New name for all this!

Sep 1, 2007
Damnit! I have become confused by all of the different names for the same damn artform! Therefore (yes, therefore) I am creating an all encompassing name for this...

Let's see...

I'll just combine:

Flourishing
XCM
Cardistry
Decknique

Alright. The new name is "Flxisqueshcmdiseck!" From now on, everybody call it that. Welcome to the new Flxisqueshcmdiseck forums. What's your favorite Flxisqueshcmdiseck trick?

Any moment, Israeli commandos are going to bust into my house and kill me.
Why Israelis you ask? Israelis are badass. That's why.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not sure what this "card manipulation" stuff is. I think you mean to say "Flxisqueshcmdiseck." But it's ok. I forgive you.

The Israeli commandos forgive you also.

Sep 2, 2007
Decknique is not a term for flourishing its a website lol.

Check it out.

www.decknique.net

I use flourishing because its neutral
and cardistry because thats kinda what I side on.

I don't use XCM because I always get made fun of when I say it to laymen.

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Decknique is not a term for flourishing its a website lol.

Check it out.

www.decknique.net

I use flourishing because its neutral
and cardistry because thats kinda what I side on.

I don't use XCM because I always get made fun of when I say it to laymen.

First off, flourishing is FAR from neutral. Absolutely nothing about it implies that it could encompass magic as well.

Secondly, I believe it was quite clear in the original post that this was not meant to be taken so seriously.

Thirdly, your laymen are correct, you deserve to be made fun of for using the term "XCM" in front of them :p

Sep 29, 2007
israelis are badass? i bet that all israelis flourishers can take you in a flourish battle one by one including me. not all israelis blieve in their god and not all israelis has that stupid clothes we are normal people just like you but the only different is that we speak hebrew. israel and america live in peace and we are helping you in your war at irak i know this is not the place to talk about this stuff but I just wanted to say that we can use this forum just like you and i hope we will combine here. thankes- roy.

Sep 1, 2007
israelis are badass? i bet that all israelis flourishers can take you in a flourish battle one by one including me. not all israelis blieve in their god and not all israelis has that stupid clothes we are normal people just like you but the only different is that we speak hebrew. israel and america live in peace and we are helping you in your war at irak i know this is not the place to talk about this stuff but I just wanted to say that we can use this forum just like you and i hope we will combine here. thankes- roy.

Yes, I know. I've been to Israel many times. You know where Kibbutz Tzuba is?

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
I say XCM to laymen because you can't figure out what it means just by hearing the name.

If you'd like to learn more, go to www.WhatIsFlxisqueshcmdiseck.com next Monday at midnight.

This would be exactly why I would suggest you DON'T use terms like XCM with Laymen. Unless you are doing it specifically to call attention to the TERM itself, and follow with an explanation.

In the case of XCM, this would just be another reason NOT to use it. Explaining what it stands for would likely get you laughed at. Maybe not to your face, mind you.

Unless you are doing it entirely for the absurdity of it, just remember, you might as well say extreme stamp collecting. In the audiences mind, extreme has connotations of anything BUT playing cards and just sounds laughable being associated with them.

Sep 1, 2007
See if you can spot the hidden clue for www.WhatIsFlxisqueshcmdiseck.com in the following free-form poem:

Kevin Sweeney was a yonug lad of ten, living
In East Germany (pre 1989). He loved cards and magic
So very very much!
Such Love he had!

Mr. Sweeney (Kevin's Dad) said:
You, my son, shall not play with cards

As the East German Government shall repremand you!
So young Kevin never played with cards ever again.
So it was, and is.

HINT: It's an acrostic!

Look at the terminology and really really look at it. Look at it connotation and well as the denotation to laymen.

Cardistry, stems from two words.

card - usually a rectangular piece of paper stiff and thin for various uses
artistry - artistic workmanship and quality

I have a problem with this term and this is simply linguistic. The term itself can be confused with another you don't say it right and in casual language may require you to REPEAT it. What did you say? Cartistry? You like to play with carts? Car Artistry? You're a car artist?

