New to this and looking for advice

Aug 7, 2017
Hello everyone. I’m hoping I’m in the right place here. I’ve had a rather large passion for magic for quite some time now, ever since watching Paul Harris perform in Vegas in the early 2000’s. Unfortunately, I’m getting a late start on things, as I wrapped up my career first, before deciding to pursue this passion.

I prefer acts of cardistry, simply because of their mobility and ability to be performed in a more wide variety of places (I am sure other acts can as well, but I just prefer card or small object manipulaton).

I have purchased several different box sets for practice, and I have been able to perform several of these acts with a rather short learning curve, simply from having very flexible and quick hands from a combination of gaming apm and sports. Also, from my background in engineering, I have tried (and mostly failed to this point), in creating some contraptions and gadgets to assist in illusion, mostly not due to functionality (most of them work), but because the devices are obvious, or cannot be amply concealed.

My questions are really this:

1. With little to no background, but a generally long budget, where should I start, in terms of actually being able to practice and perform tricks in a setting that will test my ability to do so?
  2. Are there any methods in terms of designing gadgets or anyone here that can impart some advice on how one comes to the balance between adding functionality vs concealment? Are there places I can go to actually learn this art?
  3. Are there limits as to what can be done in terms of acceptable use of gadgets within illusion? Are there any kinds of boundaries that would be considered off limits? An example of this would be, perhaps, using a magnetized strip on a card to manipulate placement of medium current circuits to cause a card to hover, or move on its own accord out of a pile/deck of cards, but which might say, attract a pre 1943 penny as well, or perhaps some foreign coins. Due to needing to use a neodymium magnet to create enough force, this could cause such coins to be moving with enough velocity to cause a minor injury.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
  1. With little to no background, but a generally long budget, where should I start, in terms of actually being able to practice and perform tricks in a setting that will test my ability to do so?
  2. Are there any methods in terms of designing gadgets or anyone here that can impart some advice on how one comes to the balance between adding functionality vs concealment? Are there places I can go to actually learn this art?
  3. Are there limits as to what can be done in terms of acceptable use of gadgets within illusion? Are there any kinds of boundaries that would be considered off limits? An example of this would be, perhaps, using a magnetized strip on a card to manipulate placement of medium current circuits to cause a card to hover, or move on its own accord out of a pile/deck of cards, but which might say, attract a pre 1943 penny as well, or perhaps some foreign coins. Due to needing to use a neodymium magnet to create enough force, this could cause such coins to be moving with enough velocity to cause a minor injury.
First off, find out what you want to do. Stage, street, coin, close up, etc. You mentioned you like Cardistry? I think you ment more so card magic, and other small object magic. Cardistry is flourishing with cards (which is much more different. Look up some cardistry compilation videos on YouTube, they are amazing to watch). I think I know where you should start, if you want to start in card magic, and other smaller stuff. To answer your questions...

1. Start with a few beginner books. Gabriel Z showed Jason England's video, and they are great books, but obviously you can't buy all of them when you start, especially on a budget. Start with The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard & Fredrick Braue. It is a cheap Dover reprint, only costs a few bucks. A few 0ther cheap books you can buy when you are beginning:
-If you are interested in Coin Magic, get "Modern Coin Magic" by Bobo
- "Expert Card Technique" is a "sequel" to the Royal Road. I recommend finishing the Royal Road first
- If you are looking for a more rounded book, this one costs a bit more than the others, but "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" is great (or so I've heard, I don't own it).

You can also buy some effects, but you will need to know how to perform it. Remember, you are not giving the audience a trick, you are giving them a performance.

2. What you are referring to are gimmicks. Gimmicks are used by magicians to accomplish certain moves that lead to other effects. They are almost always invisible, and the one's that are seen need to have a way to be examined.
I recommend you actually learn & perform a bit before getting into too much gimmicking, simply because you will create gimmicks that are not really usable in the real world. After you find some footing in Card magic, you can go ahead and buy some gimmicked effects that you would actually use. See how you like them. See if you can build upon them, or if it inspires you to create something.

3. Yes and no. The gimmicks are not supposed to be the effect. They can only help you accomplish an effect. There are so many other things that must be considered. You need to ask yourself "is this really the best way to accomplish this effect". At the end of the day, the spectators don't care about the method, they care about the presentation. The gimmicks need to be relatively small, and easy to use, otherwise there is no point. The gimmicks are there to help you accomplish an effect, not be the effect, so they can't be to difficult.
Let's take the example you gave.

A magnetic card would be a dumb gimmick, especially one with a lot of circuitry. You said you would make a full deck with electronics to make it move around on its own? The same thing can be accomplished with some very basic sleight of hand. In fact, you can do more with sleight of hand than anything else. Whilst your electronic deck would move and get the card invisibly to the top, Sleight of hand would have allowed you to already have a card selected and signed, invisibly control it to the top, make it disappear, make it reappear from your pocket, then make it reappear again all with simple sleight of hand. Not to mention, you would have to carry that electronic deck with you everywhere, and it is really only good for one effect, where as this could be done with any deck of cards. Now let's say you wanted to have that same card float using your magnets? Much simpler gimmicks would be able to accomplish that. Infact, paired with a bit of sleight of hand, you can very easily make it float using simple gimmicks, or relatively advanced ones (again, these "advance gimmicks" are still super simple).

