New Website!

Sep 1, 2007
Just a couple of suggestions:

-Get rid of the adds. They never look good.
-Correct the spelling errors (sleight of hand, not "slight" of hand)
-Add a page telling about what kind of shows you do. You mention close-up magic somewhere, but that possibly says nothing to your possible clients.
-Write your bio again. Google some instructions how to do it properly, I'm sure you find something. You don't want to start off with something as boring as "my life is pretty normal". Also saying that you've learnt from books and DVDs doesn't really give an impression of "a master".

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Draven,
Here were my first impressions and exactly what I thought. Take it as constructive criticism because I respect you a lot and have gotten a lot out of your posts here.

1.) Ditch the adds at the top. I don't know if that allows you to get a better rate on a server or whatever but they need to go. Looks very unprofessional.

2.) Your bio is just a tad bit too long to read through. I would try and condense it to about half of what you have. Only include the necessary info...ditch the filler stuff and phrases.

3.) Everything I click on takes very long to load as far as toggling through pics and what not. I am even on a fast connection.

You are definitely on the right track though.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
I agree with what ineski said.

As for spicing up your biography, you can stretch the truth a little. Say you learned your magic from some of the world's greatest magicians including Dai Vernon, Paul Daniels, and Derren Brown. Just dont mention the fact you learn it from a book or dvd. Cuz technically, you WERE taught by them, just in book form. But they dont need to know that ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
As for spicing up your biography, you can stretch the truth a little. Say you learned your magic from some of the world's greatest magicians including Dai Vernon, Paul Daniels, and Derren Brown. Just mention the fact you learn it from a book or dvd. Cuz technically, you WERE taught by them, just in book form. But they dont need to know that ;).

That's very, very bad advice.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
This may just be a working website, that he will "upgrade" to remove the ads once he has finished the editing.

Although I have numerous suggestions, the biggest one I have is get a new banner. Unless of course the city skyline has some connection to your show or your character. It just seems very unrelated to what you do.

-Also your gallery has a lot of random unrelated pictures. Keep in mind you call it a promotional website, so remember that when you choose pictures. Save your holidays and pictures of friends for Facebook.

-Perhaps you should really think about the purpose of your site. If it is a fan site, then use something like myspace or facebook.
If it is for potential clients, then make sure every aspect and every tab is directed at getting the clients attention, and leading them to your contact info.

Keep going. (Check out the cafe, lots of fantastic examples and information on making websites.)

Oct 11, 2007
Hey I was just gonna say that I thought I saw you in Las Vegas this summer at the Lance Burton show and the Tournament of Kings.

Also make sure that you spell "sleight of hand" right in your article on the front page. Also make a page describing what a slose up show is like.

Other than that I think it looks good!

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Sorry guys, it was just an idea.

Someone from this site suggested this to me on a thread a while ago. I've never actually used it because i'm against lying and all that, even if it's stretching the truth. I only suggested because i've found that people are getting more and more used to lying nowadays so i figured that people would like it.

But i guess no one here is a lair so please just ignore that comment. Sorry i brought it up :(.

Thanks for the tips.

The site is obviously a work in progress. I have no technical skills with html, so until I can hire someone to do this for me, I'll need to stick to pre-made editors and the like.

corrected spelling. Can't believe "sleight" got by me.

Bio fixed.

Banners are going to stay for the minute. I'll be upgrading the site to a dedicated domain within a month or two, the banners will dissapear when that happens.

While I personally had to chuckle at the idea with Dai and what not, I don't think it's a good one. There are some magicians who are enough of a jerk to call me out on that, and it would look bad professionally. I'll stick to the credits that I already have.

You know it's funny. When I created that site yesterday I cobbled together bits and pieces from my facebook, and myspace accounts to make it. When I went back today, after reading the replies here, and looked at my site with a more critical eye the mistakes were obvious. I am amazed at my own blindness. I guess it goes to show that you should always get a second opinion with anything creative that you do.

yes.. you did see me at lance's show, and then again a day later at the tournament of kings. Woot Dragons! We sooo got jipped. Stupid hero having to win. We were the better team!

I'm pleased to say that I've launched my first promotional website. This is still very much a work in progress but I'd be open to ideas, comments, members, and suggestions.

http://www.williamdraven.webs.com

Let me know what you think!

Also... if I don't hear back on any initiative by T11 to use the 13th idea... I'll be implementing it on my site. Stay tuned!
hey man i'm gonna join and everything...just be sure to answer my e-mails....i like what u got going....looks pretty good so far....list more of yoru accomplishments like movie roles and stuff...

as for the site add a trick every week....either a free trick or a cool performance for you loyal "undeads"...(pretty kool huh?).....and tons of updates....do that man..i'm telling u its kool for fanbase...

unlike most magic sites. give a history of every performance. like how it got started it...who started it....the reasonings....people need to know exactly what macabre is and its somethign that should stand out...its not as popular as close up and stuff....educate em man....

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Just a note, you need to replace 'weather' with 'whether' in multiple points throughout the 'Why me?' page. For example: 'Weather you want someone to entertain at your next party...' should be 'Whether you want someone to entertain at your next party...'

EDIT: And again on the 'The Show' page.

God @#%!# I'm going to fire my microsoft word checking program. I swear to god the next computer I get will be an apple.

I suppose it's pointless at this time to feign ability to spell. I can drive nails into my skull, swallow fire, and pull string from my stomach, but I can't spell to save my life.

A very sheepish thanks to the mistakes pointed out.

Edit: Spelling and Content should be updated, or fixed. -thanks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results