Flourishing/Flourisher

flourish - to be successful; to prosper, to be in the height of one's prime

Now this one is weird, cause how many everyday people who've slept through each of their English classes going to know what this word means. Kind of sounds like "flower" or "florist" but you are hardly a person to be messing with flowers, unless it's Valentine's day. Plus personally it sounds gay. Sorry that's just me.

"ECKS SEE EM"

Now this acronym, by itself isn't going to define anything either. XCM? Is that a cult? A game? A reality show? What the hell? NEVER EVER USE THIS for laymen.

Xtreme Card Manipulation

extreme - of a character or kind farthest removed from the ordinary or average; utmost or exceedingly great in degree
manipulation - to handle, manage, or use, esp. with skill, in some process of treatment or performance

Actually saying this actually is good for building associations. There are no foreign terms oh anything that needs defining. About it being death defying or you can tack on extreme to anything. Well, think of it this way, if they think death defying at least their thinking in the direction of something out of the norm and definitely something they've never seen before. Even if the word extreme is too tacky or cliche, "card manipulation" gets the job just fine.

For my standpoint just plain "card shark" is fine to label yourself as. People get that and there is no question.

This would be exactly why I would suggest you DON'T use terms like XCM with Laymen. Unless you are doing it specifically to call attention to the TERM itself, and follow with an explanation.

In the case of XCM, this would just be another reason NOT to use it. Explaining what it stands for would likely get you laughed at. Maybe not to your face, mind you.

Unless you are doing it entirely for the absurdity of it, just remember, you might as well say extreme stamp collecting. In the audiences mind, extreme has connotations of anything BUT playing cards and just sounds laughable being associated with them.

Is it laughable that magicians still use playing cards when they're said to have magical powers? "I'm such a skilled magician I still use playing cards to demonstrate my awesome magical talent!" Point is their both stupid. But the only reason XCM is a great term within the community is the division. To create it's own artform completely devoid of magic entirely. So one day someone can completely bypass the lesson on the double lift and mechanics grip and go straight for the fanning and one-handed cuts. May sound laughable now. But just because something sounds stupid now doesn't mean it won't have meaning for the future.

The "White House" was just a slang for the presidential housing in Washington D.C. hundreds of years ago used by everyday people. Look at the term today, it's completely 100% associated with the same building and reporters, politicians, and everyone else uses "white house."

Even more recent example, The Nintendo Wii. Sure everyone was firing their penis and weewee jokes when the annoucement was made. But you sure don't hear those now do we. It was a successful platform that brought a new view on gaming and continues as such even if it did have a questionable and laughable name people will still pay for it and enjoy it regardless of the person who gave the name.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Flourishing/Flourisher

flourish - to be successful; to prosper, to be in the height of one's prime

Now this one is weird, cause how many everyday people who've slept through each of their English classes going to know what this word means. Kind of sounds like "flower" or "florist" but you are hardly a person to be messing with flowers, unless it's Valentine's day. Plus personally it sounds gay. Sorry that's just me.

Your definition is incorrect, used in this way the definition is:

Flourish (noun): a dramatic body movement that attracts attention, e.g. a sweep of the hand

Or the verb form: to wave something in a dramatic way that draws attention to it

As for people not knowing what it means. It's a fairly common word, especially in a GREAT number of books, "he picked up the remote with a flourish", "she directed the orchestra in a flourishy way", etc.

Actually saying this actually is good for building associations. There are no foreign terms oh anything that needs defining. About it being death defying or you can tack on extreme to anything. Well, think of it this way, if they think death defying at least their thinking in the direction of something out of the norm and definitely something they've never seen before. Even if the word extreme is too tacky or cliche, "card manipulation" gets the job just fine.

For my standpoint just plain "card shark" is fine to label yourself as. People get that and there is no question.

But there is a chance that people will think the term is totally ridiculous, and not take you seriously. Why bother risking that when you can use a term like "card shark", as you mentioned, which is well understood by laymen. I also like "card manipulation".

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
UEZ made some good points near the end there.

Basically, the only thing "cardistry" has going for it Richard's opinion and whomever chooses to follow it. who lets face it has done a lot to advance the term, with his own website, and later when his website got bought, onto theory 11.

