One Card Change - Help

Mar 16, 2009
USA
Hey guys, I want to get a "one card change" to add in to some of my tricks. What I mean is something like d+M's "Delusion", or Apollo's "VCR change" 1 on 1. Where you take a card, set the deck down, secretly change the card and are clean enough to hand the card to your spectator for future revelation. It would cut out the need to do other switches that require the deck for me. Something like what I'm referring to is like DL'ing, then turning them face down, performing a gambler's cop and bring it to your pocket and hand the spectator the card which they think is still the first card they saw. I just want something different than this method I just talked about. So, any recommendations or opinions on "delusion", "vcr change" or others?

P.S. If anyone has d+M's "blood" marking system could you tell me how you like it? Is it worth it? Is it easy for the spectator to see?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I like Blood and it has a lot of applications as a marking system. It's not easy to see unless you specifically look for marks (ie riffle down the side of the deck to look for discrepancies).

As far as switches go, there are far too many to name. The simplest and cleanest would simply be to top change it. You could place it on the table and perform some form of the Turnover Change (Breakless Curry, Underground Switch).

Wait... do you mean you want to switch the card without the deck otherwise in any hand? There is a sleight that comes to mind whose name escapes me - anyone who has The Devil's Picturebook, it's the opening sleight of the third phase of Card Under Box.

Mar 16, 2009
USA
I like Blood and it has a lot of applications as a marking system. It's not easy to see unless you specifically look for marks (ie riffle down the side of the deck to look for discrepancies).

As far as switches go, there are far too many to name. The simplest and cleanest would simply be to top change it. You could place it on the table and perform some form of the Turnover Change (Breakless Curry, Underground Switch).

Wait... do you mean you want to switch the card without the deck otherwise in any hand? There is a sleight that comes to mind whose name escapes me - anyone who has The Devil's Picturebook, it's the opening sleight of the third phase of Card Under Box.

Yes I do mean that I want to switch a card without the deck in my hand. Similar to the two examples I mentioned earlier like the VCR change found here but I would secretly change it (not reveal that it's changed right away) and have them hold on to the card. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys, I want to get a "one card change" to add in to some of my tricks. What I mean is something like d+M's "Delusion", or Apollo's "VCR change" 1 on 1. Where you take a card, set the deck down, secretly change the card and are clean enough to hand the card to your spectator for future revelation. It would cut out the need to do other switches that require the deck for me. Something like what I'm referring to is like DL'ing, then turning them face down, performing a gambler's cop and bring it to your pocket and hand the spectator the card which they think is still the first card they saw. I just want something different than this method I just talked about. So, any recommendations or opinions on "delusion", "vcr change" or others?

P.S. If anyone has d+M's "blood" marking system could you tell me how you like it? Is it worth it? Is it easy for the spectator to see?

Don't underestimate the very effect you just said. It plays incredibly powerful on spectators. In fact, Daniel Madison said in one of his lecture notes that this is one of his favorite effects, "bar-none". Try it out and see the reactions you can get.

Mar 9, 2009
I agree that the breakless curry turnover change (or Jamie Badman's underground change/ switch) is a good way to go.

The miracle change by Ed Marlo would also work well for a switch of one card for another as would the Downs change. simple but effective when done well.

Cheers

Jon

Mar 16, 2009
USA
I agree that the breakless curry turnover change (or Jamie Badman's underground change/ switch) is a good way to go.

The miracle change by Ed Marlo would also work well for a switch of one card for another as would the Downs change. simple but effective when done well.

Cheers

Jon

Yes I am familiar with both the miracle switch and the downs change and I use them in other circumstances but I don't want to have the deck I'm my hand of have to have something to put the card down onto. RC the cop change I referred to has worked for me but I was just wondering if there was something better and maybe a little less angle sensitive. Any opinions on delusion or VCR?

Oct 5, 2008
Almada, Portugal
The miracle card switch by Ed Marlo allows you to show the card in your hand, place it on the table and switch it to another card + it let's you in a nice position to produce the card from your pocket. I learnit at E Ninja 2: Weapons. check the switch here (0.34 - 0.43) + You laso can learn another switch called visual retention change (same video at 0.15 - 0.21).

Remeber: the DL idea is also a good one; spectators will freak out.

hope that helps

Joel

EDIT: the bertram change at the malro's miracle card switch work with similar methods, but the bretram change is a color change, the miracle switch is a card switch (kinda obvious), so if you know any one of these, basically you know both switches/changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Yes I am familiar with both the miracle switch and the downs change and I use them in other circumstances but I don't want to have the deck I'm my hand of have to have something to put the card down onto. RC the cop change I referred to has worked for me but I was just wondering if there was something better and maybe a little less angle sensitive. Any opinions on delusion or VCR?

The VCR change seems extremely angley, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
Delusion is pretty cool, it'll take a while to get down though.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
delusion &blood marking sys

delusion will take a lot of practice but if performed well looks really good

as for the blood marking system, it is absolutely amazing from my perspective and has many different applications. your spectators will NEVER even suspect the cards are marked if they are examined. the marking is very very subtle and only recognizable to one who knows the system

edit: and ed marlo's change shown above by jot@ps that is a very good change but like all 2 card switches, is angle sensitive

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
I have a very open card switch that is in my Don't Blink ebook. Basically you hold a card at one of its short ends wave your hand up and down and the card instantly changes very openly. Its an application of a ultility switch I came up with.

Don't blink will be included in my notes seen in my signiture, which will be sold in the near future. If you really want it the card switch though pm your e-mail and i'll hook you up!

Matt

I don't know what its called, but when I want to switch a card then I have the card I want to switch out second from top and the card I want to get rid of face up on the deck, then turn over the two cards as I turn my hand over, giving out the other card. It is very deceptive.

I use the blood marking system in my act at the moment, where I memorise the entire deck of cards in 10 seconds. It gets amazing reactions!

Hope this helps,

Simon_Magic

P.S. if anyone knows what this change is called then please tell me so I don't get told off for revealing magic techniques.

Mar 16, 2009
USA
I don't know what its called, but when I want to switch a card then I have the card I want to switch out second from top and the card I want to get rid of face up on the deck, then turn over the two cards as I turn my hand over, giving out the other card. It is very deceptive.

I use the blood marking system in my act at the moment, where I memorise the entire deck of cards in 10 seconds. It gets amazing reactions!

Hope this helps,

Simon_Magic

P.S. if anyone knows what this change is called then please tell me so I don't get told off for revealing magic techniques.

Blood seems cool but the change your referring to isn't what I'm looking for. I was looking for one that happens without the use of the deck in my hand or a table

I remembered one! I've recently been using it and I'm sorry that it took me so long.

I DM's lecture notes, ONE, he mentions one right at the end of the book in notes. he same trick is also in TWO i think.

It is completely away from the deck, which is what your after.

hope this helps!

Simon_Magic

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results