New Hot Shot Cut Method?

Sep 1, 2007
I think the hotshot cut is very effective, but I started doing a scissor cut instead and then pushing off the selected card and spinning it out. I personally think it looks better.

Sep 1, 2007
its easier, but for me is more elegant the original way..

I just like how it looks like the deck is splitting open and then spitting out a card. The actual way looks more complex, but (I think) less visual. That's just me though...

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
I believe this is what Dante King does, rather than a snow-shoe cut.
Jonas is right.

Also, there are practically infinite methods of getting a card into the hot shot position. You could do it from a thumb cut, vertical spin cut, even a sybil (see daniel madison)... almost anything.

Sep 1, 2007
yeah I just do the deck division that's the first half of the charlier cut, then push it out with my thumb and catch it to rotate into position . the simplest fastest way to get a card ready to shoot.

another thing thats really cool is to pull like 5 cards out of the deck but only rotate to full angle the one you want, then it's like "pre-loaded" you can fire off a couple rounds in quick succession.

Guys, I think it's an important thing to remember with the hotshot cut, is not to make it obvious. What I mean, is the audience shouldn't notice that the card was originally on the bottom. With the original method, which involves extra moves, finger-repositiong, etc. the cut looks much more like the card came out from the middle of the deck - just random cutting. With a scissor cut, you can tell immediately what just happened.

As for the top shot: I'm not sure I'm allowed to write this, delete it if it's exposure. Your ring and middle doesn't do anything, they just get out the way. The pinky is what doing the hard work, you have to train that finger to do this shot. It's not easy.

Jul 23, 2007
New York, NY
Guys, I think it's an important thing to remember with the hotshot cut, is not to make it obvious. What I mean, is the audience shouldn't notice that the card was originally on the bottom. With the original method, which involves extra moves, finger-repositiong, etc. the cut looks much more like the card came out from the middle of the deck - just random cutting. With a scissor cut, you can tell immediately what just happened.

As for the top shot: I'm not sure I'm allowed to write this, delete it if it's exposure. Your ring and middle doesn't do anything, they just get out the way. The pinky is what doing the hard work, you have to train that finger to do this shot. It's not easy.

Good point about not making it obvious, though in cardistry it doesn't always matter. You can focus on cardistry without having a focus on magical handling. It's equally possible to present any sort of "hot shot-style cut" showing full well what you're doing just because it's so freaking cool, like any other flourish.

I think top shot talk could be seperated into a different thread. Otherwise it might get lost in this one.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam

I dont think this point is valid what so ever unlike Richard, If u use hot shot cut as a production as that is the setting u are describing, Before u do that u already pretend to lose the card somewhere in the deck and did some kind of card control to get the card in to the proper position for your hotshot which is most likely bottom. Then by producing the card beeing the what ever selected card, the audience will simply convince themselves that u shot that card out from the middle of the package where they believe where the card was. side note: seriously layman are not capable of following any cut unless they are totally focussed on your hands and shut down all the other senses.

If they were able to follow the card movement entirely till the hotshot cut, u prolly need to work on your card control first than the Cut itself that u use for hotshot.

And as Richard mentioned in Cardistry it really doesnt matter how obvious it is as the emphasize lies on the artistic part of the move other than the magical part.

Probably best to stick with the original Daryl method anyway. In a routine you might get confused and accidentally bring out the card for a hotshot cut when you didn't mean to if you use some other cut like vertical spin, thumb cut, or scissor cut(which is what Dante King uses and calls the stretch cut, but it's really the scissor cut.) Your muscle memory will make it easier for hotshots to come out naturally rather than forcing your hands to tack on the added action of sliding the card out and launching. Besides it is pretty minor to change the hotshot method most people won't notice or remember especially after you launch the thing into the air.

I dont think this point is valid what so ever unlike Richard, If u use hot shot cut as a production as that is the setting u are describing, Before u do that u already pretend to lose the card somewhere in the deck and did some kind of card control to get the card in to the proper position for your hotshot which is most likely bottom. Then by producing the card beeing the what ever selected card, the audience will simply convince themselves that u shot that card out from the middle of the package where they believe where the card was. side note: seriously layman are not capable of following any cut unless they are totally focussed on your hands and shut down all the other senses.

If they were able to follow the card movement entirely till the hotshot cut, u prolly need to work on your card control first than the Cut itself that u use for hotshot.

And as Richard mentioned in Cardistry it really doesnt matter how obvious it is as the emphasize lies on the artistic part of the move other than the magical part.

Yeah I didn't mention that I was talking about magic.......I forgot that people do this cut as a flourish, too. Well, you are right, every cut should be so fast that people could not follow. But with a scissor cut I think it's too obvious. There is just one movement, and you are in position already. I prefer Daryl's method.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results