Old Magic Can Still Teach New Tricks

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
When I was about ten years old I received a magic kit for Christmas. One of those big ones with the words "OVER 50 MAGIC TRICKS" splashed on the box. Now this was in the days before the internet, DVD's, even video tape. So it was a big box, with a lot of plastic playthings and this big book.

I dived into it. Some tricks I got pretty well, some I've never mastered, there were even a couple I never bothered to read. Of course, the ones I knew well, I performed.

My favorite one, because it was the messiest, was called "The Rice Bowls". Essentially, it was two empty rice bowls. You filled one with rice and cover it with the other bowl as you told the story of a child who wanted to feed his family and all he had was one bowl full of rice. With a little gesture, you explained that the child wanted to help his family so badly, he closed his eyes and wished on a star. You then lift the top bowl off and the audience sees that the quantity of rice doubled. The rice overflowed all over as the bowl was lifted.

The story continues that he goes of with his two bowls full of rice to feed his family. But when he gets there, his mother says that there is no water to drink and they can't eat without water. (What an ungrateful bunch of .......) So you make some more magical gestures over one of the bowls, tell the audience that the kid made one more wish and the rice in that bowl turns into water. A clever trick. Personally, I never liked the story. I mean, the kid ended up with the same amount of rice he started....

Anyway, I wrote all that to make a point. This was from a toy magic kit. Something you see at KBToys for about $30.00.

So now, about 35 years later, I'm watching "Masters of Illusion" on television. This show showcases magicians who are presently performing in Vegas, all doing one piece from their routines. A magician named "Mi Ling" (I think) started her bit. To my surprise, she did "The Rice Bowls" trick. Exactly the same trick, but instead of telling a story, she danced about with other dancers.

I was stunned only because of where I learned that trick. It reinforces the idea that no matter how many people may know a trick or even a secret, there are many many more people who don't!

Also, if this person can take a trick that I, at ten years old, learned in magic toy kit, can not only be successful in Vegas but get that trick on national television, then the trick really doesn't matter.

Sure, one has to have the techniques down, the manual skills, but the more important element is the "selling", the performance. Exposure doesn't matter. I saw her perform that trick, knew exactly how it was done, and I still enjoyed it. In fact, she was amazing! She had a much much better performance than the patter that was given to me.

I know a lot of you get it what I'm trying to say. But from time to time, we still get the "Criss Angle sucks" or the "Masked Magician sucks" or the "YouTube exposure sucks", etc, threads.

The point is, those things don't matter. In the long run, the method of the magic or the exposure of the magic doesn't matter. A magician using camera edits or stooges doesn't matter. Your method of performance is your method. Don't concern yourself with how anyone else does it.

Some guy burning your hands or yelling out that he knows the secret really doesn't matter. Even if they get a brief victory, that's all it is. Your victory will continue. Because for every heckler or "exposer" out there, there a many many more people who just want to be entertained.

And if you make your show for those people, you will be successful. Even if you only know one ACR trick, it can be the most wonderful thing to those people -- only if you make it for them. Don't do magic for yourself, don't fret over the exposure out there, don't be afraid of hecklers. You do it for the people who want to be entertained. Make your show all about and for them.

That's the big secret to any magic.

ETA: Sorry this was so long. Her performance and my memories of that trick made me just want to share.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Indeed. I realized this a while ago so i started searching through my old magic kits. Turns out there was neat close up Nest of Boxes routine in there. So i decided to try it out and it absolutely killed. I did for one of my dad's friends (who rich as hell) and he decided to book me for a private party! So ya, don't underestimate the simple tricks.

Sep 1, 2007
I disagree. I think everything matters and should be taken into account. You're not going to get anywhere if you face the problems with "whatever, I don't care".

And always remember that the new tricks are based on the old ones. Also remember that the new version isn't necessarily a better one even if it has a cool preview video.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
Wow, that message of this thread changed completely. I thought it was gonna be about old tricks, which it kind of is, but the main point is in the last few paragraphs.
And I loved it :D

Thanks, Tumbleweed. :)

I did kinda go in a different direction than I had oringinally expected, but that (also) is the point. Her performance of an old trick not only made me look at the trick a new way, it lead me to other thoughts about it as well.

That's something we all should shoot for with our performances.

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
I disagree. I think everything matters and should be taken into account. You're not going to get anywhere if you face the problems with "whatever, I don't care".

That's not quite the point. It's not a "Whatever, I don't care" attitude, it's more of a "You know the secret? That's okay. It's my job to show you that trick in a way it would 'touch' you, the audience." attitude.

And always remember that the new tricks are based on the old ones. Also remember that the new version isn't necessarily a better one even if it has a cool preview video.

You are right about that of course, and I've never said otherwise. Part of the point I was trying to make is that this person, who did a trick I knew since I was ten years old, reshowed me the exact same trick in her interprative way and it invoked enough influence to think about it and share that with all of you.

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
OwnerM, i really enjoyed reading that. That story you gave was a good example of quality magic. Which we almost always forget about when we perform magic.

And you've pointed out something, that magic starts to leak it's taste when you open up your mind to the boundless variations of an effect that you can do - even if its a lame one. A lot of us are stuck on the "newest bestest trick" wall as we all know. Without giving much thought we delve into these ends and fail at our task.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I've been thinking about the best way to say this for a while:

I agree.

I appreciate this site and the similar ones very much. I own a good number of downloads/disks and loved them as a sort of long-distance in-person way of learning the basics. I also wound up meeting some pretty good people thanks to this place.

Yet the bulk of my practice time has become focused on classic magic. There are some areas of stage magic that I am very enamored by. At this point, card and closeup practice is a lunch-time activity at the office (I have several places to practice alone). After-work time is spent practicing more traditional effects in front of the camera.

Lee Asher runs a blog with a team of unnamed others which emphasises that classic magic can also be great magic. Dan Sperry's 1-on-1s are a perfect fit for the title of this topic.

I personally see a lot of good all around.

Also, I have several episodes of that show recorded on a DVR. Masters of Illusion has become bonding time with my oldest son. If possible I'll verify the perormer's name for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results