Opinion about Double Lifts

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
which is the type of double lift you most frequently use and which in your opinion is the least obvious type of double lift?

Mar 14, 2008
For me its the Stuardgordon-double-turnover it looks very natural but it takes a bit of pracitise.

Jul 2, 2008
singapore
i know it varies from magician to magician as hcheng said it depends on how one would normally turn over a single card normally but i was just wondering if there is a particular double lift which is less obvious because of the technique that is required to do it.

I hate when I see a very obvious thumb count in a card routine. I feel It destroys the illusion.
Robbie

I agree. I also have found that most magicians who thumb count do so with their deck-hand up in front of their body like a relic on display when they go into the thumb count. Or indeed just about all of their sleights. It's like they're so guilty about doing secret moves they put it out there so that at least they're being halfway honest.

I do all my thumb counts with the pack at my side, while talking and directing attention elsewhere. A small tip Aaron Fisher gave me once that has served me well ever since. Kudos on your pinky count, that move is like Satan's stepchild.

To the question at hand, I have used a double for years that I learned on my own as a kid. No one taught me how to do one, and a book simply said "turn two cards over and make them look like one." It was an Anneman Card Miracles book I had since I was maybe 10.

Lately, I've been working on Dai Vernon's double techniques, and it's changing how I do the move...for the better, I hope.

Pj

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I like the Stuart Gordon turnover, very nice. Dingle's handling of it, though only vaguely different is also worth noting.

I like to take a double from the middle for switching out cards.

Really, it's a question of turning a double the same way you would a single. i used to do the Dingle pushover double, but found that I was only doing it on a double. Talk about telegraphing your method!

I now use a simple pushover get ready and a book turnover. Though, that said, I am trying to learn the strike double.

CL

Well the 3 most common DL's I use, depending on the effect and what I want to achieve is my own DL from the center. It's based of D&D's but, just happens quicker and for me easier.

I will also use the 1 handed DL taught on Believe. Once you get the knack of it it looks very realistic and is great for fooling even some magicians.

I also use a Strike DL. If you watch the Tivo 1-on-1 my DL looks similar to the one used in that video. I don't like taking pinky counts that often so, I practice my DL alot to the point where I can pick up double's and triple's on command.

-RA69

Aug 1, 2008
Salinas, CA
Basic Double

Just the Basic Double Lift Works Out Great. With A little Talk And Some Use Of your Skills Would Be fine. But also Depends On what Trick I will Perform At that Time. A double Lift Can Look Really Bad With Worn And Used cards Because Of the Edges And the Just the fact that the Cards Will Tend to Swell After So many uses the Spectator will see that you are holding 2 OR 3 cards at Once. But to Really Answer the question Search www.youTube.com And Looking Up Double Lifts. See Which Ones will Fit your Style And Which Ones look the best.

Aug 4, 2008
i use a strike double. funny story though.

when i was 8 years old, someone told me to learn an ambitious card routine i needed to turn 2 cards over as one. This was one of the older magicians in the club. Well, i came back month hitting a strike double every time, which was pretty hard to do (so i was told.). When your a kid, theres no sense of "this is impossible", and i think that really helps in learning card sleights rofl. And thats the double ive been using ever since

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
luh

how would you usually turn over a card? that is the way you should do your double lift

that is exactly the problem with most magicians today:they turn over a double lift way differently than they would turn a single card over. my opinion. find a comfortable way to turn over a duble and then get used to turning single cards over in the same way

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I like this one but i dont know how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E200hk4p7LI

Edit: Not the one that you take the card in the middle.

It's nice to know people like my push-off double. ;)
I been through a lot of doubles in my life and i found its all about the push-off for me at least. I haven't found a source for the push-off double that pushes the 2 cards as 1 perfectly aligned. Usually its your right hand that squares up the cards after the push off. I should put a tutorial up for the people that are interested. It really will take you a long long time to master. took me 6 months of non-stop practice to get it consistent every time. But if there is enough interest, I'll get off my lazy butt and shoot a video for you guys.

Oh, here is another video of the double lift that shows the move closer up.
http://forcesunseen.blogspot.com/

go down to around the middle under the name "Double Lift and the Rotating Change "

-Tony

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Check Card College vol.3.

Chr!s, Dingle's DL is a fake push off.

Cheers,

Hey buddy!

The one I'm thinking of (which was taught to me at a session) was taught to me as 'Dingles push off', which did use an actual push off.

I trust the guy who taught me the move and so didn't research it, I'll not make that mistake a second time!

Thanks for the heads up dude!

CL

Hey buddy!

The one I'm thinking of (which was taught to me at a session) was taught to me as 'Dingles push off', which did use an actual push off.

CL
As written in Kaufman's book The Complete Works of Derek Dingle, Dingle only used one DL, which is a none-push off.

The card guy you met might have confused it with a other double, or maybe its something that Dingle explained in a source other than the book, you'll never know :)

Cheers,

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results