Rodgers
Mental Playground Productions

Last edited by a moderator:
Very soon there will be a release from Mental Playground Productions of a razor blade swallowing routine, mainly for the stage, but can be done close-up as well.

It will include a full script AND custom soundtrack for use on stage. With this DVD/download, and the cost of only a few dollars, you will have a full stage routine.

Keep an eye out for this. Our official website will launch shortly, and this will be on it.

Brian Rodgers
Mental Playground Productions

As I said earlier, Brian.. SOLD ;)

As for the needle swallowing, here is a text that has been cited as a great reference, Device and Illusion: http://www.qualitymagicbooks.com/?nd=full&key=1874

A routine can also be found in Vol. 4 of Tarbell.

C

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
There is a routine out there somewhere called "Razor Shots." I read the review in Magic Magazine. I found the set somewhere but can't seem to remember. It's completely safe from what I read. The routine is you put a razor blade in your mouth and take a shot to of tequila to wash it down, complete with lemon and dash of salt. After swallowing 5 blades you go to floss your teeth and accidentally choke on the floss and then pull out the floss with the blades threaded onto the floss.

From what i remember it was about 109 bucks.

Hope that helps.

There are a few ways to do needles and razors. None of them are really "safe". All carry with them a degree of danger, some more than others.

Personally, as someone who's performed Geek style effects I can say that learning the geek version over learning the magician gaffs afford with them a greater shock and appeal value with the marks. Or so it is my opinion at the least.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
As Draven said above, I don't know any needle or razorblade swallows where the blades don't really go in your mouth.

However, a lot of the sources you could learn from (Tomas Medina's Geek Magic is a cool DVD, though Micheal Paul's Urban Legend is great - I think that's the DVD Brian mentioned, but you can get it as an e-book currently) teach you how to treat the blades to make it abit safer. There's always the element of danger, but I think it allows for a more real performance that way :)

The 2 sources I mentioned above are both very good, Micheal's ebook is very comprehensive and comes with the music to do the routine to and the full script. I really think that it's one of the best ebooks I've picked up!

Geek Magic is also cool, teaches you some *ahem* interesting stuff like drinking spit... and some good stuff like razorblades, eating glass and swallowing balloons - It's also very "troma" (for those b-movie fans out there!) in it's entertainment value!

D.

Sep 1, 2007
From what i remember it was about 109 bucks.

Hope that helps.

The DVD I mentioned will cost well below that, around the cost of a standard effect/routine DVD. No complex mechanisms or expensive gimmicks. More bang for your buck!

...Micheal Paul's Urban Legend is great - I think that's the DVD Brian mentioned, but you can get it as an e-book currently) teach you how to treat the blades to make it abit safer.

The 2 sources I mentioned above are both very good, Micheal's ebook is very comprehensive and comes with the music to do the routine to and the full script. I really think that it's one of the best ebooks I've picked up!

D.

Yes, that is the one! It is available now as a PDF. Alot of people have said they would like to see it on video, to better understand the timing and cues when working with the music, and script.

This allows just that. Shot in high definition, you will get razor sharp instruction of this great routine from Michael Paul.

Jun 11, 2008
Sweet man, i'm working on the same thing,
Tarbell Course in Magic vol. 4 has both needle, and razor blade swallowing,
plus alot of other material that you can have fun with.

Sep 1, 2007
Bizzaro has a dvd out that covers his razor blade swalloing routine. Can't remember the name. I'm thinking its called Helter Skelter, but I may be wrong.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results