New "Mandolin" deck for magicians and gaffs.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for bringing this up JDEN.

In short, I don't buy it.

It should be noted though that this was developed specifically for magicians and the project was headed by Paul Harris in conjunction with guys like Richard Turner and Garrett Thomas.

A couple of things, briefly...

a) The USPCC didn't want to modify their Rider Back design... Hence they stopped allowing gaffs to be produced under the Rider Back design... So, they decide instead to, wait for it... Modify their Rider Back design! So that all the magicians of the world can rejoice and... Modify their Mandolin Back design! The whole thing seems a little absurd to me, not least of all because the modifications are fairly minor...

b) The reason Bikes are so popular: they're cheap and common. How many stores will stock a deck basically made for magicians, for cheap? And even if the design has been changed only a little, it takes away the commonness of using Rider Backs (incidentally, I don't actually mind personally, but just throwing this out there...).

However, to throw this out there, too...

c) I've never believed in the argument that using decks different from the standard (Rider backs) created suspicion. It depends. A 12 year old using a "cool" black deck would look stupid, and may arouse suspicion. Someone with perhaps a Goth look would be right at home with those. So, having said that - any outlet for gaffs is good, right? If it floats your boat...

So all in all... Don't really care for them either way. See what happens, not fussed. They may catch on, they may not. Phoenix decks may catch on for all we know.

One final thought...

d) The Ultra Mental (aka Invisible) Deck, etc., are being produced in Mandolins as well, apparently - but these do not require any modification of the backs at all...

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have mixed thoughts on this. There is already a Phoenix deck that came out awhile back that is marked and looks close to Bikes but this looks a bit closer to standard Bikes but it has a Phoenix on the backs.

Personally if I were going to let a spectator keep a souvenir card...eventually they are going to look at it long enough and see that the card is different and suspicion will be aroused.

I guess I am confused...are these cards going to mainstreamed to the public yet magicians will have access to them and gaffs as well or are these Mandolins only available to magicians?

I personally feel like the difference can be noticed after looking at the card for a short period of time, which does make giving out souvenir cards harder to do, but this isn't the worst idea I've ever seen. It does frustrate me however, that we have to undergo changes.

But it also is strange because the Ultragaff and standard red and blue gaff decks still have the rider back design on them. So it is peculiar that they would still change the back design for new gaffs when they are still producing these other ones.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
reverhart,

It is my understanding that they are created for magicians. I don't know whether they'll be carried by mainstream stores or not. But as noted, Paul Harris headed the project, in association with other magicians, so this is definitely a magi-oriented project. Either way, it's almost certain they'll be more expensive than Bikes, it looks like...

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I guess I am confused...are these cards going to mainstreamed to the public yet magicians will have access to them and gaffs as well or are these Mandolins only available to magicians?

These were created by Murphy's and Paul Harris and sold through Murphy's and Paul Harris - not mainstream retailers or the general public.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I was told that the USPCC will still be making gaffs, blanks, etc. of standard bikes but they will only do it for HUGE quantities and sell to big companies. Not sure how valid the info is though. I hate word of mouth...ha ha.

Sep 20, 2009
They are Ugly... plain and simple, and will probably cost twice the price of 808's

i've been saying this, i wish someone would make a deck for magicians, affordable, pre-marked, handles great, good design etc etc

May 31, 2008
I would think it would be more cost-effective to just allow people to modify Rider Backs, then again, what do I know? I actually prefer the look of these to Rider Backs, but I rarely use gaffs except for Twilight Angels, so I probably won't buy them.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
They are Ugly... plain and simple, and will probably cost twice the price of 808's

i've been saying this, i wish someone would make a deck for magicians, affordable, pre-marked, handles great, good design etc etc

I'm not in the habit of marketing, but check out the Phoenix deck. it may or may not suit your fancy.

It's relatively cheap (US $3/deck from memory), is loosely based off the Bike design, designed by magicians for magicians, and there's a marked version. Haven't actually tried them though so can't say for sure.

Sep 20, 2009
I'm not in the habit of marketing, but check out the Phoenix deck. it may or may not suit your fancy.

It's relatively cheap (US $3/deck from memory), is loosely based off the Bike design, designed by magicians for magicians, and there's a marked version. Haven't actually tried them though so can't say for sure.

yes mate, i've talked to him many times, the regular deck is a good price. but the marked deck is 20+shipping...

now as a working professional, i use my card every day, if i'm not at the castle working i'm doing events, parties. even walk around. every day i'm using my cards. i would have to buy a deck every 3-4 months. at 20+shipping? thats not affordable to anyone really

Those backs do look kind of cute. I can get behind any design that features butterflies. However, I'm pretty sure that 'cute' is not the effect most people would be going for. I think this design is a mistake from a marketing point of view really. The vast, vast majority of magicians are male, and this back does not seem to fit into the prevalent aesthetic associated with the art. I would honestly go for a neutral, geometrical design rather than what looks so obviously like a knockoff. Also, a modified Tally Ho or similar design would not be nearly as easy to spot because it is a lot harder to commit geometrical and floral designs to memory than depictions of objects we can generalise about. It arouses suspicion not by being different, but by looking similar enough for someone to deduce that it is a knockoff and start suspecting it. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The problem is that the eating could be very, very unpleasant and possibly revealing. Ugh.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I noticed the differences quickly and prefer the 808's. The standard gaffs (blanks, doubles...etc) don't alter the back design, which is what the issue was all about, so they will continue to produce standard gaffs for magic dealers to sell.

I don't use enough gaffs to worry about needing to switch, and have been using cards less and less throughout my sets.

On a slight side note:any magician serious about using a marked deck (raises hand) shouldn't mind taking 20 minutes (I know you have 20 minutes...) to mark each new deck they use (takes less time with practice) or even taking an hour one night to mark 3-4 decks for use.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results