Original or Not Original (or semi-original)?

I have what I believe to be an original color change sleight/utility move.

The problem is, is that I am not 100% sure if it is original...I've been involved with magic a little over 2 decades (I'm 34, began when I was 12), and I've never seen a color change using this particular method. However, that doesn't mean there isn't...afterall, for centuries people have been exploring deceptions with playing cards.

How would I go about finding out if it is original or not?

Thank you very much,

- Steven

Leadsl,

Not one I am ready to release. I took about a 60 second video of myself performing it checking on angles, but it was with a webcam and I was in my boxer/briefs. LOL

I'll have it recorded (fully clothed!) in the next day or so with a good digital camera.

- Steve

Sep 2, 2007
London
The only way you can guarantee it's original is to know every colour change, switch, or other move that might possibly be similar. Given that this is probably impossible, your best bet is to write up your method, or make a video showing the method, and send it privately to some reputable and knowledgeable magicians.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
You might also send a clip to Jon Racherbaumer. He is well regarded as a magic historian and loves seeing new stuff.

May 18, 2008
This is the single hardest thing about releasing magic. However, before I go on, I'd like to go ahead and thank you for considering whether it's original. If everyone thought about that before releasing material, we'd have a lot more innovative effects on the market.

The best thing to do is run it by knowledgeable professionals. Joe M. Turner, Tyler Wilson and Jeff Prace are three people who know more about crediting than anyone I've ever met. Afterwards, post it on a forum. People will be very quick to point out what it looks like, what it's similar to and anything that they've seen like it.

Afterwards, if you've made sure it's original, gotten necessary permissions and have credited, it's ready for release. Making an effort to credit and be original and missing an obscure reference is different than not trying, so magicians generally respect it.

popchris3,

I appreciate your advice, thank you.

Basically I am just wanting to avoid ripping someone(s) else's material off. I in no way shape or form consider myself a 'creator of magic', it's something I've never considered doing. I was just messing about with a deck of cards the other day and stumbled my way on to this method.

I'm sure many a magician have done the exact same thing only to find out later that it wasn't 'new' after all. It was just new to them.

I won't be particularly devastated if this turns out to be the case with my idea. I'll just be fortunate that I have one more thing in my arsenal that I figured out for myself, and the excitement of the possibility that it may be something new is an added bonus.

Thank's again,

- Steve

May 18, 2008
Absolutely! I HUGELY respect not wanting to rip another magician off. What I said is just the best way I found to find out. There definitely is something awesome about being told that your idea is new from huge names, even if just to know that you created something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results