New to this site...

Jun 29, 2009
Hello, i'm new to this site and card manipulation, and i've been spending lots of money on the art.

My interests:

-XCM
-Magic

If i had to choose, i would choose XCM over Magic. I know lots of card tricks, i'm not really particularly GREAT at them, but i know basic card control and the idea behind tricks. My interest lies in flourishing and manipualtion.

Brief History (Skip this section and move down to the bolded part below if you want to get to the point of the thread):

Last year, literally about a year ago i started with card handling. I spent a week going through youtube for tutorials on anything and everything i could find. I searched for forums, but could not find any. Wish i knew about theory11...

But anyway, i put together maybe 15 folders inside of one folder labeled "Card Tricks and Techniques". They have 15 to 20 videos in each folder. Topics ranged from sybilling, to passes, to fans and pretty much any very VERY basic idea (not to say sybils or passes are basic, but the ones i found were).

I practiced a few hours a day and got into magic tricks. Every day i went to the gym to meet a friend there and work out, and showed him a new trick i learned. Sometimes he saw through them, sometimes not.

But anyway, i went to school and didn't touch a deck in forever. About a weekago i got back into it and bought alot of De'vo and Jerry's work, like XB v 1, v2, Cobra Collection and cradle to the grave.

I'm not great, i can do some sybilling but not fast, and i can do a few one handed cuts. I got down the arm spread and catch decently well.

My Questions:

What products can i get to improve my card handling? I am extremely interested in any types of sybils. Thats my primary interest. I would also like to spring the cards and fan them.

Also, i want my double lift to be smoother. Right now i am fooling 9 year olds rather well, but when their parents come by (i have to do daycare at the gym i run sometimes) and the kids want me to show them i always refuse. Haha 9 year olds are the best to practice on.

Also, how long and many hours of practice did it take you to get as good as you are? Like, i drop cards alot, and i know you guys did too, but maybe i can speed the process along quicker with a DVD or two? Money is not an issue BTW (I just bought $60 worth of sick looking decks that will last me for a LONG time, from Tally Ho's to special bikes to split spades. I got it all)

Oh and for magic i want to learn:

-Clipshift
-Passes
-Any instant card changes possible.
-Making cards disappear and reappear.

Flourishes:

-Fans
-Sybils
-Springs
-One hand cuts
-ROUTINES!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 19, 2009
Colorado Springs
Personally I think if you want to get good at flourishes and are willing to practice, I would suggest Dan and Dave's the Trilogy, it is a three dvd set and well worth your money. There is a dvd in the set called "flourishes" which should be self explanatory, but if you can master those it would give you great control and handling, if you practice.. This set is also good because their is a segment in the dvd set called "everythingelse" and it teaches....well everything else. It has fanning, smaller and cooler flourishes, double lifts, productions, etc. This segment also has something called Flourishes 101, which teaches like 20 basic flourishes (including the sybil.) And the other disc is called "tricks" and I recommend this dvd because it does have really cool and ingenious effects (that and if your gonna buy the other dvds why not get a discount and buy all three) Hope this helps, Peace.

Edit: Oh by the way you can buy it here on T11 and there is more info on the product page.

and if you want also get andthensome. Its the special disc that goes with the Trilogy and if you buy all four its like 20% off the total price or sumthin like that.

Jun 29, 2009
Thank you man, i ordered it because i have been hearing so much about it. Its probably the last i'll spend for awhile, but i know it will pay off!

Mar 19, 2009
Colorado Springs
no problem, and I'm sure it will pay off for you cus it did for me and before I bought it i was good at magic kinda poor at xcm but since watching those dvds multiple times I am covering slights better, the tricks I learned and the ones I have created are much smoother and I have also created a couple of nice flourishes since viewing the dvds, its well worth it and I hope it works out for you.

May 3, 2008
Welcome to the forums. Let me just say, hold back on the Clipshift. It is an extremely hard move and I'd wait until you have a little bit more experence to learn it. If you are into card manipulation there are 3 vol. of downloads in the 1-on-1 section on it which goes into producing and vanishing cards. Also, for flourishes I'd reccommend either The Trilogy by Dan and Dave Buck or Dangerous Vol. 2 by Daniel Madison. Those have some great flourishes.

And one more thing: the key to flourishes is PERSEVERANCE. They will be extremely tough at first but you need to just keep practicing and you'll get it eventually.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

Hello, i'm new to this site and card manipulation, and i've been spending lots of money on the art.

