Oh! What Time Can Do...

Nov 10, 2007
Virginia
Let me start with this...

About 4 years ago my grandfather took me to his local club to meet one of his friends that performs magic. At this point, I was just getting into the art of magic. I introduced myself to him and he did the same back. Next, he started to show me some of his "basic" tricks and caught me completely off guard. The previous sentence tells you that, I was new to magic. All of his sleights I didn't even recognize or notice. He then started to do some more advanced tricks that involved gimmicks and more sleight of hand... To tell you the truth, I was stunned. I had never seen anything like this before, for this was basically my first magic performance I witnessed first hand. I mean, I knew the basics, but still, at that point in time, it amazed me.

Fast forward to last week...

I was visiting my grandparents in Florida and asked my grandfather to call up Bob and see if he could show me some more tricks. This time, though, I was prepared. When we arrived he had several decks of cards and other magic paraphernalia lying on the table. He then started to do some of his "basic" tricks again, this time though they were different tricks. As soon as he started the trick, I knew exactly what he was doing. I didn't want to, you know, tell him that I knew every single move he was making, so I decided to let him finish the trick. He showed me a few more tricks, this time mixing in some coin tricks, and I acted like I had no clue what he was doing. Finally, it was my turn to perform. The first time I met Bob, I didn't show him any tricks, which they probably would have stunk anyway. This time though, having now 4 years of experience intact, I began. I did some basic card routines and some basic coin tricks. He didn't seem too impressed. So, I decided to whip out the "knock-out" trick a little early... Witness. After he picked a card and I did my thing, I told him to flip over the bag slowly. The expression on his face was priceless. The few people that joined to watch the tricks faces were priceless. This time, it wasn't me who didn't know what was transpiring, it was the exact opposite.

My point is, a short while can make a difference. I would be very interested in some of your stories similar to mine. PLEASE NO NASTY COMMENTS, for we already had enough of those in the last week.

Thanks for reading and I hope you guys enjoy!

DoctorMagic

Jan 13, 2008
Thanks for sharing that story! :)

I hope you weren't just trying to show him up, though. ;) Although, it seems like you just wanted to show him where you're at now. Which is cool. :)

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for sharing that story! :)

I hope you weren't just trying to show him up, though. ;) Although, it seems like you just wanted to show him where you're at now. Which is cool. :)

No, he was definitely respectful from his description. Of course its in the back of his mind as an extreme goal to wow the person that first wowed him, but that is, as i said, a goal. That being said, he was able to achieve it and i'm sure it was a very respectful experience for the both of them.

I like hearing these stories, i do hope that people can talk about their past. Where most people were is where i am now, having only months of practice. Even if you didn't wow the person that first wowed you, i would like to hear about those of you that were new to magic and our up and coming stories.

Jan 13, 2008
No, he was definitely respectful from his description. Of course its in the back of his mind as an extreme goal to wow the person that first wowed him, but that is, as i said, a goal. That being said, he was able to achieve it and i'm sure it was a very respectful experience for the both of them.
I realize...I was being sarcastic, hence the wink, heh. :p

Again, I enjoyed the story! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results