No Mentalism?

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Being a stage hypnotist, I like to do mentalism.

But what I've found out in re-learning card tricks (I haven't touched it since High School), was that you can make card tricks (or any kind of trick for that matter) become mentalism tricks, even change it to a hypnosis show if you want. (Which I'm planning to do, actually).

For example, I'm planning to incorporate Distortion (yes, I bought my copy) to completely fool the crowd by saying "This isn't happening, you're not really seeing this. It is brought about by a hypnotic suggestion. You may see the pips move, but that's due to the trance you're in, the state of mind you're feeling." etc, etc like that.

Not only is this a great misdirection, inspired by the great Derren Brown, but this will also confuse some people. Maybe not a lot of people, but enough for me to not only know which ones are going to go into a trance easily and also trance them quickly.

The point is, you can make any trick into whatever catagory you want. Just have get the right pratter that fits you.

definately should be a mentalism section. it plays a huge roll in magic. almost every magician uses some kind of mentalism trick. "let me guess your card" how do magicians find cards if they couldn't know what it is. and surely everyone has performed a prediction trick or two. i second a mentalism forum.

Sep 1, 2007
This site is about high impact visual magic. The key word there is visual. Which in that case, it's difficult to make a mentalism effect highly visual unless you have some elaborate props involved. Not that you couldn't have a visual mentalism effect without alot of gimmicks, but the majority of the time, it's usually necessary.

I am sure there will be some mentalism effects in the future here, but if you look at the background at most of the magicians that work for this site, mentalism is not a main type of magic that they perform. Maybe some mental magic, but not mentalism.

I don't know if they will create a section for mentalism or not, but with us speaking about it, I am sure there will some effects that relate to this genre of magic in the future.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results