My interests:

-XCM
-Magic

If i had to choose, i would choose XCM over Magic. I know lots of card tricks, i'm not really particularly GREAT at them, but i know basic card control and the idea behind tricks. My interest lies in flourishing and manipualtion.

Brief History (Skip this section and move down to the bolded part below if you want to get to the point of the thread):

Last year, literally about a year ago i started with card handling. I spent a week going through youtube for tutorials on anything and everything i could find. I searched for forums, but could not find any. Wish i knew about theory11...

But anyway, i put together maybe 15 folders inside of one folder labeled "Card Tricks and Techniques". They have 15 to 20 videos in each folder. Topics ranged from sybilling, to passes, to fans and pretty much any very VERY basic idea (not to say sybils or passes are basic, but the ones i found were).

I practiced a few hours a day and got into magic tricks. Every day i went to the gym to meet a friend there and work out, and showed him a new trick i learned. Sometimes he saw through them, sometimes not.

But anyway, i went to school and didn't touch a deck in forever. About a weekago i got back into it and bought alot of De'vo and Jerry's work, like XB v 1, v2, Cobra Collection and cradle to the grave.

I'm not great, i can do some sybilling but not fast, and i can do a few one handed cuts. I got down the arm spread and catch decently well.

My Questions:

What products can i get to improve my card handling? I am extremely interested in any types of sybils. Thats my primary interest. I would also like to spring the cards and fan them.

Also, i want my double lift to be smoother. Right now i am fooling 9 year olds rather well, but when their parents come by (i have to do daycare at the gym i run sometimes) and the kids want me to show them i always refuse. Haha 9 year olds are the best to practice on.

Also, how long and many hours of practice did it take you to get as good as you are? Like, i drop cards alot, and i know you guys did too, but maybe i can speed the process along quicker with a DVD or two? Money is not an issue BTW (I just bought $60 worth of sick looking decks that will last me for a LONG time, from Tally Ho's to special bikes to split spades. I got it all)

-Clipshift
-Passes

Flourishes:

-Fans
-Sybils
-Springs
-One hand cuts
-ROUTINES!!!
Brad Christian, anything he has....

I would say, that if you already bought all that stuff? Lay back and practice for a WHILE. and then after that, come up with your own stuff!!! Thats the fun part. And only buy products that really jump out at you, don't just waste your money on every new thing, cause then you will get overwheled and eventually give up.

My interests:

-XCM
-Magic

My Questions:

-Clipshift
-Passes

Flourishes:

-Fans
-Sybils
-Springs
-One hand cuts
-ROUTINES!!!

Well........WELCOME!!!!:D

Honestly, I think that the Trilogy isn't a place for beginners to start. First get comfortable with cards in your hands and get some 1 on 1's. Then I would get XB1 and work on that for maybe half a year or so. Then you can take many paths!!!

XB1------> Dan and Dave's The System/Trilogy------> EOPCF
XB1------> Daniel Madison's Motion--------------------> EOPCF
XB1------> XB2---------------?-----------------------------> EOPCF

Above is a diagram of some of the many things you can do!!!!!!!!!!!:D Honestly, you don't have to get XB1 as a base for everything... but you get the idea.:D

Either way, whatever you choose, if you want to really get into it and expand, your going to have to get the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes sometime...somehow.

But yes, if you are interested in Two-handed cuts such as Sybil...then defineitly look into the Trilogy after you know the basics and a bit more. Also D+M may have some things that may interest you.

Honestly, Jerry and De'vo don't do much of the "Sybil" cuts and so forth....so...... on your "Handlordz Set" you won't really learn two-handed cuts and so forth.

Jun 29, 2009
Thank you everyone! I will be practicing for a long time, but my problem now is that i cut my thumb open at work today and i'm soooo pissed, so it needs to heal (at least 2 weeks) before i can really dive into manipulation.

Also, i wouldn't consider myself that much of a beginner, i think i can handle most sybil cuts, but chances are i won't perform them fast. Either way, practice makes perfect and i hope to get there by the end of the summer.

People are recommending lots of products, but would you say the trilogy and de'vo/jerry's stuff is good enough for a year? I hear alot about the encyclopedia, but isn't that a book? I mean, what can i get out of that? (i worded it that way for a reason)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results