Oddyliciou5 by PK Son and Andino (A Great Download You've Probably Yet to Hear of)

Mar 4, 2015
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased Oddyliciou5 after seeing a post on /r/magic on Reddit, and it was so good I felt compelled to write a review. Sorry this is a long read, but Oddyliciou5 was amazingly comprehensive. For those who don’t care to read the whole thing, i’ve offered a TLDWR (Too Long Don’t Want to Read) below. 

TLDWR: This is a fantastic collection of 6 tricks utilizing an odd-backed card that are well worth the low-cost of $20 and will undoubtedly offer something new for every viewer.

Paragraphs 1-3 : Summation of the Video Set
Paragraphs 4-6: Trick by Trick Review
Paragraphs 7-9: Final Thoughts

The current state of magic relies heavily on instant downloads as opposed to books or physical DVDs. While this has been undoubtedly more convenient, it has ushered in an era where magicians are regularly paying $5-$15 for “one-trick” ponies. While these tricks are not necessarily poor quality, you are not receiving a great value for the knowledge obtained.

Thankfully, Australian-based magicians PK Son and Andino have broken this mold with their new project Oddyliciou5. For just $20, you receive 5 fully developed routines (which are also sold separately, albeit at a less discounted rate), and 1 bonus trick, based around the premise of using an odd-backed card. Most magicians know some variation of the Chicago Opener/Red Hot Mama, but Andino and PK offer fresh ideas that offer further justification for carrying an additional prop (odd-backed card) in what is most likely an already crowded case/jacket/pocket.

Each video in the package is available with 1 year of streaming as well as up to 5 downloads. There is also accompanying notes that help in the learning process, and the creators are using the benefit of streaming to consistently update the project as new ideas evolve.

Here is a short review of each trick:

Chicago Unboxed - This trick is Andino’s personal take on the Chicago opener. It takes the routine and makes it akin to an ambitious card and Chicago opener hybrid. The kicker ending to this trick leaves the spectators floored. The exact performance does require an additional prop that is less common, but Andino offers a host of various alternate endings to compensate.

Chicagological - This trick serves as an entirely different take on the Chicago opener premise. PK Son aims to create this effect as if it were to happen via real life circumstances as opposed to “magic.” This is a two card transposition that happens directly in front the spectator’s face and leaves them clueless once it’s completed. While the effect is clever, my favorite portion of this video was the subtleties that PK offers. His reasoning and justification for every move offers key lessons for all of the magic we perform. This lesson also offers a signed version.

Seven-Eleven Mate - This trick is bold. I mean really bold. The main sleight required for the trick will absolutely take some timing practice and requires serious confidence, however, the results are worth it. Seven-Eleven Mate is a take on the spectator cuts to any card premise. The spectator cuts a small packet, then the magician immediately cuts one for himself and after counting the cards it is realized that they have cut to the same number. More impressively, the card on top of each pile is the mate of the other card. The magician goes one step further, and as if by true magic, turns his card into an exact match of the spectator's right in front of their eyes…AND the card’s back changes as well. If you’ve got the guts, Seven-Eleven mate will undoubtedly impress your spectators. Andino also covers multiple outs for emergency situations, which is a nice touch.

Returning Customer - This is the most difficult trick in the set, but also my personal favorite. The ambitious card is one of the most memorable tricks you can perform for a spectator. Utilizing this idea and an odd-backed card, PK has created an incredible new addition that will breathe fresh-air into your ambitious routine. (This trick could easily stand alone as well) The spectator’s signed card is placed in the bottom of the deck slightly out-jogged, and as they watch intently it rises slowly to the top of the deck in plain view. The sleights involved will require ample practice, but they are fun to learn and PK recently added a new video emphasizing key points on his independently developed Deviant Drifter move.

Conspicuous - The Biddle trick has forever been a favorite trick of mine to perform. Combining the best parts of this trick with ideas taken from Brother John Hammond’s “Signed Card,” PK has created a beautiful new routine that vanishes a signed card directly under the spectator’s eyes. Not only does it reappear in the deck, but,the back of the card has changed as well. This trick is surprisingly simple and will create a lasting impression. Conspicuous was the only effect that I personally believe was hindered by the odd-back ending as it lacked ideal justification. But, PK also recognized this and offers a non-odd-backed version for those with similar thoughts.

[BONUS TRICK] C2Ph (ICard) - While the previously listed tricks can be downloaded separately, this fun little trick is only available to those who purchase the Oddyliciou5 package. This is PK’s take on on a card-to-phone that does not use any sort of gimmicky app. A card is selected, appears inside the phone, is shrunk and then pulled out of the phone (a signed version is taught as well). There are some additional pieces that need to be used, but they are provided in a downloadable format. This is the only trick that does require a potential additional purchase to work properly, which is why PK chose to add it only as a bonus. However, those who make the effort will be rewarded with a fantastic card-to-phone that ups the level of impossibility even more than the standard routine.

The amount of thought and effort that went into this project from both PK and Andino is clearly evident. They are constantly looking to improve this product and are glad to discuss the reasoning behind their methods.

Most intermediate magicians will know a large portion of the sleights discussed in this video. But, the opportunity to witness the creativity and experience these fresh routines is well worth the price of the video. For just $20, you get more than 2 hours of well-contrived useful magic. I have no doubt that you will walk away with at least 1 new effect to add to your repertoire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results