Origins - I'm starting over.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
WARNING - THIS IS A FAIRLY LONG READ. PREPARE YOURSELF.

Hello.

I'd like to talk about creative expansionism, or perhaps starting at square one one. I'm a big fan of card magic, and have worked a long time at it. However, recent critique in many, if not all, of my online performances, have forced me to take this position.

I will not be posting videos anytime soon. Maybe for a contest here or there, but for nothing else, and they will most likely be private or password protected. For personal entertainment, I'll probably just keep them on my computer and view them.

Why, you ask?

Because right now, I am a beginner again. I'm picking up cards for the first time. Anything I know how to do in the intermediate to advanced region I am forgetting. I am looking at Royal Road to Card Magic like it's a newfound source of glory and prestidigitation.

I'll return, sometime. I'll check in on the forums now and again, but I'm going to read my books and practice in solitude. I'll amaze people with simple techniques, and build from there.

I want to progress, so I am taking a backwards leap of faith. I heard one magician - I cannot remember who - created most of his material by himself, away from the magical world. I'm taking a similar approach, and regaining the wonder I experienced when I first saw Tivo 2.0 or the pass.

So for anyone struggling with themselves in the art, I suggest taking this path. My pet name for it is the Origin Approach. It consists of you starting over completely and learning everything from scratch with patience.

I'm doing this out of desperation. From the critique I have gotten, I need to completely begin anew. Hopefully it will help me, and I'll pick up some literature on the way, so if you guys can recommend any books for me, I'd appreciate it. I'll look up each and every one of them.

Wish me luck, and I'll see you again. I'll check the forums for the next week or so to answer questions associated with this thread, but afterwards, that's gonna be it for a while.

Cheers,

Ian

Jul 14, 2008
I am now taking this path because I haven't picked up a deck of cards all summer due to other commitments. All I can say is good luck to you and hopefully it'll all be worth at the end.

The magician who did this is Jerry Andrus. He was not connected to the magic world in any way, except for releasing his material.

If you could do me a favor I would be most greatful. could you post on this thread each week on how your progress is going? Because this sounds like a good idea to me, and want toknow how it plays out before trying it myself.

Best of luck.

Dan

Thank you for doing this, I hope others can follow by example and understand the point of magic.

Go slowly and don't rush anything, work on your presentation first and then start working on your effects. Best of Luck to you and I will be doing the same in a few weeks time. I'll have roughly four years to get my mentalism in full shape.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
If you want to stay just with cards, the royal road is probably the best answer.

A good supplement would be card college volume 1.

If you want a good varied, sleight of hand based view of everything in magic, I would suggest The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay (out of print, 10-15 dollars on ebay) it has card stuff, along with coins and many other things.

I'd suggest at least picking up some basic coin magic, even if you only perform card magic, to help your hands dexterity and expand your magical knowledge. If you just wanted basics Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is an excellent reference.

Good luck.

Jan 21, 2009
Keep a record of your journey, and make it as detailed as need be. This'll help you when you look back on the experience, and may be relevant to anyone wishing to undertake a similiar journey.

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Keep a record of your journey, and make it as detailed as need be. This'll help you when you look back on the experience, and may be relevant to anyone wishing to undertake a similiar journey.

Keep it secret, keep it safe.

Good advice

And 2 points for the LOTR's reference.

Aug 4, 2009
I'd like to see before and after videos..

When I break out of the 'intermediate' bracket, I'm looking forward to doing the same thing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results