Non Card Magic.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Hey Guys whats up!
I been in and out of the magic game for years now.
I enjoy preforming, but I don't always find time too sadly.
I realized over the years that I enjoy non card magic a lot more then I do preforming with a deck.
I see a lot of great looking tricks that do not use a deck, but as many or all of you know, just because a trick looks good does not make it practical, or something that you would preform.
I was looking for some suggestions on non card magic that people are enjoying these days!
Any Help is appreciated!
also Coin magic is not my thing. haha Mostly looking at mentalism type stuff.
thank you guys so much for the help!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Duuuunnn uhn.
Duuuuunn uhn.
Dun uhn
Dun uhn
Duhn UHN! (That's onomatopoeia for the Jaw's music)

All joking aside, what do you want to do?

Mental magic or mentalism are similar but different enough that you can't really put them together. I think it's best to first think of a specific thing you want to do and learn multiple methods for that. For instance, Dee Christopher is awesome with metal bending. I also did a lot of that for a while. Or pick up PK stuff and learn a bunch of stuff for that. But don't flood yourself. Just pick something and stick with it and learn as much as you can with it.

Jun 27, 2013
Rich Ferguson has a dvd out called this is mentalsim a lot of practical mentalism effects I would reccomend. Any Daniel Garcia Effect with or without cards is extremely practical his projects dvds are legendary and really really practical. He also has a dvd called 5 its by DG and Marcus Eddie really strong moments of magic and really easy

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
hey thx for all the great replies! thinking bout it more, I would love to concentrate on PK! any good suggestions on PK type stuff?

Dee Christopher has good material. Matt Sconce has gotten some flak for his releases, but they work and I use them frequently. That's largely my resources for PK, honestly. Most of it I just work on myself. Oh, and Invisible.

But really, pick one thing and work it for a while. Don't try to do all the things.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Por que?

Not trying to gang up on you, but I'm a bit jaded these days. I see a lot of guys who decide, "I'm going to become a mentalist! Then I will get all of the titties!"

maybe mentalism does bring all the titties =0 or maybe I just enjoy preforming it? I like that it feels more real then a deck of cards. just my preference really. Coke over pepsi kinda thing for me.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
Dee Christopher has good material. Matt Sconce has gotten some flak for his releases, but they work and I use them frequently. That's largely my resources for PK, honestly. Most of it I just work on myself. Oh, and Invisible.

But really, pick one thing and work it for a while. Don't try to do all the things.

thx man! im actually good buddys with Dee, but i haven't checked out his recent releases! I will do so =D

Bryson G.

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
What are you doing?

Can someone on here explain to me what body loading is?

Please don't use someone else's thread to get your question answered, that makes you seem desperate, plus it's wrong. This thread really had nothing to do with that question.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hey Guys whats up!
I been in and out of the magic game for years now.
I enjoy preforming, but I don't always find time too sadly.
I realized over the years that I enjoy non card magic a lot more then I do preforming with a deck.
I see a lot of great looking tricks that do not use a deck, but as many or all of you know, just because a trick looks good does not make it practical, or something that you would preform.
I was looking for some suggestions on non card magic that people are enjoying these days!
Any Help is appreciated!
also Coin magic is not my thing. haha Mostly looking at mentalism type stuff.
thank you guys so much for the help!

I've not wadded through this thread in that I'm one of the sharks Ady warned you of. . . I smell fresh blood

For starters, you aren't ready for Mentalism, it's that simple. Mentalism requires some serious command of words, confidence, presence, the ability to manage people and size them up in an instant. . . it is one of the more demanding niches in all of magic and based on what you say in the above, you don't have the patience to learn the difference and work within those parameters nor, based on how you demonstrate your language skills in this posting, do you have a command of simple language so how do you suppose you'd do working in a field that seriously relies on linguistics, semantics, and general grammar?

All that said, you may want to take a look at my introduction to Mentalism eBook just so you can wrap your head around the subject and recognize the difference between Mental Magic & Mentalism as well as the varied forms & philosophies of said art. You will likewise want to weigh just how you wish to come across -- your "claim" & "style" in that this will seriously influence the sort of material you can and should not incorporate. For instance, I lean on the theme of Natural Intuition in that it allows me to offer both, an analytical as well as metaphysical perspective when it comes the effects presented and how they psychologically affect my audience. Similarly, I tend to lean more towards the mystical side of things in that I am a professional Reader and have been for a very long time; it is just as much a part of who I am as is my connection to the magic world and as such I cannot escape either identity.

As you can see, it's not just a matter of choosing "Mentalism" as an area of study, there's a hell of a lot more to it even before you begin proper performance of it. . . and one more thing, if you're building a house and ready to install the plumbing who do you think would do the better job; a plumber or an electrician?

I bring this up because you have and will get all kinds of opinions from Magicians that do tricks and refuse to understand the nuances between Magic & Mentalism e.g. you want to learn this craft from other working & experienced MENTALISTS not a bunch of arm chair experts that love card tricks. I don't say this to put down magicians, only to point out the fact that you need to deal with the experts . . . . let the plumbers install the plumbing instead of those that know about the carpentry, electrical, etc. . . . get it?

Feel free to PM me should you have more questions

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results