But "XCM" while it gets the same polarizing opinions, ACTUALLY HAS SOME PRODUCTS released under de'vos work, so when years have passed, and all the fanboys that argue about this crap are bored with Flxisqueshcmdiseck and have moved onto other hobbies, someone new will come along and look for something to buy... he will ONLY see XCM products, so XCM is the name for it, like it or not!

if yall want Flxisqueshcmdiseck or Cardistry or any other arbitrary new favorite term, yall will have to actually RELEASE SOMETHING with that name on it!!!! and hope that more people buy it than are already buying stuff that's branded XCM!!!

Your definition is incorrect, used in this way the definition is:

Flourish (noun): a dramatic body movement that attracts attention, e.g. a sweep of the hand

Or the verb form: to wave something in a dramatic way that draws attention to it

As for people not knowing what it means. It's a fairly common word, especially in a GREAT number of books, "he picked up the remote with a flourish", "she directed the orchestra in a flourishy way", etc.

But there is a chance that people will think the term is totally ridiculous, and not take you seriously. Why bother risking that when you can use a term like "card shark", as you mentioned, which is well understood by laymen. I also like "card manipulation".

-Vince

I really don't see it that way, sure it will pop up in books sometimes, but still kind of iffy depending on the people you deal with.

I pulled the definition for flourish off of dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flourish

But I applied a definition that would make most sense in everyday language, but you are correct that is one of the definitions of flourish.

Being ridiculed for terminology? Well in that case whatever you call it, whatever your providing should overshadow that anyway, and throw couple overhead springs to shut them up or something. I highly doubt people will try to ridicule you if you have the skills to back it up at least not in public. Besides stand behind your words, seriously. Kind of spineless to let some ridicule stop you from using a sensible name for what you do.

Sep 1, 2007
Here's another www.WhatIsFlxisqueshcmdiseck.com hidden clue/poem!

Is it time to show

Everyone in the palace of Narglaria
A deck of cards? Perhaps it is
Too soon for them to see true

Beauty. Perhaps they are
Un-interested in a brand-spankin'-
New deck of cards for they shun that which is superflous!
Never shall they spring cards forth from their fingers,
In the manner of the legendary Flxisqueshcmdiseck-ers!
Ever so slowly, they will fade into memory,
Slumbering in the shadows of the great poo-bah!

Hint: It's another acrostic!

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
But "XCM" while it gets the same polarizing opinions, ACTUALLY HAS SOME PRODUCTS released under de'vos work, so when years have passed, and all the fanboys that argue about this crap are bored with Flxisqueshcmdiseck and have moved onto other hobbies, someone new will come along and look for something to buy... he will ONLY see XCM products, so XCM is the name for it, like it or not!

We'll see, it's hard to see exactly what the future holds. De'vo's products sure as hell won't be the only ones on the market. ;)

I really don't see it that way, sure it will pop up in books sometimes, but still kind of iffy depending on the people you deal with.

I pulled the definition for flourish off of dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flourish

But I applied a definition that would make most sense in everyday language, but you are correct that is one of the definitions of flourish.

Compare the definitions. What is a flourish? A fancy and showy move with cards. What is a definition of the laymen word "flourish"? A showy move with an object or body part. I think it's the correct definition. :)

Being ridiculed for terminology? Well in that case whatever you call it, whatever your providing should overshadow that anyway, and throw couple overhead springs to shut them up or something. I highly doubt people will try to ridicule you if you have the skills to back it up at least not in public. Besides stand behind your words, seriously. Kind of spineless to let some ridicule stop you from using a sensible name for what you do.

I think long-term and in-depth. The employer will want to call you what you call yourself, for the sake of simplicity. If you're called an "Extreme Card Manipulator", will he really want that on his wedding invitation? I'm not thinking like me here, I'm thinking like the general public. Even De'vo insists that you don't use Extreme Card Manipulator for laymen. :p

Sensible name? That's LARGELY a matter of opinion, bro. I'd prefer to be billed as "Card Shark" or "Magician and Manipulator" or "Expert Card Handler", etc. I'm willing to bet that those are the names that De'vo uses for the public. :)

-Vince

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results