Out of curiosity - 144 (Blue &) Gold Monarchs

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I was wondering....

I have 3 decks of the pre-release version of the monarchs - the blue and gold backs. They are unopened, and tuck boxes are largely identical to the regular black & white version tuck boxes. If I was to sell some of them, are they worth more opened because you can know for sure what they are, or are they worth more still sealed? If sealed, then how do you give assurance to a buyer that they are actually getting the right decks?

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 622

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I was wondering....

I have 3 decks of the pre-release version of the monarchs - the blue and gold backs. They are unopened, and tuck boxes are largely identical to the regular black & white version tuck boxes. If I was to sell some of them, are they worth more opened because you can know for sure what they are, or are they worth more still sealed? If sealed, then how do you give assurance to a buyer that they are actually getting the right decks?

Thoughts?

Anything is worth selling is worth more sealed.

Now, since I'm new to the whole collectible deck thing. Did the blue and gold backs come in the same boxes as the actual release boxes?
sounds odd to me that the pre-release AND the actual release would have the SAME box.

My question is how do you know they are pre-release if they are both packaged the same? Not doubting what your claim at all; legitimate question is all.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
My question is how do you know they are pre-release if they are both packaged the same? Not doubting what your claim at all; legitimate question is all.

The Pre-Release version was meant to be the original Monarch version. There was never going to be a blue and white version until we scrapped the blue and gold version, so the tuck cases (which were meant to be used for the original version) were not changed. There is precisely ZERO difference between the tuck cases of both versions (at least the first blue and white printing, newer printings have small variations).

Don't listen to people who say there is a way to tell based on how the seal was put on the deck, or how the cellophane was wrapped, etc. Those are all unfounded rumors. We did not change the outside appearance of the deck.

There are two ways to know you have a Pre-Release Monarch. 1 - You purchased it during the pre-release event (before the blue and white version even existed in our minds yet!) or 2 - Your deck is open and you can see it. If you are buying from a second hand seller, you have no assurances that what is inside the deck is a pre-release version. I would NEVER buy an unopened pre-release deck. Yea, that means the value of the deck is lower, but if the deck is sealed you can't prove that the value is higher in the first place.

Difficult decisions! I have a single deck myself, and I chose to open it. I never regretted it. It is mine, and I can appreciate it for what it is, a rare, beautiful deck. With these, each person has to make the call for themselves.

// L

Reactions: TheCoastalCardician

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I was wondering....

Thoughts?
Sheesh if you're selling them I'll buy one (or two)!

Feb 27, 2015
Can you open it carefully? If you peel off the seal and then put it back on, the deck wont look used, even though it has technically be opened. Assuming that they are the right decks, I think you could easily get just as much for a perfect condition, confirmed rare deck.

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Can you open it carefully? If you peel off the seal and then put it back on, the deck wont look used, even though it has technically be opened. Assuming that they are the right decks, I think you could easily get just as much for a perfect condition, confirmed rare deck.
Removing the seal and carefully placing it back sounds like a good idea. However once you remove the cellophane the deck already is considered opened / used.

Feb 27, 2015
True, but I think it would be worth it. In the long run, you would probably get more for it b/c it was confirmed

Jan 28, 2015
I can only speak from my personal point of view, but as a deck collector myself I wouldn't be thrilled if it was already opened and the cellophane wasn't also intact and more than likely wouldn't buy it, confirmed or otherwise.

|| Steven

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I can only speak from my personal point of view, but as a deck collector myself I wouldn't be thrilled if it was already opened and the cellophane wasn't also intact and more than likely wouldn't buy it, confirmed or otherwise.

|| Steven

The only reason an opened deck like this would still be sellable is because there are only 144 of them. So technically opened or unopened, they are still SUPER rare / valuable to the card collecting community. Treat it like collecting banknotes, when it comes to the old or rare ones, there tends to be a high price for it even if it is less-than-perfect condition. I wouldn't care if it came to this deck, I'd be a happy camper whether it's opened or not.

-Bryant

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results