At the end of the day, the best gimmicks are the small & ridiculously simple ones.

So, the gimmicks need to be easy to use and transport, be concealed, and as simple as possible. Then you need to think "will this actually be useful". A lot of gimmicks are made and trashed because no one would actually use them/

Let me know If I can be of more help!

Jul 26, 2016
starting_up, I would like to try to address your question, but I am honestly not sure what it is you are asking. You say you seem comfortable with manipulation of small objects and that you have an affinity toward cards, but you also mention that you are an engineer and it seems you are attracted to or wanting to create some mechanical or digital gimmicks. So, is your primary desire to become good at sleight of hand (no gimmicks, but primarily manipulative skill and dexterity), or are you looking mainly to incorporate and/or create gimmicks with which to perform magic?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
starting_up, I would like to try to address your question, but I am honestly not sure what it is you are asking. You say you seem comfortable with manipulation of small objects and that you have an affinity toward cards, but you also mention that you are an engineer and it seems you are attracted to or wanting to create some mechanical or digital gimmicks. So, is your primary desire to become good at sleight of hand (no gimmicks, but primarily manipulative skill and dexterity), or are you looking mainly to incorporate and/or create gimmicks with which to perform magic?
I think he was going for more so sleight of hand paired with gimmicks.

Which brings up the interesting part of this: You need a fair amount of understanding of sleight of hand in order to use most gimmicks, and definitely to perform them well. It isn't all "smoke and mirrors". In fact, it is a ton of sleight of hand.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jul 15, 2017
In the beginning you have to find out what type of magic you like (stage, street, close-up, cards, coins, ...). Of course you don't have to choose only one if you like multiple things ;) Invest in some decent books or DVDs and don't buy all the newest fancy-looking tricks right from the start. I did that in the beginning but was often disappointed because it didn't suit my style or the kind of tricks I wanted to perform. Once I knew the basics in cardmagic I could more easily see which trick would suit me.

Some people like gimmicks or making gimmicks more than actual performing magic and there's nothing wrong with that, but knowing the basics in the genre you want to make gimmicks for will help you a lot! Maybe you can look into big stage illusions? You can buy building plans online. Good luck!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Start with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Then get Jim Steinmeyer's book Conjuring Anthology. Those should give you a great understanding of the role of gimmicks and fakes in magic.

Reactions: ParkinT
Jan 14, 2017
I want to echo the recommendation for Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It is a classic resource - much like the old Professor Hoffman tomes from which I originally learned 40+ years ago.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I want to echo the recommendation for Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It is a classic resource - much like the old Professor Hoffman tomes from which I originally learned 40+ years ago.

Amazon has "Greatest" "Latest" and "More" Magic for around $45 for all three books. Great reads. If you like Hoffman, you would love John Northern Hilliard's Greater Magic.... talk about a tome.

Reactions: ParkinT
Jan 14, 2017
Amazon has "Greatest" "Latest" and "More" Magic for around $45 for all three books. Great reads. If you like Hoffman, you would love John Northern Hilliard's Greater Magic.... talk about a tome.
Thanks for that heads-up. I fondly remember [the green] hardback (I think it was "Modern Magic") that I continuously checked-out of the library as a youngster. Fortunately, there was no one else within the region who wanted that book so I was permitted to renew it almost indefinitely.
Most of the magic I learned came from that book !!

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
To me Teller's advice to those starting out is invaluable.

Maggie Ragaisis said:
Recently, a young aspring magician wrote to Teller of Penn and Teller
asking for some advice. When I saw Teller's response, I was quite
impressed with his concerned, well thought out answer. It seems
appropriate for ANYONE who is just starting out in magic, so with his
gracious permission, I am reposting it here.

Enjoy!

sincerely,

maggie ragaisis
technogoddess-at-large

-----

1. Read everything about magic that you can get your hands on. My favorite
basic texts (and I consult them to this day) are, THE AMATEUR MAGICIAN'S
HANDBOOK, and LEARN MAGIC by Henry Hay; CLASSIC SECRETS OF MAGIC by Bruce
Elliot; THE ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC by Hugard and Braue; and THIRTEEN STEPS
TO MENTALISM by Tony Corinda. Chase them down.

2. Learn to do the cut and restored rope. Polish it so that you can
absolutely mystify people with it. This is a great, great trick that will
stand you in good stead. I still use it in our show (in a new form).

3. Learn some version of the Cups and Balls (there is a wonderful one-cup
routine in the Bruce Elliot book above). #2 and #3 formed the basis of the
act I did for years.

