Oh yeah... That happened...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 010rusty, Mar 22, 2020.

1. On behalf of the recent pandemic we have found ourselves I have began thinking about the most insane events to occur in my life. I began to realize how little things really are in the grand scheme of things. Especially in magic. I thought about all the controversy, and pain I've experienced in magic. I began to realize that at the time these moments felt LIFE CHANGING! However now I realize how silly and meaningless they truly were. I'd like to share them with you, but not with words. With photos. These photos mean a lot to me and bring back a million memories, however this won't be the case with everyone. These photos may mean... nothing. That's perfectly fine. IG that means you were busy doing something meaningful and productive:p. So without further ado here are the greatest biggest controversies and moments in my magic life... that meant nothing. Things that make you say... "oh yeah... kinda forgot about that..."

upload_2020-3-22_19-6-25.png [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. This seems so trivial now.

https://www.tmz.com/2015/03/21/davi...pool-flooding-apartment-building-damage-pump/

OPRAH: Are you ever scared, like, for instance--I mean, I know--I mean, every--all of us who are in front of the camera or, you know, work in any business really are--survive and can look good because of all the people who work with us. But, I mean, in the case where the--the fire and the ropes, like if somebody messes up, you're a goner?
    COPPERFIELD: Yeah, I mean, human error is a really--you know, you have great precautions, you know. In the case of the car illusion I mentioned, it was the end of the show, so there's no plan B that I could go to. But normally there's a plan B and plan C and everybody is really trained to--to move in other directions, so you'll--hopefully you'll know when something goes wrong.
    OPRAH: So when that car fell from the levitation, what did you do?
    COPPERFIELD: I looked real stupid.

010rusty likes this.
  3. OPRAH: Do you ever worry about yourself in dangerous situations?
    COPPERFIELD: I--I do. Actually, I've done some--I mean, that thing with the spikes is real. I mean, that's really tough. I went over Niagara Falls on a raft.
    OPRAH: Yeah.
    COPPERFIELD: And...
    OPRAH: I saw that on TV.
    COPPERFIELD: Yeah, well, that was me. That was no--that was no stunt double, you know? That was the real thing.
    OPRAH: So what are you thinking? I mean, I don't know what the moment before the spikes hit--I mean, is it that second that the illusion happens and you--are you thinking, `Hope this works,' or are you feeling very secure, that you know it's going to--what are you thinking in this moment?
    COPPERFIELD: You try--you try to preserve your sense of logic, not panicking. Being scared is good. Being scared makes you think of all the different, you know, situations that you--you need to be aware of. Panicking is the worst thing, because that's when you lose your sense of timing. You lose your sense of balance; you lose everything. So the thing is to not panic--is the best lesson that I've learned.
    OPRAH: So how did you learn to stay calm in those--those moments?
    COPPERFIELD: I have no idea.
    OPRAH: No idea.
    COPPERFIELD: No.
    OPRAH: So like being chained underwater and stuff like that doesn't kind you no kind of...
    COPPERFIELD: No, I got hurt actually once in rehearsal. I was--I was in a tank of water and I took in--I tore some ligaments in my legs and I took some water in. And it was in a rehearsal, and I was in a wheelchair for a couple weeks. But finally I did it on the show. It was many, many years ago. And I got back on the horse and I did it again. My parents were in the audience and they kept shooting shots of my parents, and they won an Emmy Award that year for their performance.

010rusty likes this.