New Original Effect - Shameful Self Promote

Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys. I say shameful because I feel bad posting my own original effect here. Anyways, i just want some comments, criticism, (and hopefully encouragement!). This effect took me two days to complete, and I'm pretty proud of it, since I got a method for pretty much exactly how I visualized the effect. Tell me what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKNZVLLg6qY

Jan 20, 2009
California
its good, i would show the inside of the blue pack before you put it in your pocket.
also i would really cut down on the waving if possible.

Jan 21, 2011
its good, i would show the inside of the blue pack before you put it in your pocket.
also i would really cut down on the waving if possible.

Thanks for that advice. The reason i used a longer wave was so that it would appear to a spectator as a gradual transformation. It seems more magical to me that way.

Thanks for watching!

Dec 26, 2009
Collin,

I have watched the video once and I am going to rewatch and give pointers on things I think would make it look better. I am going to tear it apart but don't take it the wrong way. I like the effect it could just use a little work. Before I begin, I will say this because it happens multiple times throughout the performance. Don't cover the gum so much. The changes and transfers of the face aren't that visual in the video because you are covering the gum so much.

0:16 - Spectators won't care what the flavors and names of the different gums are. Display the inside of the blue pack of gum. Maybe by taking a piece of gum out of the blue pack for you or the spec to chew.

0:24 - Use a magician's force here to end up with the pack of gum you want. Keep the blue pack in sight. Have the spec hold their hand out palm up and place the blue pack, flap down, in their hand. I know you were performing alone for the cam, just a tip for live performance.

0:55 - I would do one shake but that is just personal preference. Makes it look like it jumps instead of the fishy shaking movement.

1:01 - Again I would only do one shake.

1:15 - display both sides of the gum using the paddle move.

1:16 - Less large movements in the shake. Maybe figure out a different way to change the green gum to blue.

After watching your vid again it would be cool to do a wrapper, no wrapper version of the same trick. Take out a piece of blue gum and take the wrapper off and crumple it up and place it in the specs hand like for sponge balls or coin bend. Do the first part of the gum effect as normal. Change the wrapper on the gum to the blue wrapper and have the spec open their hand to reveal the crumpled wrapper in their hand to be green with the face on it. Just a thought.

Thanks for that advice. The reason i used a longer wave was so that it would appear to a spectator as a gradual transformation. It seems more magical to me that way.

Thanks for watching!

I know what you mean about the gradual transformation but the way you are doing it it isn't gradual. You cover the gum up with your fingers from the start of the first shake until the end of the last shake. So there isn't anything gradual about it. It would really look better if you had less movements and less covering of the gum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the tips! I will take them all into consideration. I can try to get that shake move faster and without cover, but it's a little hard to do that with the gimmick.
I was going to use the paddle move, but the way it looks when you do it you end up flashing blue, since it's blue on the sides.

I will also take into consideration the wrapper no wrapper effect.

Thanks a lot for your in-depth advice!

-Collin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results