New Sandwich Idea

Nov 27, 2009
I do something very similar with the 2 "bread cards" in my other hand. This can also be done in slow motion with a small shake of the hands.

Jun 1, 2009
Nice, but like before, nothing "new". Also, don't square up the cards after it's been seen between the aces, it could seem like you switched it or something, you know?

Sep 1, 2007
I do think the way which the card goes into the pack is unique. I'm not sure if I showed that well with this video though.

Not sure which part you mean, the switch or the slow "sandwich" part at the end.

The switch was the part I didn't like at all, there was no motivation for it.

The way the card goes back into the pack isn't super unique, I think Bill Goodman has a sandwich effect using a similar yet faster movement. It doesn't look as magical as you might think. I get the feeling you're seeing it impossibly push into the middle of the deck, but coming out between the sandwich cards. It's a great idea, and worth developing but it's not there YET in this video

Jun 1, 2009
Not sure which part you mean, the switch or the slow "sandwich" part at the end.

The switch was the part I didn't like at all, there was no motivation for it.

The way the card goes back into the pack isn't super unique, I think Bill Goodman has a sandwich effect using a similar yet faster movement. It doesn't look as magical as you might think. I get the feeling you're seeing it impossibly push into the middle of the deck, but coming out between the sandwich cards. It's a great idea, and worth developing but it's not there YET in this video

Goodwin*
And yes, I believe it's called "Triad" it's a trio of sandwiches that build on each other, can be found on Dan and Dave's site.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Just remember, in a lot of cases, the simpler the better. Your *fancy* way for getting your two aces, your fancy way for getting the selected card to the top of the deck... all you are really doing is giving more obstacles in terms of things your spectators need to follow, when in actuality you should be trying to make it as CLEAR as possible the card they selected is going into the middle of the deck.

There is being graceful, and there is being overly fancy which ultimately distracts from the effect. I don't know if anyone else is with me on this one... but I felt the latter.

Sep 1, 2007

Stupid auto correct. Goodwin.

tokyoUW said:
Just remember, in a lot of cases, the simpler the better. Your *fancy* way for getting your two aces, your fancy way for getting the selected card to the top of the deck... all you are really doing is giving more obstacles in terms of things your spectators need to follow, when in actuality you should be trying to make it as CLEAR as possible the card they selected is going into the middle of the deck.

There is being graceful, and there is being overly fancy which ultimately distracts from the effect. I don't know if anyone else is with me on this one... but I felt the latter.

I agree with you. While being fancy when you're performing is a style of performance and ultimately the choice of the magician, there is such a thing as too much. Just as there's such thing as too simple. If it's too simple, you run the risk of making the effect boring to watch, as most of an effect is lead up and premise setting, they won't make it to the ending without tuning out. The journey between the start and the end have to be clear enough to follow and exciting/stimulating enough to keep you engaged.

This video is borderline, but not too fancy. I think this might become a growing problem in the generation of the hybrid flourisher/magicians

Jun 1, 2009
I agree with you. While being fancy when you're performing is a style of performance and ultimately the choice of the magician, there is such a thing as too much. Just as there's such thing as too simple. If it's too simple, you run the risk of making the effect boring to watch, as most of an effect is lead up and premise setting, they won't make it to the ending without tuning out. The journey between the start and the end have to be clear enough to follow and exciting/stimulating enough to keep you engaged.

This video is borderline, but not too fancy. I think this might become a growing problem in the generation of the hybrid flourisher/magicians

Agreed. I've seen videos where someone returns the card, and then to shuffle they do a sybil cut. Really? All those packets moving around does make for good eye candy, but it should be in between effects, not during one. To shuffle cards, simply shuffle the cards , either riffle or overhand. Both can be used for controls, or be false, or whatever. Plus they look completely innocent. Does a 5 packet display to "lose" the card in the deck seem suspicious? Yes. I used to do a "fancy" triple false cut when I first started, and I always got burned on it. Then I realized I'm doing too much, I need to keep it simple, and it's worked out tremendously for me.

If you want to show someone flourishes, do it to either gather attention and then do magic, or in between effects while you're talking to them show them some cool cuts. But don't incorporate it with the magic too much. Just my opinion, but the more simple and streamlined an effect, the better reactions is garners.

Jul 25, 2011
Berlin
Does a 5 packet display to "lose" the card in the deck seem suspicious? Yes.
I'd agree more with
being fancy when you're performing is a style of performance and ultimately the choice of the magician

Originality: Though especially the method of this, does have a lot in common with Triad, the effect seems different to me. While in Triad, the card visually jumps/moves upwards through other cards. In this version if properly executed which it is NOT AT ALL, I believe that the card would morph its way between the sandwich without (!) moving through the pack, which is ultimately more magical but adapted with this method, probably slightly more detectable.

Note to creator: I fooled around with the idea and here comes my 5 minute production http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNHZEQdp1Iw (as soon as the "morphing sequence" looks smooth, it will be magical, may this give you some more inspiration)

While everything was flourishy the ending where you showed the selection was really awkward and uncomfortable although this is the prestige, the most important part!

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results