Neuro-Linguistic Programming - NLP

Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
I think that if you are a begginer get Sleight of Mind by Ian Harling and Martin Nyrup. It takes all the info from Nlp that is important to magic and mentalism and gives you all the info for magic that way you dont have to read an nlp book and take out the info thsat is useful. The book tells you how to read peoples eyes and behaviour, how to understand what way your spectator thinks, how to do suggestion and more. This book is GREAT for begginers. If you want more detailed info just pm me. I also have more recommendations if you want but not as good as this one for a begginer.

What do you think of the book?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
NLP isn't what you think it is. It's not going to make you into something like Derren Brown. Seeing has how he mainly uses basic Mentalism techniques and just covers them up to make his audience feel smart by saying it's NLP or Psychology.

Tho he did spend a few years studying it and was a Hypnotist for awhile. Tho that's something that is completely different.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Mat, that was the point. Very clever D.

But yes - if you really want to start NLP seriously... Well, there are skeptics, and there are practitioners, so to make up your own mind, start with Bandler and Grinder - The Structure of Magic 1 & 2.

My advice for learning NLP is the same as with psychological forces - because of performers like Derren, most people have a grossly inadequate expectation/picture of what NLP actually is. So you have to understand what you're learning, before you can learn. Therefore, start with the basics. And avoid trying to be Derren. Derren doesn't use NLP - he just reads Annemann, and creates patter that fools magicians. If you want to be like Derren, just read PME, Jinx, and Corinda.

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
As someone who has studied NLP for years (mostly for self development), I can honestly say there is very little in that particular field of psychology that would prove useful to a magician and/or mentalist. I feel a lot of the guys in this community jump into Neuro-Linguistic Programming without knowing what they're getting themselves into... and, likewise, become dismayed when it's not what they hoped for.

That said, things like eye accessing cues, body language and tonality, mirroring, anchoring, and various other NLP techniques aid in building rapport - which would obviously be helpful to any performer, therapist, businessman, or sociable person in general.

If you're interested in seriously learning NLP to build a stronger and deeper connection with your audience during performance (i.e., purely to improve your social dynamics), Joseph O'Connor's Introducing NLP is a good starting point.

Note that it's not an easy road to follow - and one you'll likely give up on. ;)
If you want to use it like Derren you should look into this book or this one.
I couldn't agree more.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
That said, things like eye accessing cues, body language and tonality, mirroring, anchoring, and various other NLP techniques aid in building rapport - which would obviously be helpful to any performer, therapist, businessman, or sociable person in general.

Bingo, Jon. Well said. Rapport is a very undervalued and understudied aspect of magic and mentalism. Know what you're studying - NLP will not help you to influence people or suggest someone select the queen of diamonds. It's value in magic is rapport. If you get rapport, your performances will be good. If you don't, they'll fail. Simple as that.

You basically said everything I was trying to say, except better, so I'll leave it at that.

Aug 2, 2009
Shrewsbury, UK
NLP for dummies was quite interesting, give that a go if you can find it, but start with stuff by Bandler & Co if you can. If you are looking for Derren Brown style effects i'm afraid that may take quite a bit more practice ^^

sevryn

Banned
Oct 31, 2009
Of course Bandler is the #1 place to look, but don't forget about books like "Secrets of The Amazing Kreskin" where he utilizes leading and pacing as well as anchoring in various forms. Another good one is "Mind Control Language Patters" which can be found on amazon.

noddingsmile.gif

Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
NLP for dummies was quite interesting, give that a go if you can find it, but start with stuff by Bandler & Co if you can. If you are looking for Derren Brown style effects i'm afraid that may take quite a bit more practice ^^

I didnt like nlp for dummies as I felt it became a chore to remove the useful stuff from a book mostly of stuff hat couldnt be applied to magic.

Sep 10, 2007
Co.Dublin in Ireland
As someone who has studied NLP for years (mostly for self development), I can honestly say there is very little in that particular field of psychology that would prove useful to a magician and/or mentalist.

That is why I suggested Sleight of Mind. It takes all the useful stuff and shows you how to use it for magic and creating effects.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

Again, Derren Brown doesn't use NLP or anything in his stuff. He just covers it up by saying he does, thus fooling his audience's and fooling Magicians. He does know a lot about the subject and just about everything else he talks about. But really, if you are going to say you used this or that. You better know what you are talking about.

If you really want to pull off what Derren brown does, I'd simply suggest you learn basic mentalism. Because there are a ton of Mentalism effects out there that do pretty much the same thing Derren Brown pulls off.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Derren does not directly say he uses NLP he mentions things that he looks for that are similar or the same as NLP. He also talks about an interest in it but talks about its effectiveness is quite limited.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results