4. Wait 10 years before doing the Linking Rings. It's overdone just at this
time in our history.

5. Learn a powerful trick for the ending to your show. Warning: production
tricks are really hard and eat up all your time folding silks and fake
flowers.

6. Remember you are a kid. You look like a kid. Don't think you'll fool
people into thinking you are an old sage from the Himalayas.

7. Do a short act. Don't worry about getting paid yet. Do six minutes that
is wonderful and amazing. You will be able to handle longer stints as the
material develops.

8. The "Miser's Dream" is a really easy trick that's really hard to learn to
do in a concise, entertaining way. Learn it. Learn to vary your methods.
Learn to do it fast. Lots of coins, quickly, then a beat of comedy. Then
more coins, then more comedy. Then an ending. Get hold of a videotape of Al
Flosso doing the Miser's Dream. Watch how entertaining that old coot is.

9. Perform as often as you can. You will never get good until you stand on
stage for a zillion hours and learn how to do it for real. It's nice to
daydream about grand effects, but if you get out there -- by whatever means
you have to use -- and perform, perform, perform, you will improve.

10. Behave towards your audience with sincere respect. You are not superior
because you know a few tricks. They are the people you OWE a wonderful show
to.

11. No matter how badly a show goes, remember it's just a show. Tomorrow
there will be a different show and you can redeem yourself.

12. Make sure you remember all your ideas. Maybe some stink now only because
you don't yet know enough to make them good. Ideas are precious. Keep notes.

13. Stick with it. If you truly love what you are doing, you will love
rehearsing, laboring, getting stage fright, wasting money, even failing.
Love magic and your audience so powerfully that you are locked in the jaws of
its love. When the cub scouts throw things, love the pain; it will teach
you. Stick with it. Getting good takes, not weeks, not months, but years.
Years. Be prepared.

your colleague,

TELLER

Jul 1, 2017
There is no limit my friend, surprisingly YouTube was one of my biggest aids in learning the art and learning tricks. Channels such as Disturb Reality and Jay Sankey have helped me improve my repertoire (also talk with more magicians, I was able to be trained by other magicians, which has also improved my skills). Believing in yourself is also key. As said in the Now You See Me Franchise, always be the smartest person in the room (even if you aren't). you have to give off this confidence that makes people want to trust you. EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT. Never leave home without a piece of magic and make sure you have practiced it enough so it becomes, well, second nature.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
There is no limit my friend, surprisingly YouTube was one of my biggest aids in learning the art and learning tricks. Channels such as Disturb Reality and Jay Sankey have helped me improve my repertoire (also talk with more magicians, I was able to be trained by other magicians, which has also improved my skills). Believing in yourself is also key. As said in the Now You See Me Franchise, always be the smartest person in the room (even if you aren't). you have to give off this confidence that makes people want to trust you. EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT EXPERIMENT. Never leave home without a piece of magic and make sure you have practiced it enough so it becomes, well, second nature.
Disturb reality taught a lot of stuff wrong....

Plus his channel is complete trash now.

And there are definitely limits. If it is impractical, or unnecessary, you don't need to make it. There should not be a machine that does a double lift for you. I agree with the experimenting thing, but as far as gimmicks are concerned not too much as a beginner. I mean, you can of course do stuff as a beginner, but most gimmicks will be trash if you make them without a wide understanding of sleights and performance. If the idea is really good, go ahead and write it down, or even try it, but a lot of times, it seems good, but really isn't.

Also, something to add to the confidence thing: You need to be confident, but not arrogant. The magic should focus on the audience, not you. And you need to be confident without coming off as a douche bag. In reality, you should really be pretty humble while performing, that way people actually enjoy the magic instead of just getting annoyed by you. Now, that's not to say you can't come off as slightly cocky, or do demonstrations of skills, as long as you make sure that you aren't full of yourself.

Jul 1, 2017
Disturb reality taught a lot of stuff wrong....

Plus his channel is complete trash now.

And there are definitely limits. If it is impractical, or unnecessary, you don't need to make it. There should not be a machine that does a double lift for you. I agree with the experimenting thing, but as far as gimmicks are concerned not too much as a beginner. I mean, you can of course do stuff as a beginner, but most gimmicks will be trash if you make them without a wide understanding of sleights and performance. If the idea is really good, go ahead and write it down, or even try it, but a lot of times, it seems good, but really isn't.

Also, something to add to the confidence thing: You need to be confident, but not arrogant. The magic should focus on the audience, not you. And you need to be confident without coming off as a douche bag. In reality, you should really be pretty humble while performing, that way people actually enjoy the magic instead of just getting annoyed by you. Now, that's not to say you can't come off as slightly cocky, or do demonstrations of skills, as long as you make sure that you aren't full of yourself.

I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT! Yes be humble and confident not arrogant, no one like an arrogant magician. Magicians are supposed to be humble and respectful. I have seen many cases of rude, arrogant, and downright awful magicians that treat there spectators awfully. Being "cocky" is a big "no no". No magician should brag about how good they are as well. Always remember, being humble and confident is different than arrogant, never be arrogant

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results